2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
2019-20 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

2 spots at worlds and a 13 year old national champion... what’s next for U.S. ladies?

Big questions:

1. How will Alysa do/look on the JGP?

2. Is Hanna moving up to senior internationally? Is Pooja? Is Ting? EDIT: Ting received two senior GP’s, Hanna and Pooja appear to be staying junior.

3. Can Mariah up her jump content?

4. Will Gracie compete? Will Karen?
EDIT: Karen has received two GP’s and posted on USFSA Instagram page that she intends to compete at them.

Main Contenders:

Bradie Tennell: Bradie is the most consistent lady in the U.S., but with a few down moments last season it was clear that her consistency does not rival that of the Japanese or Russian ladies. She earned the only American GP medal in the ladies division, won the 4cc short, and stayed safely in the top 7 at worlds with two clean programs. Will she try triple axels next season? Will she bring back the lutz-loop? Will she win back her U.S. title?

Mariah Bell: Mariah finished in the top ten (9th) at worlds with two of her most solid programs... ever. She fell safely into the top 5 at both her Grand Prix assignments, and got back on the podium at U.S. nationals with a bronze. To keep climbing both internationally and domestically she’ll need to up her jump content. Can she make the leap and podium on the GP circuit this season?

Ting Cui: I will make the assumption she is turning senior this season. Last March, Ting captured America’s first Junior Worlds medal in the ladies division since Gold in 2012. She has it all; beautiful posture, arms, and jumps... but needs more consistency. She is working on a quad toe, and I personally believe her only weakness is her knee bend. Will she capitalize on her potential and quickly rise to the top, or does she need a bit more time to figure it out?

Alysa Liu: This is a lady whom needs no introduction. The 2019 U.S. National Champion, and her debut on the JGP has been long awaited. With a 3a, and a possible 4lutz she is what America has been waiting for! Wait, that’s a lot of pressure for a 13 year-old... can she handle it?

Other contenders:

Hanna Harrell: Junior or Senior? Not sure... either way she will be a player in U.S. ladies. Wonderful jumps and her new programs look promising as well!! She made a big splash last year at U.S. nats(4th), and stayed on that upward trend for Junior Worlds(7th). She said she wants a quad flip or toe. Can she get it? Is she ready to start medaling against the big players internationally?

Calista Choi: Calista will be on the JGP next season after winning Novice ladies. She has wonderful SS for her age, and loads of potential... but she’s splitting her time between singles and pairs. She’ll need a 3-3 or two to be a player. Can she make a splash?

Isabelle Inthisone: Novice ladies bronze medalist and will also be on the JGP. She trains with Calista and has been working a quad toe, as well as 3-3’s. I honestly don’t know much about her skating, but she could definitely land in the top 5 or higher at her JGP/S with the jumps she shows on Instagram. Will she?

Starr Andrews: This girl went through a bit of a slump last season after making people notice her at 2018 nationals. She has tried triple axels before, but never rotated them. She has been toying with having the lutz in or not as well. She has a “star”-quality when she puts it all together. Will she figure it out come September?

Anyone I missed? thoughts for next season?

Scott512

Record Breaker

2 spots at worlds and a 13 year old national champion... what’s next for U.S. ladies?

Big questions:

2. Is Hanna moving up to senior internationally? Is Pooja? Is Ting?

Main Contenders:

Bradie Tennell: Bradie is the most consistent lady in the U.S., but with a few down moments last season it was clear that her consistency does not rival that of the Japanese or Russian ladies. She earned the only American GP medal in the ladies division, won the 4cc short, and stayed safely in the top 7 at worlds with two clean programs. Will she try triple axels next season? Will she bring back the lutz-loop? Will she win back her U.S. title?

Mariah Bell: Mariah finished in the top ten (9th) at worlds with two of her most solid programs... ever. She fell safely into the top 5 at both her Grand Prix assignments, and got back on the podium at U.S. nationals with a bronze. To keep climbing both internationally and domestically she’ll need to up her jump content. Can she make the leap and podium on the GP circuit this season?
Ting Cui: I will make the assumption she is turning senior this season. Last March, Ting captured America’s first Junior Worlds medal in the ladies division since Gold in 2012. She has it all; beautiful posture, arms, and jumps... but needs more consistency. She is working on a quad toe, and I personally believe her only weakness is her knee bend. Will she capitalize on her potential and quickly rise to the top, or does she need a bit more time to figure it out?

Alysa Liu: This is a lady whom needs no introduction. The 2019 U.S. National Champion, and her debut on the JGP has been long awaited. With a 3a, and a possible 4lutz she is what America has been waiting for! Wait, that’s a lot of pressure for a 13 year-old... can she handle it?

Other contenders:

Hanna Harrell: Junior or Senior? Not sure... either way she will be a player in U.S. ladies. Wonderful jumps and her new programs look promising as well!! She made a big splash last year at U.S. nats(4th), and stayed on that upward trend for Junior Worlds(7th). She said she wants a quad flip or toe. Can she get it? Is she ready to start medaling against the big players internationally?

Calista Choi: Calista will be on the JGP next season after winning Novice ladies. She has wonderful SS for her age, and loads of potential... but she’s splitting her time between singles and pairs. She’ll need a 3-3 or two to be a player. Can she make a splash?

Isabelle Inthisone: Novice ladies bronze medalist and will also be on the JGP. She trains with Calista and has been working a quad toe, as well as 3-3’s. I honestly don’t know much about her skating, but she could definitely land in the top 5 or higher at her JGP/S with the jumps she shows on Instagram. Will she?
Starr Andrews: This girl went through a bit of a slump last season after making people notice her at 2018 nationals. She has tried triple axels before, but never rotated them. She has been toying with having the lutz in or not as well. She has a “star”-quality when she puts it all together. Will she figure it out come September?

This is actually a good squad overall with the phenom Alysa Liu set for the junior circuit with her incredible skating both technically difficult and beautiful. Like others I wonder how she can handle the pressure the immense pressure on those tiny shoulders of hers. The Russian girls have so many phenoms if one doesn't pan out one or two others will. Right now it's all on Alysa. Nobody knows what puberty and pressure will do to her but her skills are outstanding she seems to be a natural for this. Her personality is both fun and sweet. I think she can handle it.

I expect Bradie and Mariah to have very good seasons. Unless Mariah is somehow bothered by the controversy she was involved in last year. But I hope she's put that behind her.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist

Big questions:

2. Is Hanna moving up to senior internationally? Is Pooja? Is Ting?

Main Contenders:

Other contenders:

I think that Amber Glenn and Megan Wessenberg will be contenders too, considering that they placed in the top 7 at nationals and considering that the US ladies senior field isn’t that deep. Thoughts?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that Amber Glenn and Megan Wessenberg will be contenders too, considering that they placed in the top 7 at nationals and considering that the US ladies senior field isn’t that deep. Thoughts?

I would not rule out Glenn, Wessenberg or Hicks. Megan has beautiful jumps.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Bradie Tennell: Bradie is the most consistent lady in the U.S., but with a few down moments last season it was clear that her consistency does not rival that of the Japanese or Russian ladies.

While this is true, I can't think of any senior skaters last season (besides Rika) as ambitious as Bradie in improving her technical content while also remaining very consistent.

macy

Record Breaker
Wagner just posted a clip on instagram of her skating her la la land FS with a caption saying shes having a rough go getting through a long program...

Is there hope still?

andromache

Record Breaker
Wagner just posted a clip on instagram of her skating her la la land FS with a caption saying shes having a rough go getting through a long program...

Is there hope still?

No. She has been pretty public about moving on from competition.

On another note - I have no doubt Ting will go senior. As a Junior Worlds medalist, I believe she might be entitled to at least GP spot at the senior level?

Pooja and Hanna will be interesting. Hanna should stay junior. Pooja could really do either and fit in just fine, either on the JGP circuit or senior Bs.

jgordon

Spectator
No. She has been pretty public about moving on from competition.

On another note - I have no doubt Ting will go senior. As a Junior Worlds medalist, I believe she might be entitled to at least GP spot at the senior level?

Pooja and Hanna will be interesting. Hanna should stay junior. Pooja could really do either and fit in just fine, either on the JGP circuit or senior Bs.

She commented below saying that she would be competing at the Aurora Games in August.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have never heard of this competition at all.... what is it? Shocked that she’s competing again tbh.

The Aurora Games is a "sports festival" and not an ISU competition. The games will have competitors from many different sports and Ashley may be the only figure skater.

https://auroragamesfestival.com

I believe it is organized by sports agent Jerry Solomon, who is Jason Brown's agent, and, parenthetically, Nancy Kerrigan's husband.

macy

Record Breaker
i don't see Starr getting any further than she has this season. she NEEDS to change coaches if she wants more success...her SS, artistry, speed, and junior-ish skating has not improved in the last couple years, and it's not an option to fix those if she wants to win international/national medals. a triple axel, even if landed clean in competition, is not going to be the solution.

i'm certain we will see Mariah up her tech content this year, but i'm not sure if we will see clean skates and landed/rotated 3+3's from her. she has a lot of potential to be US #1 if she puts it together.

i think Bradie will have a similar season to this last one. i think she will continue to show us improved artistry and i'm hoping she brings a consistent lutz loop, but she struggled with it so much last season, so i'm not holding my breath. she does have the ability to recapture her US title.

i really think Alysa is going to be the star of this season. she has a couple more years before her mind starts playing games with her at competition, and i'm anticipating some successful quad attempts in competition along with her 3A. i think she's going to be neck and neck with Valieva on the JGP, and it's going to be really exciting.

i have a feeling Ting is going to struggle this season. there will be added pressure for being a first time senior and add in her consistency issues and potentially harder tech content, i think it's going to be too much too soon. IMO it would be wise for her team to go for solid, clean outings this year and get her comfortable with skating clean programs in senior competition, and wait to add quads until next season. hoping for the best regardless, she has the potential to be in the US top 3.

i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Amber can finally put it together and keep it together. she has SO much potential and it's so frustrating to see her continually struggle with consistency. i don't know if a coaching change is the solution, but she has the potential to be top 3 in the US.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
i don't see Starr getting any further than she has this season. she NEEDS to change coaches if she wants more success...her SS, artistry, speed, and junior-ish skating has not improved in the last couple years, and it's not an option to fix those if she wants to win international/national medals. a triple axel, even if landed clean in competition, is not going to be the solution.

i'm certain we will see Mariah up her tech content this year, but i'm not sure if we will see clean skates and landed/rotated 3+3's from her. she has a lot of potential to be US #1 if she puts it together.

i think Bradie will have a similar season to this last one. i think she will continue to show us improved artistry and i'm hoping she brings a consistent lutz loop, but she struggled with it so much last season, so i'm not holding my breath. she does have the ability to recapture her US title.

i really think Alysa is going to be the star of this season. she has a couple more years before her mind starts playing games with her at competition, and i'm anticipating some successful quad attempts in competition along with her 3A. i think she's going to be neck and neck with Valieva on the JGP, and it's going to be really exciting.

i have a feeling Ting is going to struggle this season. there will be added pressure for being a first time senior and add in her consistency issues and potentially harder tech content, i think it's going to be too much too soon. IMO it would be wise for her team to go for solid, clean outings this year and get her comfortable with skating clean programs in senior competition, and wait to add quads until next season. hoping for the best regardless, she has the potential to be in the US top 3.

i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Amber can finally put it together and keep it together. she has SO much potential and it's so frustrating to see her continually struggle with consistency. i don't know if a coaching change is the solution, but she has the potential to be top 3 in the US.

OMG , I pretty much agree with everything that was written!!!!

halulupu

Final Flight

Is there hope still?
It was a quite lame and empty attemp. She would need to relearn pretty much everything.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
MarinHondas,

I agree with just about everything you said, but I take issue with one comment about Bradie. "Bradie is the most consistent lady in the U.S., but with a few down moments last season it was clear that her consistency does not rival that of the Japanese or Russian ladies. "I know this a very common sentiment on these boards, but I don't think it's entirely fair to Bradie. Yes, the Japanese and Russian ladies' teams are more consistent than the U.S. ladies' team. But most of the Japanese and Russian ladies have made mistakes at certain competitions throughout the season--Medvedeva, Zagitova, Konstantinova, Sakamoto, Higuchi, Kihiri, etc. To me the difference is that if one of the Japanese or Russian ladies falter, there is another one usually to step onto the podium in their place. Bradie doesn't have that luxury. If she makes any mistakes, then the U.S. is out of the medals because our next best skater, Mariah, doesn't have the technical goods to win medals and there aren't any other U.S. senior ladies right now to step in.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
MarinHondas,

I agree with just about everything you said, but I take issue with one comment about Bradie. "Bradie is the most consistent lady in the U.S., but with a few down moments last season it was clear that her consistency does not rival that of the Japanese or Russian ladies. "I know this a very common sentiment on these boards, but I don't think it's entirely fair to Bradie. Yes, the Japanese and Russian ladies' teams are more consistent than the U.S. ladies' team. But most of the Japanese and Russian ladies have made mistakes at certain competitions throughout the season--Medvedeva, Zagitova, Konstantinova, Sakamoto, Higuchi, Kihiri, etc. To me the difference is that if one of the Japanese or Russian ladies falter, there is another one usually to step onto the podium in their place. Bradie doesn't have that luxury. If she makes any mistakes, then the U.S. is out of the medals because our next best skater, Mariah, doesn't have the technical goods to win medals and there aren't any other U.S. senior ladies right now to step in.

That’s true. I mean, she probably is one of the most consistent skaters right now, but the Russian juniors coming up never make mistakes on non-quad elements and Japan has Mihara who is very consistent, and Rika who is very consistent on everything non 3a. Bradie is consistent though and it’s awesome to have her in the U.S.:luv17:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we saw the potential Bradie has at WTT - she can challenge the big girls for sure. Mariah looks good comparatively to the other girls with Alycia being ineligible for seniors. I think Liu will survive puberty and her jumps unlike the Russians - its' in the genes not the hard work. As for Ashley I wish her will but her time seems to be over.

Maybe with Gracie no longer in the limelight she can regain her confidence and ability. It would be an amazing comeback but times are different - I personally am sad to say so even if she gets back to her huge triples it may not be enough. I admire the comeback. It must be hard financially she does not have all the endorsements of yesteryear and her family funds are no longer as deep but if she is doing what she loves let's hope she just does it!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
That’s true. I mean, she probably is one of the most consistent skaters right now, but the Russian juniors coming up never make mistakes on non-quad elements

Never say never. Trusova would have liked that spin back at the JGPF last season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Bradie sort of struggled with the loop combo, but I think every attempt she landed on one foot was more rotated than Alina's in the Worlds LP. She might be better off not attempting it until Worlds, so she doesn't develop a reputation of being short on rotation during the regular season when calling seems to be stricter.