2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 158 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Maybe she has worked on it and her errors here was due to nerves?

I think Alysa went for such a difficult program not because she thinks she can get away with URs but because she is very competitive and wants to achieve the same success as skaters she admires do, she's a lot like Sasha and very much is inspired by her too.

Her jumps looked really good in practice. I suspect she tightened up due to nerves after the fall on the first 3A.

I don’t think the coaching team made a mistake at all by including all the difficult elements. She is playing the long game and wants to get the experience to compete these elements in the future, not to win her first JGPF.

macy

Record Breaker
Her jumps looked really good in practice. I suspect she tightened up due to nerves after the fall on the first 3A.

I don’t think the coaching team made a mistake at all by including all the difficult elements. She is playing the long game and wants to get the experience to compete these elements in the future, not to win her first JGPF.

Kamila and Alysa will meet again at jr worlds, and she knows she can win if she lands everything. i'm glad she put them out in competition and knows what she needs to work on in the next 3 months.

frida80

Record Breaker
My deepest belief in sports and in life is that setbacks and losses are good for long term success. Alysa will grow from this competition and become even better the next time.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Have you read the "The Prince" of Machivelli? There, among other things, is one interesting and as it seems to me correct, true, thought (I paraphrase adjusting to this situation) - creating a system you have to proceed from the fact that people are bad. Sorry:) It means reflecting on the possible problems of inconsistent refereeing it's necessary to assume exactly the bad thing in people - that, temporarily loyal refereeing will corrupt the athlete. Instead of starry-eyed talk about "inspiration" etc. Sorry, it's cynical, but closer to reality)) You know what? Listen to a smart, successful woman who, unlike you and me, understands these things :)

I have no idea what you are going on about but like someone else pointed out, Alysa has had good practices with better jump landings and has noticeably improved her speed.

What has inspired her is what she has said in interviews and is obvious from her ambitions on the ice.

Perhaps you should try not to be so cynical about the motives of a 14 year old girl who wants to be the first American lady to really be able to complete with the Russian skaters she clearly looks up to. Anyone can see it too

Orlov

Medalist
I have no idea what you are going on about but like someone else pointed out, Alysa has had good practices with better jump landings and has noticeably improved her speed.

What has inspired her is what she has said in interviews and is obvious from her ambitions on the ice.

Perhaps you should try not to be so cynical about the motives of a 14 year old girl who wants to be the first American lady to really be able to complete with the Russian skaters she clearly looks up to. Anyone can see it too

Apparently, my English is not so good as to talk about too complicated and sophisticated things. My apologies if you are confused :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
My deepest belief in sports and in life is that setbacks and losses are good for long term success. Alysa will grow from this competition and become even better the next time.

I really admire Alysa'a character, hard work and fighting spirit. A tough little girl, she might be small, but she has a big personality and character inside of her.
She'll keep improving and growing, I'm sure of that. It was an amazing competition!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was the first time Alysa had that jump layout in international competition. Yes, she had a few URs, but still scored high enough to finish 2nd. More speed will help her get those jumps around.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Very proud of Alysa, really proud, her figure skating has really improved from jump to interpretation, and all toward the correct directions(at least IMHO). She is the winner in my heart tonight (questionable judging JMHO).
This lose is just a small obstacle and test in her figure skating career, her goal and ambition is in the long run (eventually, she will face 5 quads Sasha) like others mentioned above. So it is great to put out 2 4lz and 2 3A now and lose on UR calls and GOE/PCS etc. which will only make her work hard to improve on all those areas. Also, I think Alysa has talent in those areas, from the practice video of this event, many have noted visible improvement.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This was the first time Alysa had that jump layout in international competition. Yes, she had a few URs, but still scored high enough to finish 2nd. More speed will help her get those jumps around.

I agree. It's also good for her to know that she can't get away with UR's with an international panel. Better she learns this now than at Worlds. She seems like a lock to win her second national title so, it's Junior Worlds where she needs to focus when it comes to her jumps.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't you see that your statement coincides with the general meaning of my point of view? Instead of a reliable strategy, she chose a strategy that works if her URs are not called. If here she was given at least one clean 4Lz - she would have won.

Inconsistent refereeing hurts athletes, I insist on it! And I blame ISU

I don't see it that way. She used a strategy that allowed an error on the 3A or an error on one 4Lz but not errors on all three difficult jumps. Not all of her 4lz's have been under-rotated. In practice they looked good. In earlier events, they were at least borderline. She had leeway to make mistakes and still win. She just made one mistake too many.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree. It's also good for to know that can't get away with UR's with an international panel. Better she learns this now than at Worlds. She seems like a lock to win her second national title so, it's Junior Worlds where she needs to focus when it comes to her jumps.

I think she will win Nationals again also. She could possibly enter her first major international competition (2022 Olympics) as a four-time US champion.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I agree. It's also good for her to know that she can't get away with UR's with an international panel. Better she learns this now than at Worlds. She seems like a lock to win her second national title so, it's Junior Worlds where she needs to focus when it comes to her jumps.

Alysa has internationally rectified Quad lutz, it happened in her 2 junior GPs, those are international judging panel. And she is also the internationally recognized first lady skater to cleanly land both quad lutz and 3A in one program.
Her quad lutz may have some weak landing issue she will improve in the future, but not necessarily always under-rotated. Her +GOE quad lutz are all very good quality in the ladies field.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alysa has internationally rectified Quad lutz, it happened in her 2 junior GPs, those are international judging panel. And she is also the internationally recognized first lady skater to cleanly land both quad lutz and 3A in one program.
Her quad lutz may have some weak landing issue she will improve in the future, but not necessarily always under-rotated. Her +GOE quad lutz are all very good quality in the ladies field.

It's almost funny to think how far Junior Ladies have progressed in just a few short years. We never saw 3A's or quads just a few seasons ago.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It's almost funny to think how far Junior Ladies have progressed in just a few short years. We never saw 3A's or quads just a few seasons ago.

the truth is that in girls, there is a specific period of time during their growth, it is much easier for them to learn jumps (actually easier to learn quads than boys). Eteri noticed that, actually not just Eteri, many other coaches are also aware of that, but before, nobody really utilized that window to push for more rotations in the air for girls. And Eteri possibly is the first to explore that opportunities. Her girls know it is possible thus started to train more rotation much earlier than their peers.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope Alysa will have a redemption skate at Nationals. She has to know that if she skates clean the title is hers. I hope she can shake this off and focus on the future.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
She's uploaded a lovely photo of herself and the other medalists on Instagram already.

Gorgeous, gracious girl, full of maturity. I'm very proud of her. I do think she's disappointed but she's handling it beautifully.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nice to see Bradie in 4th following the SP. If she can hold onto to that position it will a huge confidence booster. Clearly no one is catching the leader with a score of 85 plus. :bow: