2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 186 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

evasorange

Final Flight
Truly don’t get the Alyssa hype. Outside of the jumps, everything she does is so little girl-ish. Which, she is still a child so it’s fine. But if she is gonna compete in seniors in a fair world she would be sitting behind Bradie, Amber and Mariah. It was so great to see exciting, well performed skating by three grown ups in SENIOR skating. Hoping they can deliver more tonight!

gioccia

On the Ice
Truly don’t get the Alyssa hype. Outside of the jumps, everything she does is so little girl-ish. Which, she is still a child so it’s fine. But if she is gonna compete in seniors in a fair world she would be sitting behind Bradie, Amber and Mariah. It was so great to see exciting, well performed skating by three grown ups in SENIOR skating. Hoping they can deliver more tonight!

Not necessarily, quads and triple axels will do the gap which PCs will not cover.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Based on the improvements Bradie has made, I don't think she would necessarily score less than other Japanese ladies (except Rika) even if they are in form. Bradie has very fast and centered spins, better than Wakaba and Kaori, the same level as Satoko; Bradie's jumps are crisp with good air position and nice transition. You could argue the other three have better ss, but Bradie is not far behind. Right now I don't see Satoko's jumps getting better in the next few years, and I cannot remember when Kaori skated two clean programs at an international competition. I can only see Bradie's pcs go up if she keeps her consistency and steady improvement.

The 3 Russians and Kihira are far ahead of any American obviously. Although its been a rough season for the other Japanese skaters, Higuchi , Sakamoto and Miyahara are all better than Tennell if they are in form.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I've been thinking that even without the freak fall Mariah wouldn't have had enough points to pass Bradie, and without it she should have IMO.
Exactly how much did she lose due to that fall?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

The hype is because she is the only US girl able to compete technically with the Russians.
She's 14 and has plenty of time to improve as a performer but her technical ability is already above any current American senior.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa may be able to compete against the Russian JUNIORS, but despite the jumps, she is nowhere near competitive with the Russian SENIORS. She has a long way to go with SS, polish and finesse.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah and Amber were the highlights for me. Bradie has the jumps and has improved, but if Mariah didn’t fall an that footwork (darn it!) I would’ve had her in 1st. Alysa I would’ve had in 4th.
It was also great seeing Amber’s reaction to Mariah’s fall, although kind of odd for the camera to go show it. She seemed genuinely like she was cheering on Bell.
They all appear to be nice girls, good sportsmanship
And Gracie. I could tell by her face she was nervous. She did well. Like most I am just so happy to have her back. What a great role model for all skaters at all stages of their career. She was nailing those 3/3’s in practice all week. I hope she’ll continue and improve. So proud of this young lady. Absolute courage!!

Jackie Wong tweeted he had never been to a practice where Amber Glenn did not applaud every other skater. She seems to be a true class act. I’m a fan of that.

I just want Gracie to do well enough that she doesn’t have to do Regionals and Sectionals again. She’s proved herself. Enough. At this point I think she’d just be taking a spot from someone else.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this was literally me after Mariah fell: :gaah: :tantrum:

that was THE BEST i have ever seen her skate until she made that silly mistake. she was so in character through the whole thing, the jumps were solid, the spins beautiful, she was sassier and more fierce than i've ever seen her. whyyyyyyyyyy mariah whyyyyyyyy

Wasn’t it just a point deduction? She’s not far behind.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Gracie to skip Regionals/Sectionals she'd have to finish top 5. That's just not going to happen. However, if she does summer comps and places well, USFS might send her to an international that conflicts w. Regionals and/or Sectionals.

I lked the performances of Maxine Maria Bautista and of Gabriella Izzo. Sarah Jung left a lot of points on the table, but her skating has many good qualities and I felt that she has potential going forward.

As for the long program, to me it is cut and dried. If Alyssa Liu hits on her two triple Axels and her quad Lutz then all the talk about juniorish skating skills, etc., will be irrelevant to the outcome. If she is only two out of three it could be a dogfight, especially if Mariah goes clean. (For some reason I expect Bradie to be clean, not so confident about the others. :) )

NBC got a great shot of Bradie and Amber Glenn backstage when Mariah fell. They were both like, "Oh no! I can't believe it!"

Wasn’t it just a point deduction? She’s not far behind.

The fall was on the step sequence, right? So she got -1 GOE on that element instead of, say +1, in addition to the fall deduction. And it might have made a difference of a point in overall PSCs. So I would say she lost about 4 points, which wpuld put her even with Brady.

Johnnie Weir commentating, before the scores came up, said that without the fall Mariah might have edged out Brady, but with the fall she would probably be in third.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a link to the ladies' short program? I have tried to find it in youtube but I can't find other videos other than Mariah Bell and Alyssa Liu.

NBC is vicious about taking them down. If you manage to find one watch it fast. The only way you might find one is by checking Patrick Commentates Figure Skating YouTube channel, who is so loud he drowns out the music and NBC’s technology can’t pick it up.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
The fall was on the step sequence, right? So she got -1 GOE on that element instead of, say +1, in addition to the fall deduction. And it might have made a difference of a point in overall PSCs. So I would say she lost about 4 points, which wpuld put her even with Brady.

Johnnie Weir commentating, before the scores came up, said that without the fall Mariah might have edged out Brady, but with the fall she would probably be in third.

If she hadn't fallen I would have personally had her edging out Bradie.

Alysa may be able to compete against the Russian JUNIORS, but despite the jumps, she is nowhere near competitive with the Russian SENIORS.

True, true. But then, you can say that about a lot of skaters around the world, that they are not on a par with the likes of Kostornaia, Sccherbakova and Trusova. For instance, the Russian seniors Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva, etc., are not competitive with the Big Three.

What will happen next year? Who knows. Maybe all of them (including Allysa) have hit their lifetime peak this season and will soon be be struggling to hold on.

elliana

On the Ice
I have the option to watch on NBC live or NBC Sports Gold. Which should I watch (which will have better commentators?) Sorry if this was already asked...

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I have the option to watch on NBC live or NBC Sports Gold. Which should I watch (which will have better commentators?) Sorry if this was already asked...

NBC Sports Gold will show you every skater + slowmos and their scores while NBC live often skips stuff. Also commentators that don't talk over the skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm so proud of Bradie. She's been a rock all season and doesn't get freaked out by Alysa and her 3A and quads. She goes out and does her job and I love that about her. I'm still not a huge fan of Tara's commentary but she was much better this. What a show

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm so happy for Mariah!! Man, I was crying with her at the end of that skate. Absolutely stunning. I do love Alysa, but that was the skate of Mariah's life and a small part of me really wanted the judges to give it to her. Oh well, still the best performance of the night for me!

Obviously Alysa's jumps are fantastic, but what impresses me the most about her is her constant improvements in the other areas of her skating. You can tell that she WANTS to improve and is more than willing to put in the work to improve. Shame about the quad lutz, but the triple axels were gorgeous! She just radiates joy and passion when she skates and I hope she never loses that.

I'm heartbroken for Bradie. The program was going SO well, but it all fell apart at the end. Hopefully she'll come back with a vengeance for Four Continents and Worlds :agree2:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Did Bradie’s new dress look a little bit like Mariah’s? I think so....

Maybe Sierra Venetta can join Alysa at junior worlds? I think that starr will be invited to go, though... but I don’t think that’s the right choice.