2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 224 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
if you guys are bored and need some exercise at home, Ashley Wagner has been teaching choreography to some of her programs on instagram! she did sweet dreams the other day and moulin rouge today :)

edit: adding to this as i'm watching her teach moulin rouge, and she would be a fabulous choreographer. she really understands the mood and story of the music and characters and how to explain every little detail in a way that makes you want to be that character, and how every little movement should have a purpose.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some of the experts were saying that in 8 weeks the virus “should” peak followed by months of it decreasing. However, if we do flatten the curve as so many are saying, it’ll take months for it to dissipate but is most sound due to our current supply of ventilators, nurses, doctors, beds, etc. Currently, the US is heading in the same direction as Italy. Italy is at around 53,000 cases and over 4,000 deaths with about two weeks of ramped up testing, isolating, etc. We have yet to see the true effects of a nation-wide shutdown as today’s number of cases and deaths were new records. I’m hopeful that given a few more weeks, the cases and deaths will drop significantly. With the way things are trending in the US, I wouldn’t be surprised if the exponential increase is steeper than that of Italy’s judging by the way our nation is gearing for a reactive rather than proactive response to the pandemic. Alas, I do hope that the most optimistic of estimates become reality. This pandemic is putting life in limbo and I feel for the athletes whose hard work may not pay off in dividends. Whatever the case may be, stay safe and let us hope for the best.
Agreed. But the skaters need to keep things in perspective - many lives are being destroyed, people losing their jobs and companies. a

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Does anyone remember 2014 Rostelecom Cup, where mirai Nagasu was sitting in the kiss-and-cry after her lp, and her scores came up and she was like, “Whaaaaaat?” Tom Z immediately put up his hand as if to say , “Don’t! Just smile and nod, smile and nod.”
Unwritten rule that you cannot show disapproval at your scores.

macy

Record Breaker
Does anyone remember 2014 Rostelecom Cup, where mirai Nagasu was sitting in the kiss-and-cry after her lp, and her scores came up and she was like, “Whaaaaaat?” Tom Z immediately put up his hand as if to say , “Don’t! Just smile and nod, smile and nod.”

yep, this was why Ashley Wagner was ridiculed so much and why Kostornaia couldn't show too much disappointment after the SP at IDF last fall. really unfortunate that's the way it is.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Americares fundraiser for COVID-19 relief will feature Amber Glenn, Gracie Gold, Bradie Tennell, and many other U.S. and international skaters (current and retired, from all disciplines).
Also Sasha Cohen, Nancy Kerrigan, Tara Lipinski, etc., etc.

Gracie and Jason Brown will host the one-hour “Blades for the Brave” livestream at 8 p.m. EDT/5 p.m. PT on Friday, April 17.

... Fans will have the opportunity to hear how their favorite skaters are coping while quarantined and watch entertaining videos of them on and off the ice. The skaters will encourage viewers to donate to Americares, a health-focused relief organization providing critically needed protective gear and training for health workers in COVID-19 hot spots in the United States and around the world." ...

https://www.americares.org/news/202...ite-for-covid-19-relief-blades-for-the-brave/ (Apr 6)​

A Tara Modlin project.

Hat tip to Sylvia.

yep, this was why Ashley Wagner was ridiculed so much and why Kostornaia couldn't show too much disappointment after the SP at IDF last fall. really unfortunate that's the way it is.

Michelle Kwan reacting to her technical marks (5.6 from the US judge) in the short program at the 2002 Olympics. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tfa1vO0jw&t=6m25s

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I'm totally fine with skaters expressing displeasure at their scores. The real question is whether the displeasure is warranted or not. In Ashley's case, at least, I think it was.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What exactly did Alysa Liu tweet that’s got some people harassing her? I can’t find anything. What’s going on?

And how does Karen Chen have ice on the floor in her home??

I obviously have too much time on my hands, but why is it that Starr Andrews always has custom made costumes by Lisa McKinnon (super expensive) but I hear so much chatter that she can’t afford a better choreographer and coach? I’m confused. I’d actually rather have her go to a top tier coach instead of buying expensive costumes, but I’m not in control of her budget.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa said she’s going to tweet more and that she’s bored... I don’t know anything about harassment. If we’re talking about people being stupid and saying things they shouldn’t about minors, that applies to not just Alysa Liu but several other skaters on a daily basis. A sad existence.

bytheriver

On the Ice
What exactly did Alysa Liu tweet that’s got some people harassing her? I can’t find anything. What’s going on?

I obviously have too much time on my hands, but why is it that Starr Andrews always has custom made costumes by Lisa McKinnon (super expensive) but I hear so much chatter that she can’t afford a better choreographer and coach? I’m confused. I’d actually rather have her go to a top tier coach instead of buying expensive costumes, but I’m not in control of her budget.

Re: Alysa, I didn’t see anything about that anywhere. Not sure what you’re referring to.

Re: Karen, she has synthetic ice sheets laid down on top of hardwood. Bad for the blades but fun when you’re stuck inside. It’s just thick plastic. I wish it wasn’t lined up right next to a flight of stairs going down, but alas.

Re: Starr, her family does pay for those costumes, but I think they are less of an investment than coaching in that each dress is maybe $2,000 and $4,000 additional dollars a year wouldn’t do very much in terms of getting her an elite coach. You’re talking $150-200/hour coaches, and that would eat through that budget in less than a month. I think Starr’s family is aware of the limitations, but seeing her happy and in a beautiful dress on television might mean more to them than switching to a fancy coach, taking out a ton of loans, and not having any guaranteed outcome. At least with the dresses she knows she’s going to look amazing. :)

brightphoton

Medalist
Americares fundraiser for COVID-19 relief will feature Amber Glenn, Gracie Gold, Bradie Tennell, and many other U.S. and international skaters (current and retired, from all disciplines).
Also Sasha Cohen, Nancy Kerrigan, Tara Lipinski, etc., etc.

Gracie and Jason Brown will host the one-hour “Blades for the Brave” livestream at 8 p.m. EDT/5 p.m. PT on Friday, April 17.

... Fans will have the opportunity to hear how their favorite skaters are coping while quarantined and watch entertaining videos of them on and off the ice. The skaters will encourage viewers to donate to Americares, a health-focused relief organization providing critically needed protective gear and training for health workers in COVID-19 hot spots in the United States and around the world." ...

https://www.americares.org/news/202...ite-for-covid-19-relief-blades-for-the-brave/ (Apr 6)​

A Tara Modlin project.

Hat tip to Sylvia.

I knew that name sounded familiar. A curious husband-wife team.

Husband is Craig Maurizi, who sued USFS because he was abused by his coach Richard Callaghan while he was an underage skater.
Wife is Tara Modlin, and was John Coughlin's agent.

It must be a weird household.

elliana

On the Ice

Regarding Starr, she improved a lot over the season because she had all of those assignments. I don't know that she has outgrown Coach Delmore. Also, you could say that Bradie's coach and Alysa's coach are only getting recognized now since their athletes started winning. Don't all coaches have to start somewhere? It's just sad to see some coaches automatically dismissed as not worthy.

macy

Record Breaker
Regarding Starr, she improved a lot over the season because she had all of those assignments. I don't know that she has outgrown Coach Delmore. Also, you could say that Bradie's coach and Alysa's coach are only getting recognized now since their athletes started winning. Don't all coaches have to start somewhere? It's just sad to see some coaches automatically dismissed as not worthy.

i don't think anyone is necessarily dismissing Starr's coaches, but she is doing the same technical content as she was 4 years ago as a junior level skater. She has improved her artistry and interpretation, but there are still a lot of juniorish qualities about her skating (at least to me). The difference with the examples you gave of Bradie and Alysa is they improve considerably season to season. Stagnating is a sign she has outgrown her coaches and needs to move to someone who can take her to the next level, if that is her goal of course.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nice photo of Gracie and Jason rehearsing for the upcoming fundraiser:

Mariah Bell is planning to have two new programs for next season, per Lynn Rutherford's new article.

The article also covers Mariah's silver lining of extended time with her family and her thoughts on cancellation of Worlds and being off ice for so long.

Excerpt from the end of the article:

... Mariah is strategizing for the 2020-21 season. She’s sticking with the same choreographers: Adam Rippon for her short program, and Shae-Lynn Bourne for the free skate.

“We have in mind what I am going to use for my short, but we don’t have anything for the long yet,” she said. “With Adam, we figure it out further in advance. With Shae-Lynn, it’s (closer) to the time frame of doing the work, maybe a few days before. ...

Great though it was, Bell is not tempted to use “Hallelujah” a ... second season.

“The last time I performed that program at nationals is a great memory to have,” she said. “I could never foresee me doing any better than that.”

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/mariah-bell-family-rv-coronavirus/ (Apr 15)​

macy

Record Breaker
Nice photo of Gracie and Jason rehearsing for the upcoming fundraiser:

Mariah Bell is planning to have two new programs for next season, per Lynn Rutherford's new article.

The article also covers Mariah's silver lining of extended time with her family and her thoughts on cancellation of Worlds and being off ice for so long.
It is accompanied by Mariah's video tour of the family home/RV, where the Bells (including Gizmo) are sheltering in place.

Excerpt from the end of the article:

... Mariah is strategizing for the 2020-21 season. She’s sticking with the same choreographers: Adam Rippon for her short program, and Shae-Lynn Bourne for the free skate.

“We have in mind what I am going to use for my short, but we don’t have anything for the long yet,” she said. “With Adam, we figure it out further in advance. With Shae-Lynn, it’s (closer) to the time frame of doing the work, maybe a few days before. ...

Great though it was, Bell is not tempted to use “Hallelujah” a ... second season.

“The last time I performed that program at nationals is a great memory to have,” she said. “I could never foresee me doing any better than that.”

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/04/15/mariah-bell-family-rv-coronavirus/ (Apr 15)​

wow, what an awesome idea to have an RV instead of a house, and it sounded like a more practical thing for them than owning a house. and its BEAUTIFUL. they are all very fortunate to be together in gorgeous weather right now!