2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 188 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really don't get the outcry over Alysa's win and I have never taken national ranking seriously unless it decides who goes to the Olympics and Worlds. It is GPF, Worlds and Olympics that matters. It's the same reason I didn't care that much when Anna won Russian nationals. Mariah has a nice presence on ice but being emotionally moving by itself does not earn points. I am sure not everyone would related to the program either. The choreography is brilliant though (Shae-Lynn Bourne hardly disappoints). The gap can be smaller but Alysa's BV was way too high for Mariah to catch up. The Mariah vs. Alysa rivalry is really childish to me. Let's wait and see in two years when both compete on the senior international level.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Has anyone got any links? I missed the entire free because I was asleep (timezones ugh), but I reaaaally want to see Mariah's performance!

kwanza

Rinkside
Unfortunately, Ladies Figure Skating has gone into a downward spiral with all the astronomical technical requirements in order to be at the top. This quote by Dick Button at the 2006 Torino Olympics regarding Shizuka Arakawa's Gold Medal Performance was iconic in how this sport should always be:

"What easy elegance there was to that...
Strength underneath it...
Magnificent quality...
That's a lady skating..."

It is interesting how when Surya Bonaly was a jumping icon of her day, it was the lack of artistry that "held her back" from being on top of the world stage. Hmmmmm...

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Ok so I just watched Mariah's free skate and the minute she landed that last triple lutz I actually started sobbing. I am so happy for her!!

lusterfan

Final Flight
Mariah's performance was stunning, but I think people also forget this is still a sport with technical scores. Maybe the scoring system should be modified to better reflect the performance and artistic aspect, but those are very subjective and easily biased too. The fact is, Alysa came in with a nearly insurmountable lead in BV (arguably, the more athletic elements of the sport) and although Mariah deservedly led in the components, it just wasn't enough. PCS isn't given enough weight to overcome the triple axels, quads, and triple-triples. From a sports perspective, I don't see how anyone would argue Alysa didn't deserve her victory. Perhaps the scoring was suspect, but she put in way more from a technical standpoint, in the ways that are quantified and scored in this sport.

Performances and emotions are what capture hearts, but they do not necessarily capture medals and titles in a sport. That's what happens in a sport that blends in an artistic and performance aspect - it's harder to quantify and difficult to balance, for fear of erring too much onto the so-called artistry when the root of a sport lies in the athleticism. We often remember the most riveting and emotional moments from the Olympics, and not always the Gold medallists. Common viewers obviously only see the emotional side - the face, the music, the subjective emotions. While they can appreciate the quads and more difficult elements, they do not know how it is quantified in terms of scores. Not to say Mariah's performance requires any less athleticism, but in the realm of what's defined in the rulebooks, she is less technically athletic. And honestly in reality, emotions-removed, her jumps really aren't among the best.

Alysa's performance was lovely, but does not hold a candle to how emotionally riveting Mariah's performance was. However, it's a judged sport with scores - unfortunately, you have to look at the math and not base it off your heart, people! We can give our personal medals to Mariah, while Alysa clinches the rule-defined medal. :agree:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Based on the improvements Bradie has made, I don't think she would necessarily score less than other Japanese ladies (except Rika) even if they are in form. Bradie has very fast and centered spins, better than Wakaba and Kaori, the same level as Satoko; Bradie's jumps are crisp with good air position and nice transition. You could argue the other three have better ss, but Bradie is not far behind. Right now I don't see Satoko's jumps getting better in the next few years, and I cannot remember when Kaori skated two clean programs at an international competition. I can only see Bradie's pcs go up if she keeps her consistency and steady improvement.
Bradie has improved, but is still stiff as a board with no emotion. And you are correct that the Japanese have better ss. Kaori has struggled with her weight this year as has Wakaba previously, so Bradie did have a better season. But they are faster, more athletic and bigger jumpers, along with their superior ss.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
If Alysa had gotten all 6’s and 7’s like any other junior at the junior level does then she would have been under 60 for PCS and Mariah would have won, that is what I think should have happened. Her winning this early doesn’t really benefit anyone. US Figure Skating lost a huge marketing moment with Mariah Bell’s incredible performance.

I get Alysa had a higher base value but a PCS of 68 is too high for her. She skates like a 14 year old of course and it wasn’t interesting after watching so many emotional and skillful performances from the older ladies. Even her jumps don’t impress me, they aren’t high, they’re squirrley and it makes me wonder if she grows a few inches will she still be able to eek them around?

I’m just going to personally call Mariah bell the 2020 national champion, cause that is what it felt like. I haven’t been moved by a skating performance like that in years, I cried when it ended.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Mariah's performance was stunning, but I think people also forget this is still a sport with technical scores. Maybe the scoring system should be modified to better reflect the performance and artistic aspect, but those are very subjective and easily biased too. The fact is, Alysa came in with a nearly insurmountable lead in BV (arguably, the more athletic elements of the sport) and although Mariah deservedly led in the components, it just wasn't enough. PCS isn't given enough weight to overcome the triple axels, quads, and triple-triples. From a sports perspective, I don't see how anyone would argue Alysa didn't deserve her victory. Perhaps the scoring was suspect, but she put in way more from a technical standpoint, in the ways that are quantified and scored in this sport.

Performances and emotions are what capture hearts, but they do not necessarily capture medals and titles in a sport. That's what happens in a sport that blends in an artistic and performance aspect - it's harder to quantify and difficult to balance, for fear of erring too much onto the so-called artistry when the root of a sport lies in the athleticism. We often remember the most riveting and emotional moments from the Olympics, and not always the Gold medallists. Common viewers obviously only see the emotional side - the face, the music, the subjective emotions. While they can appreciate the quads and more difficult elements, they do not know how it is quantified in terms of scores. Not to say Mariah's performance requires any less athleticism, but in the realm of what's defined in the rulebooks, she is less technically athletic. And honestly in reality, emotions-removed, her jumps really aren't among the best.

Alysa's performance was lovely, but does not hold a candle to how emotionally riveting Mariah's performance was. However, it's a judged sport with scores - unfortunately, you have to look at the math and not base it off your heart, people! We can give our personal medals to Mariah, while Alysa clinches the rule-defined medal. :agree:

PCS if applied based on the guidlines laid down by the judging standards should have been enough for Mariah to win. Alysa simply does not do enough to earn those higher marks, her skating is very empty, and it’s very obvious she isn’t doing much outside of the elements. She also is still pretty slow. The reason people get so upset after results like this is PCS is misapplied and tends to rise as the technical score rises not just as skating skills and performance level improves.

lzxnl

Final Flight
If you give Mariah and Alysa their international PCS values, I think you'll see that not too much changes. Mariah would struggle to get 70 internationally, and Alysa isn't going to get below 55. She currently gets 60. So...

Gabby30

On the Ice
It reminds me of the year that Rachel Flatt won the US national championship, but the performance that captured everyone's hearts was Mirai's little Carmen free skate (which she would later get 4th at the Olympics with in Vancouver). At the time, a lot of casual fans, including my family, asked, "why didn't that little Asian girl win?" And their eyes glaze when you pull up a PDF of the judges detailed scores, ah you see Mirai had an underrotation here which reduced the value of her flip by 40% and ... zzzz

My family again asked why didn't that Bell girl win? Her performance was the one that everyone was impressed with, the one they fell in love with. And a casual fan doesn't care that a triple axel is worth 7 more points than a double and a quad lutz is worth more than a triple lutz, and Mariah might have had a ! which would further reduce her score, you can see on this pdf that ... zzzzz

But Alysa's "quad" wasn't even clean....

lzxnl

Final Flight
But Alysa's "quad" wasn't even clean....

The thing is, Alysa's 4Lz replaces a double jump. Even if UR, it's worth a good 6 points more than a 2T. Her two 3As were worth 10+ more points than two 2As. That's an easy +16 in tech score.