All-time favorite ladies skaters? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

All-time favorite ladies skaters?

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I can only say Evgenia Medvedeva :) So many talented ladies, so many different styles, different eras with different appeals, but for me it's her. I love her skating style and her personal story.

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow... i guess you need to catch up :)

they are both wonderful skaters, great skating skills and power.... both are at canadian champions (3 times for josee, 2 times for cynthia).. both went to the olympics.. .both got a personal best placement of 5th in the world.... both could have gotten better results but were not super consistent....

josee had issues with nerves but when she hit the first jump, could skate clean... both reach GPF, josée even won bronze at her GPF... both have medaled atGPs... Josee won IDF and Cynthia won SCI... cynthia was a canadian champion at a very young age... in 2003-04.. but her coaches decided she wasn't ready for worlds... she went to junior wolds instead.. however, she won silver at 4cc.... unfortunately for her, she grew and lost her momentum... she is about 5'8 which is very tall for a skater and led to a lot of injuries... and during that time, Joannie rose to the top in Canada... Cynthia won her second national title in 2010-11...

finally both ladies had great powerful lutzes and wonderful presentation. you can ask mrrice ;)

Both ladies were mature, tall, power skaters - a type seemingly out of favor with all the new, wonderkids. It is nice to have different choices and styles. In another thread we were discussing Phaneuf doing Cleopatra - a character not well suited to our youthful skaters of today. One thing I liked about Sochi was the range of skaters from the mature Yuna Kim, Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner to the youthful Julia Lipnitskaya. I hope that we as fans can celebrate a larger range of skaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Both ladies were mature, tall, power skaters - a type seemingly out of favor with all the new, wonderkids. It is nice to have different choices and styles. In another thread we were discussing Phaneuf doing Cleopatra - a character not well suited to our youthful skaters of today. One thing I liked about Sochi was the range of skaters from the mature Yuna Kim, Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner to the youthful Julia Lipnitskaya. I hope that we as fans can celebrate a larger range of skaters.

yup... i like the power skaters from the old days ;) but if Cynthia is 5'8 Josée was quite short at 5'2 if i recall.. she just was very athletic and not afraid to jump... she was doing the 3a in practice at a time when only Ito had done it on a regular basis...

colormyworld240

Medalist
Zagitova because of her programs and performances in the olympic season, especially her expressions in Black Swan. Her performances are more subtle than dramatic, but they feel sincere. And that she has both beautiful jumps and spins, when a lot of the time it's one or the other. She also has an amazing story and I love that she remains humble and herself despite all the successes. The personal stories from some of the children (and parents) who meet her are very touching.

But Shcherbakova is the only skater that makes me feel like I'm skating with her. Her musicality is so unique, she feels her programs like no one else. She's probably my favourite even though I don't think her jumps, spins, or skating skills are as good as her compatriots'. Which is strange because she's my favourite skater :confused:.

Jetta

Rinkside
These are my top 4. They are all just a joy to watch. They combine great performance ability with superb skating skills and most importantly- a lovely and masterful flow over the ice. Figure skating is not solely a jumping competition, but sadly it seems like that’s what it has become.

Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Oksana Baiul
Satoko Miyahara

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Even though her endeavours post-2006 have been mostly embarrassing, as a competitive figure skater I was always very fond of Slutskaya. Bubbly personality and a lovely smile with great jumps, athleticism, and speed.

Honorary mention goes to trailblazers Ito, Bonaly and Kim.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
All of my favorites were mentioned already, save for one: Kiira Korpi (or at least I think she hasn't been mentioned yet).

Whenever I saw her skating, I always thought to myself -- if she ever puts it all together, I have no idea where they'd put her, but hopefully at the top.

<3

treblemakerem

On the Ice
My all time favorite is Midori Ito.
There are lots of skaters I like but none of them even comes close to her for me. She may have been skating mostly before I was born or very young but still she is my favorite.

monochrom3

On the Ice
Shizuka Arakawa's 2006 Olympic LP was my introduction to figure skating as a young girl watching it on Japanese TV; her Ina Bauer is ingrained in my memory and up till now I still think she has the best Ina Bauer. She will always be my sentimental favorite.

Yuna Kim, the second skater I loved, and also my true introduction to the inner workings of figure skating. I learnt about jumps, and artistry and I cheered for her successes and losses. Her textbook technique jumps are unrivaled till now, the sheer ease of her jumps and landings and her artistry on ice were unmatched.

And last but not least, Alina Zagitova, the third ladies skater who I loved. Her Don Quixote remains a classic, the sheer grittiness and the way she stuck it together to get that 3Lz3Lo after she initially missed it turned her from a skater I liked to a skater I loved. I don't often like skaters as young as her, and I got to know both Arakawa and Yuna in their later years. It was really great learning to grow with a skater as well, and as I got to know more about her, I enjoyed both her strengths and her struggles, and found I really enjoyed her as a competitor on ice and as a person off ice.

macy

Record Breaker
in no particular order-

Alena Kostornaya
Ashley Wagner
Alissa Czisny
Yuna Kim
Mao Asada
Gracie Gold
Wakaba Higuchi
Evgenia Medvedeva
Kamila Valieva
Rika Kihira

macy

Record Breaker
Zagitova because of her programs and performances in the olympic season, especially her expressions in Black Swan. Her performances are more subtle than dramatic, but they feel sincere. And that she has both beautiful jumps and spins, when a lot of the time it's one or the other. She also has an amazing story and I love that she remains humble and herself despite all the successes. The personal stories from some of the children (and parents) who meet her are very touching.

But Shcherbakova is the only skater that makes me feel like I'm skating with her. Her musicality is so unique, she feels her programs like no one else. She's probably my favourite even though I don't think her jumps, spins, or skating skills are as good as her compatriots'. Which is strange because she's my favourite skater :confused:.

i feel similarly about Rachael Flatt. She was one of my favorites during the time she competed, but she didn't have the best artistry, skating skills, or spins. what always drew me to her was that she always skated with a ton of passion and heart. i loved watching her skate because you knew she loved it.