Blade screws | Golden Skate

Blade screws

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Dear fellow skaters,
This is my first post so I am sorry if I’m doing it wrong,

My blade screws are coming quite loose every session, and I’m finding myself having to tighten them frequently? Is this an issue with the screws and are there better types of screws to use?

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
More info needed.

(1) In another thread, you said you have the new Aura boots. You first need to check whether Aura boots require special screws. Most traditional boots use the same type of traditional screws (self-tapping sheet metal screws). Edea has much thinner soles than traditional boots and require custom screws supplied by Edea. New blades typically come with traditional screws supplied by the blade manufacturer. For Edea boots, you need to be careful not to use the traditional screws that come with the blades. So, first verify whether Aura boots are compatible with traditional screws, or whether they require custom screws (like Edea). [By the way, I've found that the traditional screws supplied by blade manufacturers these days, even for high-end blades, are often junk. But this affects their longevity (mushroomed heads and rusting, e.g.) rather than initial grip. I purchase good grade stainless steel screws instead.]

(2) Who mounted the blades? If they were mounted by Aura, presumably they know the proper screws, drill-hole diameter, and screw torque to use. If they were mounted by some other tech, presumably this was the first or one of the first pairs of Aura boots he's worked on, and he may not have used the screws, drill-hole diameter, or screw torque appropriate for the Aura.

(3) How many screws have been inserted (sole plate and heel plate)? Are you still on the "temporary mount" (only 2 screws in the elongated slots in the sole plate, only 2 screws in the elongated slots in the heel plate)? Screws on a temporary mount are susceptible to loosening. Or are you now on a "permanent mount" (additional screws inserted in the round holes in the sole plate and heel plate)? Do all the screws come loose, or just particular ones?

(4) How long have you been skating on these boots [approximately how many sessions/how many hours of ice time/what level (e.g., jumps)]? Typically, with a new mount, screws need to be tightened more frequently, as the boot conforms to the blade. Do you have to stop and tighten the screws during a session? Are the screws in fact tightening, or do they rotate freely (indicating that the screw hole is stripped)?

I can better advise you once you've answered the above.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
More info needed.

(1) In another thread, you said you have the new Aura boots. You first need to check whether Aura boots require special screws. Most traditional boots use the same type of traditional screws (self-tapping sheet metal screws). Edea has much thinner soles than traditional boots and require custom screws supplied by Edea. New blades typically come with traditional screws supplied by the blade manufacturer. For Edea boots, you need to be careful not to use the traditional screws that come with the blades. So, first verify whether Aura boots are compatible with traditional screws, or whether they require custom screws (like Edea). [By the way, I've found that the traditional screws supplied by blade manufacturers these days, even for high-end blades, are often junk. But this affects their longevity (mushroomed heads and rusting, e.g.) rather than initial grip. I purchase good grade stainless steel screws instead.]

(2) Who mounted the blades? If they were mounted by Aura, presumably they know the proper screws, drill-hole diameter, and screw torque to use. If they were mounted by some other tech, presumably this was the first or one of the first pairs of Aura boots he's worked on, and he may not have used the screws, drill-hole diameter, or screw torque appropriate for the Aura.

(3) How many screws have been inserted (sole plate and heel plate)? Are you still on the "temporary mount" (only 2 screws in the elongated slots in the sole plate, only 2 screws in the elongated slots in the heel plate)? Screws on a temporary mount are susceptible to loosening. Or are you now on a "permanent mount" (additional screws inserted in the round holes in the sole plate and heel plate)? Do all the screws come loose, or just particular ones?

(4) How long have you been skating on these boots [approximately how many sessions/how many hours of ice time/what level (e.g., jumps)]? Typically, with a new mount, screws need to be tightened more frequently, as the boot conforms to the blade. Do you have to stop and tighten the screws during a session? Are the screws in fact tightening, or do they rotate freely (indicating that the screw hole is stripped)?

I can better advise you once you've answered the above.

1) I don’t know what screws were used as I wasn’t present during blade mounting. On the trial boots the screws had to be cut down to size by the mounter yet he stated that these news ones made sure screws could fit perfectly.
2) I’m in UK so Aura technicians doesn’t really exist. The retired blade mounter was one of the best in the country though.
3) three screws in heel plate, 6 on front.
4) about a month or two skating in them without problems before this. I only have to tighten them after sessions. I’ve tightened them twice so far, both in same week. I am not certain but maybe the screw is loosing its thread. I might try some of the screws from another boot on it to confirm if it’s a problem.
I’m training triples.

It’s only on my landing boot that this is happening. :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I can't imagine how skates with loose landing boot screws could possibly be safe to continue skating on. :eekn: I'm no expert, but I wouldn't skate on them until you can get them fixed by an actual Aura technician, even if you have to mail them somewhere.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1) I don’t know what screws were used as I wasn’t present during blade mounting. On the trial boots the screws had to be cut down to size by the mounter yet he stated that these news ones made sure screws could fit perfectly.
2) I’m in UK so Aura technicians doesn’t really exist. The retired blade mounter was one of the best in the country though.
3) three screws in heel plate, 6 on front.
4) about a month or two skating in them without problems before this. I only have to tighten them after sessions. I’ve tightened them twice so far, both in same week. I am not certain but maybe the screw is loosing its thread. I might try some of the screws from another boot on it to confirm if it’s a problem.
I’m training triples.

It’s only on my landing boot that this is happening. :)
(1) You should still contact Aura and verify whether they require custom screws. If they do, they should have included the screws and provided special mounting instructions. Maybe it was an inadvertent omission, especially since they're a new operation. But before you do anything else, you should check.

(2) It's not likely that the screws are losing their threads (unless they're rusting; you should check). Even the material in cheap screws is going to be harder than the material in the sole and heel. More likely the screw holes have become enlarged and the threads in the screw holes are partially stripped. Once screws are not properly maintained and become loose, shock and vibration (especially from landing jumps) cause the screws to wear away at the screw holes: it becomes a progressively worse problem until the screws don't hold at all. Your tech may need to do permanent plugs of the old holes, redrill, and remount. But you need to contact Aura to find out what plug material and adhesive are suitable for their boots. Also, ask if there is any thread-locking compound compatible with their boots.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for your help .
My coach had checked and thinks that the hole appears fine, as when he tries to pull at the screw before loosening it it stays in fine. He thinks that perhaps the wrong sort of screws may have been used so I’ll try a different type tomorrow or maybe Monday. I’ll Contact aura if that doesn’t work :)
The "pull test" only shows that the holes aren't grossly enlarged or stripped, not less severely damaged (but sufficiently damaged not to secure the screws properly). A different type of screw entails either a larger diameter, a different thread, or both. You might gain temporary relief, but since the material about the screw holes have already been threaded to accept screws of a certain diameter and thread (and most likely damaged to some degree), the new screws most likely will loosen again; and you will end up with more severely damaged holes. As Mr. Spock would say, logic dictates that you contact Aura first to determine what the correct screws should be. And I agree with the other poster: landing jumps on a blade with an unreliable mount is a dangerous proposition.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
The "pull test" only shows that the holes aren't grossly enlarged or stripped, not less severely damaged (but sufficiently damaged not to secure the screws properly). A different type of screw entails either a larger diameter, a different thread, or both. You might gain temporary relief, but since the material about the screw holes have already been threaded to accept screws of a certain diameter and thread (and most likely damaged to some degree), the new screws most likely will loosen again; and you will end up with more severely damaged holes. As Mr. Spock would say, logic dictates that you contact Aura first to determine what the correct screws should be. And I agree with the other poster: landing jumps on a blade with an unreliable mount is a dangerous proposition.

Firstly, I love the integration of Star Trek :). Thanks for all the help - it’s sorted now. I actually ended up contacting an Aura distributor whilst in the skate shop - the screws had rusted but the holes were otherwise fine.

For everybody’s general information - the screws required are not custom - however you must use 10mm instead of 12mm. Aura sometimes supply distributors with 10mm stainless steel acres that don’t rust which are good.

I’ll keep everybody updated from time to time if any issues with screw replacements etc

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Keep a watchful eye for rust even with stainless screws. Aura skates appear to use carbon fiber in their shells, and many metal fasteners are susceptible to galvanic corrosion when in contact with it. Carbon fiber will corrode aluminum for example.

While it's a huge improvement over plain galvanized screws, even 316 stainless will eventually corrode in contact with carbon fiber.