2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 159 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just saw Bradie's SP on YouTube. Her Lutz had so much distance that she almost hit the wall on her triple toe. She had a ton of energy and I'm just so happy for her.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm so so so proud of Bradie! She just keeps at it and delivers!

For all this debate about figure skating being a teenager's sport I actually think Bradie will be in it for the long haul if she stays healthy.

She's in an era of youngsters with quads but she still manages to hang in there!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Apparently, my English is not so good as to talk about too complicated and sophisticated things. My apologies if you are confused :)

You got your point across just fine, Orlov, and, may I say your English is wonderful...

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Apparently, my English is not so good as to talk about too complicated and sophisticated things. My apologies if you are confused :)

No no no it is fine

Your English is great. I just got confused about the book you were talking about and what it had to do with Alysa's jumps.

Lol sorry

Dont worry about it. There is no problem with your English.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Have you read the "The Prince" of Machivelli? There, among other things, is one interesting and as it seems to me correct, true, thought (I paraphrase adjusting to this situation) - creating a system you have to proceed from the fact that people are bad. Sorry:) It means reflecting on the possible problems of inconsistent refereeing it's necessary to assume exactly the bad thing in people - that, temporarily loyal refereeing will corrupt the athlete. Instead of starry-eyed talk about "inspiration" etc. Sorry, it's cynical, but closer to reality)) You know what? Listen to a smart, successful woman who, unlike you and me, understands these things :)

Ahem...I have read it. Many times. I even understand that book. Fascinating as it is (taking Cesare Borgia as a role model for example as to how one should act - that was before his father died - and he was successful) I don't see the link with a young girl skating her heart out who has not been 'corrupted' by judging at all - whatever we think about her URs not being called earlier but they were today. I don't think 14-year-olds are that cynical yet. Nor should their coaches instigate that kind of thinking. Temporarily loyal refereeing will corrupt an athlete? To me, even thinking about young girls being corrupted like this, is an anomaly. Please, leave the conspiracy theories about judging to older people, and let this young phenom just skate her best. And remain a young girl for a little longer.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm sure Alysa was disappointed by her score, but this experience will only make her stronger and help her develop into a more precise and sharp skater. Winning silver at the JGPF in her first international junior season is no small piece of cake, either. Recharge, reload, and onward to Nationals (and beyonnnnnd!!).

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa did great but it must be so frustrating to execute clean run throughs consistently only to fall short when it matters most. I’m joyous for her because as we’ve all said on this thread, individuals such as Alysa are made more robust by setbacks because it will push them to become better, faster, and sturdier. Moreover, the main conclusion I arrived at after the Final was this: Alysa controls her own destiny and fate. Alysa does not need to rely on others to make mistakes to be first, second, or third. Alysa herself dictates what medal she will get and I think that’s one of the most reassuring attributes a skater can have; Alysa’s fate is not dictated by others’ skates, but rather her own. Furthermore, Alysa’s personality and grit are great assets that will serve her well. Best of luck to her on her journey to become the very best Alysa Liu that she can be.

Orlov

Medalist
Ahem...I have read it. Many times. I even understand that book. Fascinating as it is (taking Cesare Borgia as a role model for example as to how one should act - that was before his father died - and he was successful) I don't see the link with a young girl skating her heart out who has not been 'corrupted' by judging at all - whatever we think about her URs not being called earlier but they were today. I don't think 14-year-olds are that cynical yet. Nor should their coaches instigate that kind of thinking. Temporarily loyal refereeing will corrupt an athlete? To me, even thinking about young girls being corrupted like this, is an anomaly. Please, leave the conspiracy theories about judging to older people, and let this young phenom just skate her best. And remain a young girl for a little longer.

Link was "creating a system you have to proceed from the fact that people are bad" In the original: when the Prince creates his new state - develops new laws, establishes institutions - he must, as the engineers say "lay a margin of safety in the construction". Its laws and institutions should work even if we assume that all people in the state are bad.

I didn't say Alysa was cynical. I said we should be cynical (in the way I described above) when we talk about things like that. In this logic we must assume that inconsistent, temporarily loyal refereeing, will corrupt athletes. And that's why (among other things) we have to avoid inconsistent refereeing. That was my thought.

As for me, this is a natural and obvious thought - the path of elite athletes is so difficult that if there is a loophole, the temptation to use it will be too great. Maybe even unconsciously, when this underlying desire is lost in the daily fuss and labors.

My reasoning is not directed specifically against Alysa. I've been thinking about these things for a long time. It's just that what happened yesterday was a visual, cinematic level, an example of these thoughts of mine. In fact, didactic story happened (And poor Alysa had to serve as the material of this didactic story). And that's why it got me so hooked.

natsulian

Final Flight
Also, there’s this VERY talented young girl (her Instagram is private) on Raf’s team and she just got all her triples. Once she hits juniors, it’s over for everybody. I hyperbolize but I’m quite excited to see where she’ll go. Reminds me of when I first saw Alysa when she was 10-11 in terms of excitement, nothing else.

Orlov

Medalist
Also, there’s this VERY talented young girl (her Instagram is private) on Raf’s team and she just got all her triples. Once she hits juniors, it’s over for everybody. I hyperbolize but I’m quite excited to see where she’ll go. Reminds me of when I first saw Alysa when she was 10-11 in terms of excitement, nothing else.

What you mean "it’s over for everybody"? Is she better then Alysa?

natsulian

Final Flight
What you mean "it’s over for everybody"? Is she better then Alysa?
I was simply jesting, hahaha. I’ll post a few clips of her on Twitter. I’m simply saying that she’s very talented for her age and I’m not comparing her to anyone. Moreso than her jumps, her musicality, skating skills, and edges are what caught my attention. Not trying to hype her or whatever, simply saying that I enjoy watching her skate.

Link: https://twitter.com/Natsu_Lian_/status/1203194991704780800?s=20

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
What I love about Alyssa is the pure joy she exudes on ice, no matter she skates clean or has falls. It also seems that competition does not intimidate her at all.
That being said, some of jumps still look very small and her ice coverage is not as good as other top junior ladies. Since she constantly shows improvement (e.g., speed) in non-jump elements, she probably will have better ice coverage in the future.

I am also very happy for Bradie. She definitely improved a lot in performance this year, starting to show her own "it" factor. Her sp this season is my favorite among senior ladies. So I would still think Bradie has a chance to win a second national title.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How did Bradie skate today? I had her getting 6th and she ended up fifth which I think is great.

natsulian

Final Flight
Bradie did well and put together two clean programs. I don’t understand why she did not surpass the 140 or even 143 mark with the Free Skate she produced. If Bradie can clean up the 3Lz+3T in the Short, she’ll be scoring in the 75-76 range and once she receives higher GOE’s, she will score 140-150 in the Free. I’m thinking anywhere between 215-220 is her target for Worlds.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Landed everything! (w/a few URs)

Bradie received three under- rotations throughout the entirety of the competition (between both sp and fs) but landed every jump smoothly. Great effort. Fifth place in this field isn’t bad. Good momentum for her heading into nats :luv17: . Hope she can get the little extra spring for those few landings to get no calls at worlds but what a fine effort here!!