Boots too "high"? | Golden Skate

Boots too "high"?

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
Can skating boots be too "high"?

I've been skating in Edea boots in the past months, but they were too narrow at the ball for my feet type, so i switched to jackson. I have narrow heels, my feet is high(around the red circle, see pic), but around the ball of my foot they are rather flat and wide.

The heel of my new skates (Men's debut fusion) fits like a dream, zero slippage. Around the red circle, it fits perfectly, much better than my Edeas. Around the ball of my foot, they fit well (i cant move my feet left or right at all, it feels supportive), and my toes slightly brush the end of my skates.
However, i can "lift" my toes quite much and and a tiny portion of the ball of my feet a bit up (blue line) what i never excperienced in Edeas.

It feels crazy weird, considering that my edeas were super (painfully, tho) tight.

Is this normal with jacksons? I'm not sure how they should fit.

Picture: https://imgur.com/a/J24guMV

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've never worn the Jackson Debut Fusion, but I am wearing the Jackson Elite (previous leather version). According to Jackson, they are formed on the same lasts. Compared to Riedells I previously wore (never wore Edeas), my Jacksons have a higher toebox. Often, this is a welcome feature for many skaters, since it reduces the chances of toe cramping. Until recently, I've had no problems with it. My coach has me working on deeper edges, and quick changes of edges. The constant shifting caused my toes to flex and rub against the inside of the boot too much. I solved this by cutting out conformal toepads from Ultrasoft Poron sheet foam, and covered both sides with moleskin. I skate with socks, so I slip the toepads under my socks to hold them in place. These cut down the amount of toe movement, but are so soft they don't cause irritation.

If the extra height in the toebox doesn't bother you, you don't need to do anything. If it does, a simple pad will do the trick.

vlaurend

Final Flight
If the extra height in the toebox doesn't bother you, you don't need to do anything. If it does, a simple pad will do the trick.

Or you might try heat molding the boots again and having someone press the toe box down while they are still warm on your feet, reducing the height of the toe box and creating a little more length instead. The reason I'm suggesting someone else shape the toe box for you is because pressing down on it yourself would be hard to do without bending your ankles and you don't want to bend your ankles while heat molding (since it can create premature creasing). For that matter, I suppose it might also be possible to just heat the front of each boot with a hair dryer and press the toe boxes down to re-shape them.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Or you might try heat molding the boots again and having someone press the toe box down while they are still warm on your feet, reducing the height of the toe box and creating a little more length instead. The reason I'm suggesting someone else shape the toe box for you is because pressing down on it yourself would be hard to do without bending your ankles and you don't want to bend your ankles while heat molding (since it can create premature creasing). For that matter, I suppose it might also be possible to just heat the front of each boot with a hair dryer and press the toe boxes down to re-shape them.
Yeah, but that's the problem. If the length and width of the toebox currently fit, then flattening it will change the length and width, perhaps to the point where they don't fit. I guess you can always remold if that's the case.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My understanding is that Jackson is designed with a higher toebox than some other skates. It sounds like your last pair was way too small. If the higher toebox is causing you problems bc your foot is shifting around, bring it to the attention of the person who fitted you. If it’s not, you just need to get used to the difference.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Yes it is normal in Jackson, they do have a higher toe box. It's the reason they are the only skate I can wear actually... As long as your feet aren't moving around or slipping it's not a problem, just somethign to get used to.