All-time favorite ladies skaters? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

All-time favorite ladies skaters?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will take it on faith that we're only discussing ladies singles skaters, and not our favorite ladies who might be half of a pairs or dance partnership.

I have several favorites, for different reasons.

Dorothy Hamill was part of the glorious 1976 Olympics that began my lifelong love affair with the sport. You never forget your first love.

Michelle Kwan, because there were so many stunning programs, and also because I wasn't afraid she would melt down.

Midori Ito, because I've always loved an athlete, but that's not all. Did she have a pretty spiral? No. Was the joy of skating evident in every stroke? Yes. Her first Olympic free skate completely stole the thunder of the "Battle of the Carmens."

A little before my time, but...

Trixi Schuba, because there is something admirable about knowing the rules and using them to absolutely demolish the competition. And I still kinda mourn the loss of school figures.

Tenley Albright, because she lives her best life. Polio victim to OGM to surgeon and faculty member at Harvard Med.

I will take it on faith that we're only discussing ladies singles skaters, and not our favorite ladies who might be half of a pairs or dance partnership.

Why did Tai Babilonia suddenly jump into my mind? :)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well....to each his own I guess. most figure skating before the 80's is very boring and unappealing to me except toller.

Oh, my. You are missing out terribly.

None of today's skaters would be where they are without the groundbreaking work of their predecessors. It's not just me saying that... today's stars say that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did Tai Babilonia suddenly jump into my mind? :)

LOL Yep, she would be on the list.

And, of course, my all time favorite, Turkish ice dancer Alisa Agafonova, who is the most stunning female athlete in any sport, in the history of forever. Opinions to the contrary are just flat wrong.

Competitive results be damned, there is something to be said for just plain old jaw-dropping beauty.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My all-time favorite is Michelle Kwan because of her charisma, artistry and body of work. It was because of her that I became a figure skating fan.

Through YouTube, I became a fan of Janet Lynn. She skated like an angel. For pure skating, she is still the gold standard.

In the post-Kwan era, it’s Mirai Nagasu. She is very underrated, IMO, and was always underscored.

Of current skaters, I like Satoko Miyahara and was impressed by Rika Kihira this past season.

Lambari

Final Flight
Retired:

Mao Asada

Yuna Kim

Sasha Cohen

Midori Ito

Current:

Alena Kostornaia

Rika Kihira

Honorable mentions: Yulia Lipnitskaya, Oksana Baiul, Lucinda Ruh, Polina Tsurskaya, Anastasia Gubanova

I also really liked Zijun Li. She never won any major title and sometimes lacked the fire and individuality at her free skates but she was always a gorgeous skater, with light jumps, good skating skills and spins. She had everything, a ton of talent, but her PCS marks never rose much, always lowballed, and sometimes she had issues with UR. Sad that she retired. My favourite performances from her: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is one of my favourite program's of Cynthia Phaneuf's, despite the one fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cKTfVQFyg

Many people thought this should have won her the bronze medal at worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ65cEPvg7E

As a baby at 4CC. This moved her up from something like 12th to the podium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3KVbvSvr4

Skate Canada 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLT_Mg33zM

She also did an absolutely beautiful program to Claire de Lune, which I can't find.

thanks for providing all those... i will post a few of Josée's

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Josée's

GPF SP

The Sweater *

Moon River *

1993 LP Nationals

1994 SP Worlds

Avec le temps*

* those numbers were done as a pro skater. Josée was lucky to have the power and charisma.. and to be skating in an era when pro competitions were popular in North America... so, she indeed participated in many, won some... those numbers are from either shows or competitions and remain some of her iconic moments. Skating pro for her reveal to many what some hardcore fans like myself knew already : she was a wonderful performer...

i miss the 90s with the big big big lutzes :)

cabres

On the Ice
My no. 1 :
Akiko Suzuki. I love her programs and I found her very charismatique.

I also love;
Carolina Kostner
Yuna Kim
Oksana Bayul
Maria Butyrskaya

My dream podium was Worlds 2012: Kostner, Leonova, Suzuki

Among current competitors:
Evgenia Medvedeva

I don't wach very often Yuna's programs, but I do sometimes and I think:
Yuna Kim is the best ever!!

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I am loving this, but also finding it really interesting how easy it is to tell when people got into skating. A few seem to transcend time (Janet Lynn, Midori Ito), but for the most part I am guessing everybody's loves start with when they first started watching. I debated putting Janet Lynn on my list because I love the sheer joy of her skating, but she was before my time and I don't have the sheer level of emotional engagement with her that I did with a Josee Chouinard or a Midori Ito. It makes it a very different list than my greatest female skaters. The other thing I note is how very different the factors are which make someone a favourite. I love the sheer joy in skating. I don't think I shall ever forget the first time I saw Irina Slutskaya skate, for instance, and how absolutely happy she was. She became a much better skater with better programs later on, but it was the absolute love of the ice that caught me. My list seems to have a lot of these joyous skaters on.

Merjan

On the Ice
In no order,
Kristi Yamaguchi,
Shizuka Arakawa,
Satoko Miyahara

+ Laura Lepistö & Susanna Pöykiö

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I could pick any of these ladies out even in a dark arena, just by the way the moved, all a joy to watch just moving across the ice.

Dorothy Hamill
Katrina Witt
Denise Biellmann (professional career after leaving those pesky figures behind)
Chen Lu
Kristy Yamaguchi
Michelle Kwan
Sarah Hughes
Shizuka Arakawa
Joannie Rochette
Yuna Kim
Evgenia Medvedeva

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen
Mao Asada
Michelle Kwan
Yuna Kim
Lu Chen
Midori Ito
Katarina Witt
Fumie Suguri
Oksana Baiul
Ashley Wagner

Of recent skaters there are several I like but hope that Alena Kanysheva, in particular, doesn’t get lost in the Russian Ladies shuffle. I thought her free skate last season was the best out of the juniors in all disciplines and that she had a real ability to deliver on the intent and performance; I hope she has the chance to keep developing her talents with solid programs over the next few years. I think You Young and Rika Kihira have the potential to develop into some of my all time favorites one day, as well.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
This is one of my favourite program's of Cynthia Phaneuf's, despite the one fall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cKTfVQFyg

Many people thought this should have won her the bronze medal at worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ65cEPvg7E

As a baby at 4CC. This moved her up from something like 12th to the podium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3KVbvSvr4

Skate Canada 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLT_Mg33zM

She also did an absolutely beautiful program to Claire de Lune, which I can't find.

Thanks by the way! Great programs

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
My magic ladies, not in order, because there is no comparative order of magnitude for what makes them so special:

Sasha Cohen
Midori Ito
Oksana Baiul
Janet Lynn
Lucinda Ruh

I like and admire many others like Michelle Kwan, Rika, Mao, Yu-Na, Alena K, Yulia, but the five above are the magic ones to me. They're not even the best skaters, with the exception of Janet, all of the others have glaring imperfections, but for me, each has a special element that transcends such mundane matters.

Big Deal

Final Flight
1. Yu-Na Kim as the best all round skater of all time
2. Janet Lynn , made a revolution and the rules has been changed because of her to introduce the Short Program in FS.
3. Denise Bielmann. Faaaar ahead of her time technically, having 3 Lutz when a Toe loop + Salchow was enough for oly Gold and the longest legacy until nowdays. Also a very lengthy succesfull carrrier as pro.
4. Michelle Kwan. Style and longevity
5. Kristi Yamaguchi
6.Midori Ito.

gotoschool

Medalist
1. Mao Asada for me the best balance of transcendent artistry and elegance, ideal posture, emotional range and resonance, great skating skills and magnificent step sequences, and a wide range of technical excellence from the triple axel, triple flip and loops to highly flexible, dramatic and stylish spirals, and my favorite one handed Biellmann,
2. Midori Ito- most powerful jumps with an incredible triple axel, fabulous skating skills and speed, emotionally compelling
3. Chen Lu- transcendent artistry, marvelous musicality and grace and lovely delayed rotation on her jumps
4. Kristi Yamaguchi- fine elegance and musicality and lovely expression
Midori was an inspiration for Mao and Kristi Yamaguchi was an inspiration for Chen Lu.

Current skating favorites in seniors: Rika Kihira, Alina Zagitova and Mai Mihara.