2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 201 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Rule changes are possible, but some of the criticizing/complaining seems excessive. Figure skating isn’t going to become more popular in the US if Mariah is judged to win the national title over Alysa. It’s likely that fewer know of Mariah compared to Alysa and Bradie - she hasn’t won Nationals, been to the Olympics, or even performed in Stars on Ice. The proclamations that her skating is what people want to see and what people want from a champion are certainly not the opinion of many.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
We can't ever have changes in rules, that never ever happens in figure skating. Nope, we have had this one judging system for all time, and all the point values and grade of execution have been set since the first amateur lady and man decided to make this sport

It's amazing how short people's memories are.

No one is saying that rules never change or that rules shouldn't change, they're just saying that calling for the age limit to be raised just because their favorite didn't win is ridiculous.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I read several commentors talking down Mariah’s skating skills. And it’s not offensive to say Alysa skates like a 14 year old, because she does. Her skating is kind of boring because it’s very juniorish. She has bright points that show how she could grow but I don’t expect mature programs from her at 13/14.

May I ask, how is it offensive to say that Mariah's skating skills aren't the best in the field, but not offensive to call Alysa's skating "boring" and state is as a fact and not an opinion? Just because you agree with one of those statements doesn't make it less offensive. You can't say "well this borderline mean statement isn't offensive because its true", because in the end they're just opinions. Especially if you're then going to get offended at a constructive criticism of Mariah. And by the way, I loved both Mariah and Alysa's performances so I'm not really bias for either one of them.

brightphoton

Medalist
Strange that "the winner isn't my favorite skater" isn't considered a valid justification for a rule change, because that's been the basis of many rule changes.

We have a short program literally because Janet Lynn didn't win a world medal and beat Trixie.
After the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, they reduced the value of double axels, probably because Yuna did too many of them.
They then changed the "all jumps in second half get bonus points" rule because of Alina Zagitova.

And now, courtesy of USFSA, we have the new rule "we'll choose our favorites to go to Worlds/Olympics regardless of Nationals results" -- because the right skaters aren't winning at Nationals.
At first, you had to be the great Michelle Kwan to sidestep the 1-2-3 go to Worlds/Olympics rule.
Then it was, but it's Ashley, she carried the ladies team for a decade, she can go to the Olympics despite finishing lower.
Then it was, Ross Miner can't go to the Olympics, it should be Adam because Ross's one good performance was a fluke.
Now apparently it's Vincent should go over that new kid because Vincent says he didn't train for a long time, but now he's going to do it seriously for real, so he gets to go to Worlds despite finishing lower.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
In terms of all-around skater, Karen is. Her spins are one of the best, her spiral IS probably the best in the world (position and the duration she can hold), her SS is better than Mariah, Bradie, Alysa. If she can fix her under rotations... A technical coach like Raf or Oser can probably do, considering Mariah finally got her 3-3 stable at the age of 23.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rule changes are possible, but some of the criticizing/complaining seems excessive. Figure skating isn’t going to become more popular in the US if Mariah is judged to win the national title over Alysa. It’s likely that fewer know of Mariah compared to Alysa and Bradie - she hasn’t won Nationals, been to the Olympics, or even performed in Stars on Ice. The proclamations that her skating is what people want to see and what people want from a champion are certainly not the opinion of many.

I don't want to get an argument but in my opinion and from my uneducated knowledge Mariah's skating is kind of what are Americans are expecting and or used too. Pretty, solid feminine, graceful skating in vein of Kwan, Cohen, Kerrigan, Cadavy, Trenary and even further back to Sumners and Fratianne.

macy

Record Breaker
I don't want to get an argument but in my opinion and from my uneducated knowledge Mariah's skating is kind of what are Americans are expecting and or used too. Pretty, solid feminine, graceful skating in vein of Kwan, Cohen, Kerrigan, Cadavy, Trenary and even further back to Sumners and Fratianne.

i would say this is a pretty true statement. any posts i see from the Olympic Channel or NBC sports on my social media feed having to do with 3A or Alysa the overwhelming majority of comments are extremely negative about being jumping beans, no artistry, no quality, etc. i've also heard this narrative from family members who watch- both my parents were in favor of Mariah winning this weekend (of course, they don't understand the scoring system).

obviously it's not true for everyone, but i would say that statement is pretty accurate.

macy

Record Breaker
on a different note, what do you think we will see from Gracie next season? will she get a senior b or a challenger? what about nabbing the 3rd SA spot? will she qualify to nationals without having to go through regionals and sectionals?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
on a different note, what do you think we will see from Gracie next season? will she get a senior b or a challenger? what about nabbing the 3rd SA spot? will she qualify to nationals without having to go through regionals and sectionals?

Personally, I would give her senior B’s. I would only give her SA if she performs well at 2 or more summer competitions. By well I mean, three triples in short and 5 triples in long. Otherwise, she deserves a senior B or two for sure but if she doesn’t show this, she’s not ready for Skate America.

That's interesting, because I feel like this is the source of my problem for Bradie. I have no idea who she is because every season is a new narrative for her.

But then again, we could go the opposite way and say that we appreciate Bradie because she is a versatile performer who can take on many different roles.

macy

Record Breaker
Personally, I would give her senior B’s. I would only give her SA if she performs well at 2 or more summer competitions. By well I mean, three triples in short and 5 triples in long. Otherwise, she deserves a senior B or two for sure but if she doesn’t show this, she’s not ready for Skate America.

i can't imagine getting the 3rd spot won't be one of her goals. i've said it before in this thread, but the ball really needs to start rolling next season if she wants to be a contender for 2022. she needs to go into nationals as a podium contender and possibly even for the world team. i imagine she will make the most of her time between now and the fall and train really hard. she has about 8 months or so to really solidify things and get into great shape...she has a solid spring board now to build on. of course, that is if her goal is still the olympics.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
It would be a big jump to go from 12th to podium/Worlds team by next year. Multiple skaters (including more than one of this year’s medalists) would have to falter. Next year could be more competitive if Ting and Hanna return. I know she’s a sentimental favorite of many, but Gracie making the Olympic team seems very unrealistic.

macy

Record Breaker
It would be a big jump to go from 12th to podium/Worlds team by next year. Multiple skaters (including more than one of this year’s medalists) would have to falter. Next year could be more competitive if Ting and Hanna return. I know she’s a sentimental favorite of many, but Gracie making the Olympic team seems very unrealistic.

These are also my thoughts. it is an awfully tall order, but i will say not completely impossible. a lot can happen in another 2 years as we all know. i think much depends on the work she puts in from now until the start of next season.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Strange that "the winner isn't my favorite skater" isn't considered a valid justification for a rule change, because that's been the basis of many rule changes.

We have a short program literally because Janet Lynn didn't win a world medal and beat Trixie.
After the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, they reduced the value of double axels, probably because Yuna did too many of them.
They then changed the "all jumps in second half get bonus points" rule because of Alina Zagitova.

And now, courtesy of USFSA, we have the new rule "we'll choose our favorites to go to Worlds/Olympics regardless of Nationals results" -- because the right skaters aren't winning at Nationals.
At first, you had to be the great Michelle Kwan to sidestep the 1-2-3 go to Worlds/Olympics rule.
Then it was, but it's Ashley, she carried the ladies team for a decade, she can go to the Olympics despite finishing lower.
Then it was, Ross Miner can't go to the Olympics, it should be Adam because Ross's one good performance was a fluke.
Now apparently it's Vincent should go over that new kid because Vincent says he didn't train for a long time, but now he's going to do it seriously for real, so he gets to go to Worlds despite finishing lower.

USFA has a lot of egg on their face. Sadly this has been going on for a while. But recently it has been more blatant.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Mariah was featured with Adam Rippon on the olympic channel podcast and it seems one of her goals for next season is a triple axel.

I think that Adam working with Mariah has been such an awesome team up. It’s clearly helped her to build confidence on the ice and I really look forward to where they go next season. I hope for Mariah’s success and worlds and that she continues to build and move forward next season.

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...&utm_campaign=news-owned_&utm_content=podcast

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
These are also my thoughts. it is an awfully tall order, but i will say not completely impossible. a lot can happen in another 2 years as we all know. i think much depends on the work she puts in from now until the start of next season.

I'm also a bit more skeptical of Gracie's Olympic team chances after Nationals. I'd like to see her compete in the summer events and some fall Senior Bs because nothing can replicate competing under pressure. Her stamina has improved because she is doing triples in the second half of her LP now. Still, the consistency she needs to churn out 7 triple LPs, plus her 2As, isn't nearly there. I haven't seen anything from her yet to suggest that she can pass up either Bradie or Mariah anytime soon though.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Regardless of any excuses, a selection process that takes into account body of work would not leave a WBMist at home. (Unless we're talking about Russian ladies.)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Curious to see if Hannah Harrell will spend a 4th season on the jgp....or if she’ll try for the SA host spot.

But about this current season: this will be Amber Glenn’s first 4CC, I think?

macy

Record Breaker
USFA has a lot of egg on their face. Sadly this has been going on for a while. But recently it has been more blatant.

regarding the last section of brightphoton's post about world/olympic team selection, many people forget or just don't like that nationals is not the only qualifying competition to make these teams. i don't remember the specifics, but the current and previous seasons grand prix circuit & JGP circuits, JGPF/GPF, JW/worlds, and nationals results are part of the selection criteria. USFSA is only following their own rules and guidelines, it seems the public has more of an issue that nationals does not solely determine the teams.

that's all i'm gonna say on the subject without opening that can of worms even more.