2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 135 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course Bradie is going to the Warsaw Cup. She has an excellent chance of winning and nabbing 300 World Ranking points.

Shani

On the Ice
I wish GPF was perceived as even more prestigious of a competition. I think in prior years, it wasn't too much of a challenge to make GPF but nowadays, you really have to be in the top echelons of the field just to make it in. I hope the general perception of GPF changes because it's insane how hard it is to qualify, given that it's arguably mostly merit-based.

I think finishing 5th or 6th in a GPF would establish you as part of the top! Finishing 5th or 6th at GPF for a Worlds podium threat would be disappointing, but Bradie and Mariah should be delighted if they were able to qualify.

(If Bradie/Mariah makes it) judges should realize that they had to out-qualify top-tier skaters like Evgenia, Elizaveta, Kaori, Satoko to be part of the "Top 6". In today's field, that's damn prestigious and should be a momentum builder going into Nationals, Continentals, and Worlds! Now let's see if an American lady can finally qualify back into GPF again:pray:

Regardess if they qualify or not, they did actually surpass those athletes this season in their events so the door is open.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
(If Bradie/Mariah makes it) judges should realize that they had to out-qualify top-tier skaters like Evgenia, Elizaveta, Kaori, Satoko to be part of the "Top 6". In today's field, that's damn prestigious and should be a momentum builder going into Nationals, Continentals, and Worlds! Now let's see if an American lady can finally qualify back into GPF again:pray:

It is all of those things. However, GP fields are unbalanced and often reward athletes who are ready early rather than having the highest potential results (athletes who hang onto old programs, for example, or do not upgrade while others are trying more difficult jumps that can take the length of the season to master). Therefore, there are many instances of athletes not qualifying for the GPF or JGPF that have gone on to have higher final results at major internationals. There are, of course, also many examples of GPF Champions going on to win those events as well.

In dance, I personally dislike the GPF in that it splits the six teams into two groups of 3. This often appears to result in movement between the two groups feeling less achievable than at other dance events. OTOH, qualifying for the Final is a huge goal and major accomplishment for participants, and I do think many athletes have broken into prominence within the past couple decades in this way.

Of course, medaling at the GPF is no guarantee of anything for the post season. Qualifying athletes may not make the World team or finish top 10 at Worlds. Being the best in December is not a super clear indicator that one will be so in March, as so many other factors play a role and in such a physically demanding sport, many athletes cannot be at the top of their game all season long for years on end. They pace themselves, and especially in the jumping disciplines, there are often top athletes who need to heal.

halulupu

Final Flight
I wonder if strategically it would be better for the US ladies NOT to go to the GPF. They could easily place last there even with two clean skates. I don’t know if that kind of thing has a subconscious effect on judging for the rest of the season. Probably not, but at the moment they have wins over big names and if they continue with strong performances at nationals and four continents I wonder if that would not place them in better stead in terms of momentum.
People here tend to forget that skaters need to earn money. The sport is very expensive. So if have a GP spot u better go there even if not in shape. GP pay quite well. I believe the money and some sponsor contractual requirements which again is connected to money were the only reason we saw not in shape gracie last year at GP Russia.

macy

Record Breaker
also not sure if it's been shared previously, but Bradie and Hanna Harrell are on the list for Golden Spin, Dec. 4-7. i'm assuming Bradie will compete here if she's out of the GPF, since it's the same week.

has anyone heard updates on Hanna? i'm thinking she's coming close to being recovered, if she is still signed up to compete. i'm assuming she's trying to be ready for nationals.

looks like the main competition here will come from Konstantinova, Samodurova, and Tuktamysheva.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
also not sure if it's been shared previously, but Bradie and Hanna Harrell are on the list for Golden Spin, Dec. 4-7. i'm assuming Bradie will compete here if she's out of the GPF, since it's the same week.

I hope Bradie doesn't burn herself out. That would be her fourth event during the GP calendar.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie didn't do any ISU competitions before the GP this year. Yes, she did Japan Open, an invitational event consisting of just a FS. JO is basically a cheesefest where the competitors earn big $$ and have a good time.

Last year, Bradie did the CS Autumn Classic (where she beat Medvedeva) before the GP and also did Golden Spin after.

This year, the Warsaw Cup is making up for her missing an early competition. I'm not worried about Bradie burning herself out. She is a very steady and determined competitor and knows what is best for her.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bradie didn't do any ISU competitions before the GP this year. Yes, she did Japan Open, an invitational event consisting of just a FS. JO is basically a cheesefest where the competitors earn big $$ and have a good time.

Last year, Bradie did the CS Autumn Classic (where she beat Medvedeva) before the GP and also did Golden Spin after.

This year, the Warsaw Cup is making up for her missing an early competition. I'm not worried about Bradie burning herself out. She is a very steady and determined competitor and knows what is best for her.

How much time does Bradie have between Warsaw and Golden Spin? I worry about jetlag and fatigue with all the travel. She has always been a consistent skater so I'm sure she'll skate cleanly it's the mental exhaustion that I worry about.

macy

Record Breaker
How much time does Bradie have between Warsaw and Golden Spin? I worry about jetlag and fatigue with all the travel. She has always been a consistent skater so I'm sure she'll skate cleanly it's the mental exhaustion that I worry about.

Warsaw cup is this weekend and Golden Spin is 3 weeks from then.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
For me also. Could not get on site for over an hour. "Too busy." Also clicking on a particular thread can take quite a while. Moderators what's going on?

macy

Record Breaker
Start orders are up for sectionals. Here is the senior ladies group where Gracie will compete on Friday evening-

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27740/CAT009SEG016.html

looks like her main competition will be from Sarah Jung, Emily Zhang, Jill Heiner and Audrey Shin, if i'm remembering past results correctly. i'm sure Gracie and her team know what they are facing here and she can't put out the same skates as regionals if she wants to advance. i think regionals may have been a bit of a wake up call for them. but i hope she will be happy with whatever she does and if things don't work out for nationals, she will come back stronger next season and use it as a motivating factor.

also, Courtney Hicks and Pooja Kalyan will be competing at midwesterns.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Rena Ikenishi would be another strong contender among Senior Ladies at Eastern Sectionals, I would say.

At Midwestern Sectionals, both Senior Ladies and Junior Ladies could be very interesting.

Good luck to all.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Start orders are up for sectionals. Here is the senior ladies group where Gracie will compete on Friday evening-

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27740/CAT009SEG016.html

looks like her main competition will be from Sarah Jung, Emily Zhang, Jill Heiner and Audrey Shin, if i'm remembering past results correctly. i'm sure Gracie and her team know what they are facing here and she can't put out the same skates as regionals if she wants to advance. i think regionals may have been a bit of a wake up call for them. but i hope she will be happy with whatever she does and if things don't work out for nationals, she will come back stronger next season and use it as a motivating factor.

also, Courtney Hicks and Pooja Kalyan will be competing at midwesterns.

Don’t at least some of these ladies already have byes to nationals, and if so, doesn’t that mean their placements here don’t count for the purposes of others (like Gracie) qualifying? Or is that only for regionals?

The other thing is, Gracie still needs the tech min.

Excited for and hoping she does the best she can here!

macy

Record Breaker
Don’t at least some of these ladies already have byes to nationals, and if so, doesn’t that mean their placements here don’t count for the purposes of others (like Gracie) qualifying? Or is that only for regionals?

i guess i'm not sure. i know some ladies had byes to sectionals, but if they had byes to nationals i don't think they wouldn't be here. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Excited for and hoping she does the best she can here
!

Me too. This is such a huge deal for her AND her fans. I worry about how it will effect her if she doesn't qualify this year. She's been through so much and I applaud her effort no matter what happens. Sending her good vibes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

The only byes for nationals I know of is top 5 at last year’s nats, a conflict with an international assignment or qualifying for jgpf. I’m pretty sure none of those ladies have byes to nationals.

Good luck to Gracie and all the competitors. Sounds like it will be an interesting competition!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

AFAIK, ten Senior Ladies have byes to Nats:

Alysa Liu, Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Hanna Harrell, Ting Cui -- who were top five at 2019 Nats

Amber Glenn, Starr Andrews, Karen Chen -- who have international byes for receiving two GP assignments this season

Gabbie Izzo, Megan Wessenberg -- who have international byes for having three international assignments this season​

With the exceptions of Alysa, Starr, and Karen: I believe all of them belong to either the Eastern or Midwestern Section, and none of them are on the entry lists for those sectionals.
(I would be surprised if Alysa or Starr or Karen were to show up on the yet-to-be-published Pacific Coast entry list. [ETA: Although the rules would not prevent them from competing at sectionals, I do not expect them to choose to.])

princessalica

Final Flight
The only one that I would think that would even possibly benefit is Alysa because she's been skating her junior version of the program, and it might be nice to skate her senior version.

princessalica

Final Flight
Where to find Qualifying Series scores

So, I was trying to work on a spreadsheet comparing scores, and so many of the qualifying series competitions do not seem to have results posted. Am I looking in the wrong places? Anyone know the best place to look? I like spread sheets a little more than I should! I'll share what I have as soon as I get more info in it.