On the Ice

Ykai

On the Ice
Calista Choi practice video (45 seconds) from JGP Courchevel:

Good luck to Calista and Hanna. :yay:

IJS results from Skate San Francisco:

(And thanks for your PM, Ykai.)

Alysa Liu junior ladies combined exhibition score: 215.17

You are faster than the official website, amazing!

Wait, there is a category called "ladies combined exhibition"? An exhibition gets scored? That's interesting.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Wait, there is a category called "ladies combined exhibition"? An exhibition gets scored? That's interesting.

I think the point of this was that Liu wanted to skate her junior programs for judges and tech panel and get a score before going out to junior internationals.

She couldn't just enter the junior ladies' event at a US nonqualifying competition because she is ineligible for a domestic junior event by virtue of having passed her senior test. (Not to mention winning senior Nationals.)

Often at nonqual/club competitions, single-entry events are referred to as "exhibitions" because the skater isn't competing against anybody. Under 6.0, scores are meaningless in a single-entry event. With IJS, the technical calls and judges' GOEs and PCS give useful information. It's pretty common for boys, or for higher-level girls at small competitions, to skate their programs to earn IJS scores at competitions it's convenient for them to skate at even though they're not really competing for placements.

"Combined" in this context means short program + long program, as opposed to just one or the other. Nonqualifying competitions often offer the opportunity to enter short program only or freeskate only. This year the National Qualifying Series requires skaters trying to earn rankings and potential byes to Sectionals to enter combined events, but some skaters, for various reasons, may choose to enter single-program events at competitions that offer them, if they only want to put out one program at that time.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Hanna has a real chance this weekend if she can rise to the occasion. I don’t think she can beat Kamila Valieva, but everyone else is fair game. The Japanese and Russian junior girls are not infallible the way it has been for the past couple of years. Hanna’s skating reminds me a lot of the Russian girls. I agree her trajectory is very similar to Ting’s and I want a breakthrough for her so badly like I wanted it for Ting last year in juniors. A medal here is very doable. I am praying she can stay focused today.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I feel liked they need to remove that Rippon from Hanna's Lutz. It probably does not help keeping air position intact.

andromache

Record Breaker
Hanna's 3Lz is huge!!! Not surprising that she fell on it, given just how big it is. It's a shame since she landed a clean one in the warm-up.

She really needs to work on her spins and steps - she's losing a lot of GOE on those elements, so even if she had nailed the combo, she would probably would be in 3rd at best.

natsulian

Final Flight
Hanna was great and has improved her artistry, but needs consistency on her jumps. She usually falls once or twice each competition and she’s always in contention for a medal, but let’s those points slip away.

Calista... she has some of the best SKATING SKILLS out of the junior crop, not just the U.S. Sadly, she over-rotated her 3Lz and lost the timing to put the 3T. Calista needs to bring her A game going into the Free. Hanna could still medal, but she’ll need to get at least 130+ which is doable. Calista is looking at a Top 6/7 finish which is great for her debut.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Hanna has really great performance qualities. She seemed to be really engaged in her performance compared to a lot of her peers... I think she could still work on some of her movements and fluidity but the SP is a good one for her. It matches her energy and performance level in my opinion. Here's to hoping for a clean LP

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Hanna has really great performance qualities. She seemed to be really engaged in her performance compared to a lot of her peers... I think she could still work on some of her movements and fluidity but the SP is a good one for her. It matches her energy and performance level in my opinion. Here's to hoping for a clean LP
Yes, she was really into her performance. I love all the music accents. Soo good. Misha did a good job.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Yes, she was really into her performance. I love all the music accents. Soo good. Misha did a good job.

Agree. It fits her very well, but it's still very ambitious and gives her room to grow too! The step sequence was fire, she didn't quite nail it but I think it's good for her to work with something like that. Great job, Misha :)

katymay

Medalist

Her PCS scores were very good-not that far off Kamila. Very disappointed for her, because had she hit the lutz, she would have won the short. She reminds me of Caityln Osmond-nice strong jumps. (usually)

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Hanna was great and has improved her artistry, but needs consistency on her jumps. She usually falls once or twice each competition and she’s always in contention for a medal, but let’s those points slip away.

Calista... she has some of the best SKATING SKILLS out of the junior crop, not just the U.S. Sadly, she over-rotated her 3Lz and lost the timing to put the 3T. Calista needs to bring her A game going into the Free. Hanna could still medal, but she’ll need to get at least 130+ which is doable. Calista is looking at a Top 6/7 finish which is great for her debut.

Both girls were two of my favourites of the night! Calista is such a lovely skater. The only criticism I have of her skating is to put her shoulders down.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Both girls were two of my favourites of the night! Calista is such a lovely skater. The only criticism I have of her skating is to put her shoulders down.[/QUOTEVA
Calista choi does not have the best posture but her skating skills are good. But even tho she does make the top 6 or 7 the federation prbabyl shouln't give her another one becasue she clearly will not make the final