2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
The top Novice and Junior ladies will be competing at Salt Lake City.

Notable competitors include Isabeau Levito, Calista Choi, Elsa Cheng, Audrey Meredith, Jessica Lin, Mia Kalin, and Jessica Lin.

The events will be live-streamed here --> https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=752&type=Live

List of Junior competitors/order --> https://twitter.com/YukiNieve/status/1174482164924211205?s=20

List of Novice competitors/order --> https://twitter.com/YukiNieve/status/1174482160230834176?s=20

At the Senior level, Ting Cui and Amber Glenn will be competing. Hanna Harrell withdrew weeks ago due to injury.

Best of luck to our ladies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wow, all this good news means that Nationals 2022 will be a real slugfest....especially if we don't have three entries for Beijing.

I'm glad our women have one more year to get it together and try to earn three Olympic spots at 2021 Worlds. In particular, Gracie and Karen could use another season of good health and strong performances to regain the form that took each to 4th in the World.

lusterfan

Final Flight
You're right that she couldn't just add a 3T to the loop, but what she could do is instead of doing the double axel, do a 3F+3T ( I say 3F because in another version of the sp she has a 3F planned where the 2A is so it would be an easy adjustment). This way, her 3A would become an invalidated axel element, but she could still get credit for a combo and her solo jump, and she'd only be losing the value of a double axel, which isn't too much in comparison.

That's actually a good plan for point loss minimization. I hope she has planned something like this!

truthbooth

On the Ice
She cannot. The loop is the required non-combo triple in the junior sp.

Out of curiosity, why does the required solo jump rule still exist? I assume it was to initially encourage junior skaters to train a variety of triples, but with the top junior ladies landing 3As and quads today, it seems a bit...archaic.

Best of luck to Alysa in Poland and on the combo in the short!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, why does the required solo jump rule still exist? I assume it was to initially encourage junior skaters to train a variety of triples, but with the top junior ladies landing 3As and quads today, it seems a bit...archaic.

Because while there maybe be 2-3 junior ladies landing 3As and quads in competitions during a season today, there are often 29-30 junior ladies per event that are not? And because even when you have the super tough jumps, you sometimes have a weakness elsewhere that it would be good to develop before launching onto the senior scene and learning that it really matters?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Because while there maybe be 2-3 junior ladies landing 3As and quads in competitions during a season today, there are often 29-30 junior ladies per event that are not? And because even when you have the super tough jumps, you sometimes have a weakness elsewhere that it would be good to develop before launching onto the senior scene and learning that it really matters?

While this is true, I think there is still already enough of an insentive to learn, say, a triple loop. If you don't have one (or a lutz or a flip), then you'll have a major disadvantage in the free program. Plus, having everyone near the top do the exact same layout in the sp gets rather boring. Before, when juniors weren't watched as much this wasn't a problem, but now juniors are getting more of a following.

truthbooth

On the Ice

Even for the less advanced skaters, it makes more sense to me to let them try a 2F/2Lz/3S/3T (whatever they're comfortable with) rather than forcing them to try a loop jump and having much of the field end up with a 3Lo< or 3Lo<< as we have seen this season. In that way, they could also focus on developing in other areas, as you mention.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It wouldn't make sense for juniors to be allowed to do more difficulty in the SP than the seniors, and those jumps aren't that common at the very top (yet). Elizabet is the only World or Olympic medalist in the last four years to land either a 3A or quad.

truthbooth

On the Ice
It wouldn't make sense for juniors to be allowed to do more difficulty in the SP than the seniors, and those jumps aren't that common at the very top (yet). Elizabet is the only World or Olympic medalist in the last four years to land either a 3A or quad.

I am still alright with disallowing quads in the SP. I could even be okay with disallowing 3As in the SP, despite what we will (hopefully!) see tomorrow. I'm just proposing unrestricted triples/doubles.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Yes.

That's the only mandatory final GOE now.

Correct.

In a senior (or novice) SP they might be able to add a combination to the solo jump if it's scheduled later in the program, and take only the -3 to -4 reduction for the step out, but in juniors that doesn't work because of the required solo jump.

Even at other levels adding an unscheduled combo to a later solo jump is risky and the skater could end up with serious errors on both of the jump passes instead of just one.

Yup. Those are the short program rules.

In a freeskate it would be just fine, could conceivably earn non-negative GOE, and would avoid the +REP penalty for a repeated triple.

Thanks so much for explaining. This is what I figured from protocols just never had confirmation.

katymay

Medalist

Notable competitors include Isabeau Levito, Calista Choi, Elsa Cheng, Audrey Meredith, Jessica Lin, Mia Kalin, and Jessica Lin.

The events will be live-streamed here --> https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=752&type=Live

List of Junior competitors/order --> https://twitter.com/YukiNieve/status/1174482164924211205?s=20

List of Novice competitors/order --> https://twitter.com/YukiNieve/status/1174482160230834176?s=20

At the Senior level, Ting Cui and Amber Glenn will be competing. Hanna Harrell withdrew weeks ago due to injury.

Thank you ! Never would have known about the juniors/novice competing. Tuned in just in time to see Isabeau, what a fun girl to watch. Super Sonic rotation speed, personality on the ice, one to watch in the future!

natsulian

Final Flight
I know next season is far away, but imagining Alysa, Isabeau, Isabelle, Jessica, Calista, Kate, Lindsay, Elsa, and many others competing with more experience, training, and oomph is going to be amazing. Next season, many of the Junior ladies this season will be skating as seniors domestically... insanity.

This season has already shown that there is so much talent and depth in the lower ranks. The US simply has to find a system that continues to hone and develop such talent. Some of the coaches like Isabeau’s and Bradie’s are developing very well rounded skaters and they need to be utilized more. It seems Bradie’s coach is bent on developing her own little team with Calista and Isabelle. Best of luck to all our ladies.

katymay

Medalist
I know next season is far away, but imagining Alysa, Isabeau, Isabelle, Jessica, Calista, Kate, Lindsay, Elsa, and many others competing with more experience, training, and oomph is going to be amazing. Next season, many of the Junior ladies this season will be skating as seniors domestically... insanity.

This season has already shown that there is so much talent and depth in the lower ranks. The US simply has to find a system that continues to hone and develop such talent. Some of the coaches like Isabeau’s and Bradie’s are developing very well rounded skaters and they need to be utilized more. It seems Bradie’s coach is bent on developing her own trio with Calista, Elsa, and Isabelle. Best of luck to all our ladies.

Now that I've watched the entire group of Novice ladies, I agree. All of them looked promising, even those that had babbles or botched a jump. Loved the cantilever, I'm seeming more and more of those. Also loved the girl named Lindsey who lit up every time she landed a jump. So much personality in this group of Novice ladies. I hope the USFSA Fan Zone or whatever, continues to provide coverage of Novice an Juniors-they are really more fun to watch than the Seniors. (At least for me)

MarinHondas

Final Flight

How do the novice/junior challenge skates work? Are skaters chosen by USFSA to compete or do they just sign up?

macy

Record Breaker
Isabeau is so amazing. Personality and charisma beyond her years, jumps to boot. The performance quality is just... so amazing

You can watch Isabeau here, if you click on demand, pick the novice ladies SP, then go to the time 48:30 https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=760&type=Archive

she has so much potential and talent! i'd like to see some more speed throughout her combo, but her personality and charm is so wonderful. i imagine she will do really well on the JGP next year.

Elana

On the Ice
How do the novice/junior challenge skates work? Are skaters chosen by USFSA to compete or do they just sign up?

I can't say for sure this year but when I looked into it 2 years ago maybe, the skaters just sign up. But it's not open to everyone, it is like skaters who were at nationals/ISP get to sign up first, then they'll open it to sectional skaters, and so on... so basically it is supposed to be a competition for highly competitive skaters. It seemed that there wasn't this many skaters in the past, I feel like they used to cap it at 12? Could be wrong on that though. Makes more sense to let more skaters in though, good competitve experience with other high quality skaters.