2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Karen Chen just skated her SP at the Broadmoor Open. Looks like she got 76.04! I guess she either finally fixed her jumps or she got lucky and rotated them! Good luck to her in the FS.

Amber Glenn also skated her SP. She got 65.24. Nice job Amber!

Good to see these two ladies already doing well at their first competition of the season!

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Oh wow Karen :eeking: She's been doing some livestreams on instagram lately and she seems so centered and mature. I thought she seemed like she was doing really well. Hoping she can keep the momentum going.

Now time to hope and pray for some videos! Not expecting anything, but hoping!

Elucidus

Match Penalty
The first 3a was << and got no call?:scratch2:
All first 4 jumps were Ured - only 2 were called, Not only that - they ignored Zayak rule too :confused: Three repetitions of a jump.. is there a way to inform judges from that competition, I wonder? Idk whether tech panel there is so incompetent or they missed this deliberately? Then again - it's not only judges error - it's coaches error as well - having such content planned. Considering it was planned and wasn't called as a result.. I don't think it's a coincidence 0_0

macy

Record Breaker
Yeah, at a competition in the US judged by national judges, come on now.

I am a fan of alysa, but this lp looked very raw. In other news, Karen Chen must have have skated a pretty solid short. She earned a score of 76+ https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144036639058083840?s=21

Amber Glenn is in second with 65+ and Pooja takes third with 51+

wow great job karen! good to see after being off last season. happy amber skated well too, i hope we get to see videos.

frida80

Record Breaker
Actually after reading the rules again, Alysa DID Zayak!!!!

:palmf:

I'm so embarrassed I didn't catch that! She's only allowed to repeat one Quad and one Triple! The second Lutz should have been invalid! Our tech controllers are ridiculous!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
above famous Korean skater after all :confused2:

Also having her first, very likely raw, performance of the season. As we did not see any of these raw performances except Alysa's, we would very likely be remiss in assuming that the challenging day is not fairly mutual. (I've seen quite a few summer event streams and, while you can for sure see potential, you pretty much always get hot mess. Even when athletes keep a program, it often looks like a hot mess in June & July). Sometimes you see athletes make it through an SP, but an LP. VERY rare.

Yes, club competition scores are very rarely held to the same standards as international competitions. This is a club event, not an international. Young can skate there, but that doesn't make the event an international. (The summer international events I can think of, off the top of my head, in the U.S. are the Philadelphia International and Lake Placid International).

frida80

Record Breaker
Well, all is possible - if judges will decide so. Here is You Young's
protocol from the same competition:
https://media.8ch.net/file_store/42...be28201e36396f036a3c06832884238c6bc9bb807.jpg
Liu's "slow jumps and small skating" were assessed as having almost +5 PCS points advantage above famous Korean skater after all :confused2:

Considering it's still international competition - well, yes? :scratch2:

Young was there?! I was hoping she was at Broadmore, but no one mentioned a thing! I feel like these results are incomplete unless you list all the competitors and not just the American ones. After all Young has a 3A too and knowing that Alysa has competition changes atmosphere of the competition.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Also having her first, very likely raw, performance of the season. As we did not see any of these raw performances except Alysa's, we would very likely be remiss in assuming that the challenging day is not fairly mutual. (I've seen quite a few summer event streams and, while you can for sure see potential, you pretty much always get hot mess. Even when athletes keep a program, it often looks like a hot mess in June & July). Sometimes you see athletes make it through an SP, but an LP. VERY rare.

Yes, club competition scores are very rarely held to the same standards as international competitions. This is a club event, not an international. Young can skate there, but that doesn't make the event an international. (The summer international events I can think of, off the top of my head, in the U.S. are the Philadelphia International and Lake Placid International).

If I recall, last season Broadmoor Open was the test event for the new scoring system. While that was last year and this is this year, they really should have decent judging at an event where a lot of elite skaters debut programs. It’s pretty useless otherwise.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh, for goodness sake. How do you know whether the judging was decent or not? We haven't seen the competition. Let's not invent stuff and just enjoy what we are learning. Alysa went for two quad lutzes (one in combination) and two triple axels. Unheard of in the ladies field. Young went for her triple axel. Good for her. She's keeping after it. Karen is back on the ice and skated an SP that--no matter how you slice it--was clearly better than her only outing all of last season. Amber, as far as we know, had a decent debut skate. Enjoy. All these ladies have just gotten out there and put themselves on the line right now so that, hopefully, down the road they will have the reps and confidence it takes to compete when the cameras are rolling.

readernick

Medalist
When was the last time Lori did a good program for a lady? Carolina Kostner?

Her best work these days are for the Chinese pairs. She seems dried out on inspiration when it comes to ladies skaters.

Satako's SP last year was absolutely inspired. My favorite SP of the year along with Eunsoo's. But, Lori really only gives great choreography to good performers with great SS. I would not put Alysa in that category。

Shani

On the Ice
Alysa may well end up in that category or not. Just let her grow and enjoy her skills. And reflect that as an emerging skater she took senior nationals, when the judges left a scoring gap that Bradie or Mariah could have won if they were not over anxious. They didn't do the job and she did.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
All this hand-wringing over a domestic June competition is the most amusing thing I've come across all day. The prediction of what's going to happen in February of 2022 based on something that happened in June of 2019 is personally my favorite bit. This off-season really has us bored, doesn't it?

frida80

Record Breaker
If I recall, last season Broadmoor Open was the test event for the new scoring system. While that was last year and this is this year, they really should have decent judging at an event where a lot of elite skaters debut programs. It’s pretty useless otherwise.

Club competition judging is ALWAYS crap. I've seen sooooooo many bad call it's ridiculous. It doesn't matter which competition it is, it's always terrible. We've sent so many skaters to international competitions that were shocked about their calls. It all stems from these crappy callers at these smaller comps.

Just think, it's if this bad at the senior level think about how bad it is at juvenile when skaters are just attempting their 2As and triples. Think about how many are getting poor feedback that they could be fixing right now, but won't learn about until their first international competition? There's a reason why we haven't been competitive internationally in eons, and it has nothing to do with having no talent. It all comes down to these same pathetic tech controllers that fail to do their jobs. If they did, skaters like Karen, Bradie and many more would've been far better off.

frida80

Record Breaker
All this hand-wringing over a domestic June competition is the most amusing thing I've come across all day. The prediction of what's going to happen in February of 2022 based on something that happened in June of 2019 is personally my favorite bit. This off-season really has us bored, doesn't it?

This happens every summer. Everyone goes nuts over these club comps. The irony is the Aerial competition is a good predictor of success. Tomoki and Alysa won last year. Tomoki won JW and Alysa won Nationals. Hanna was in second at was 4th at nationals. I honestly consider this the start of the pre season. Expect more commentary as more skaters debut their programs.

natsulian

Final Flight
I feel like it's the end of the world when I read these posts...

1. It's a summer competition, Alysa SHOULD NOT be looking in prime/pristine condition when she's attempting a NEW layout with NEW music and NEW jumps

2. The altitude is crazy and skaters have constantly talked about how slow they are and how much the altitude affects their skating negatively

3. Alysa's been actively training the 4Lz for about five months and probably only got off the harness a few months ago

4. Alysa does need to work on SS and speed because the program looks flat and jump, jump, jump

5. They need to change her layout AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because she CANNOT start building up a reputation of under-rotating jumps internationally and due to her having had hip surgery already, I don't see how she can retain her jumps

6. Possible new layout: 3A+3T, 4Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3A / 3Lz-Eu-3S, 3F, and 3Lz

7. The team probably took much of the summer focusing on the 4Lz and they'll need to work on the other aspects of Alysa's skating

Best of luck to her. In other news, Ting will be competing at the Peggy Flemming competition.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Alysa's free music is "New World Symphony" and it may be Jennifer Thomas rendition. speaking of which Karen's SP "fire dance" is also from Jennifer Thomas and she also played "a beautiful storm" for Rika's stormy free last season.

seems Lori is the choreographer for Alysa's free :biggrin:

Shani

On the Ice
Alysa is an amazing talent. She is also young. Weight gain shifts the jump axis so we will have to see how she jumps once she comes out of puberty the same way we have to wait with all the Russian skaters, and once had to do with Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya, both of whom were amazing.

frida80

Record Breaker
I feel like it's the end of the world when I read these posts...

1. It's a summer competition, Alysa SHOULD NOT be looking in prime/pristine condition when she's attempting a NEW layout with NEW music and NEW jumps

2. The altitude is crazy and skaters have constantly talked about how slow they are and how much the altitude affects their skating negatively

3. Alysa's been actively training the 4Lz for about five months and probably only got off the harness a few months ago

4. Alysa does need to work on SS and speed because the program looks flat and jump, jump, jump

5. They need to change her layout AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because she CANNOT start building up a reputation of under-rotating jumps internationally and due to her having had hip surgery already, I don't see how she can retain her jumps

6. Possible new layout: 3A+3T, 4Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3A / 3Lz-Eu-3S, 3F, and 3Lz

7. The team probably took much of the summer focusing on the 4Lz and they'll need to work on the other aspects of Alysa's skating

Best of luck to her. In other news, Ting will be competing at the Peggy Flemming competition.

Alysa has not had hip surgery. The interview said that she has a minor hip injury.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa has not had hip surgery. The interview said that she has a minor hip injury.

I apologize, misinformation on my part.

According to Lynn, Karen landed 3Lz+3T, 2A, and 3Lo. Chen's coach, Tammy, said, "Karen is back. She's in a good place, skating for her own reasons, passion and love for the sport".

Amber Glenn landed 3F+3T, 2A, and 3Lo for 2nd place.

Video of Karen's 3Lz+3T on her Instagram Story: https://instagram.com/karebearsk8?igshid=12jblgr1u4u5n

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
I have seen tweets today mentioning Alysa’s “multiple hip surgeries” ... wonder where they got this from.