2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Just watched Bradie's long program from Japan Open, and woah she looks great. Very elegant out there. She looks like she actually feels this music rather than just skating to it and making movements. Artistry may not come natural to her, but this music and program suit her very well.

Bradie is one I didn’t follow in years past because I didn’t find her interesting but I got to go to 4CC this year and live I felt she had a lot of presence and power on the ice. She caught my attention more than most of the other girls because of the speed and presence she has. I wasn’t expecting that when I was there. I really look forward to how she builds this season with how hard she’s been working.

Amei

Record Breaker
I completely agree with this. I’ve seen many brutal comments for most skaters in general, but some of the worst ones were towards Gracie and other U.S. skaters. People need to start thinking about how powerful their words can be, online or in-person.

Speaking about harsh comments towards U.S. skaters, not only is Alysa receiving way too much nowadays, but also Bradie. I don’t understand why so many people seem to have such a big problem with Bradie. For starters, even GS has some brutal commenters...:slink:

The only 'harsh' comments I've seen of Alysa are of her "quads" getting credited when they aren't close, and she's not getting near the hate the Russian girls got when they started jumping quads...but then again they are just 80 pound skaters successful for 1-2 years until they are has beens, (to paraphrase some of what I've read in this thread)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Gracie, am thrilled to see her competing again, and admire the grit and courage she showed in getting through her first full competition in three years. She’s struggled a lot over the past few years, so the fact that she feels safe and supported at Ice Works is a great thing.

The idea that she’s damaging her body doing triples right now strikes me as no more than a thinly-disguised judgement that she’s “too fat” and doesn’t “look right” to be an elite skater, with which I totally disagree.

That said, if I recall correctly, Gracie’s stated goal is to contend for a spot on the next Olympic team. If that goal changes as she continues on her journey - or has already changed - she might be with exactly the right coach. But if she’s serious about making the next Olympic team, I do wonder if Vincent is the right one to get her there.

Although we don’t know for sure that she hasn’t competed since Rostelecom or that the only show she’s done was at Ice Works in April, that’s kinda the way it looks. Comparing her programs here to her April ex (same as SP), she’s completing harder elements - which is great - but overall they still look pretty rough. It’s not just that she lacks stamina. Her basic skating and overall execution just don’t look much better. And that’s a concern, because as we saw, she’s being judged on those things.

Sure, she has to go step by step, some of what we saw this weekend is down to nerves, and she may not be able to afford as much training time as would be ideal. But...given this is the same coaching team that let her go to Rostelecom last year, I do question their judgment, priorities, and technical expertise.

We’ll see where’s she’s at next month. If she’s made huge strides, I will happily, happily, happily admit to being wrong.

She went to Rostelecom against her coaches' wishes.

I'd be really, really surprised if she managed to compete somewhere and not have it get out. Although it might not be known in advance so the venue wasn't SRO like it was at Iceworks, there would definitely be chatter on the Internet after it, and probably videos.

natsulian

Final Flight
I agree about Bradie as well. When the USFS started backing her people started acting really negative towards her. I feel like figure skating fans are either super objective or super negative. Someone mentioned Ashley Wagner I agree she was the same, I always loved Ashley and there was constant negative on her. It’s especially terrible among figure skating fans on twitter but I’ve seen it here too. There used to be many threads on Gracie and Ashley on here that were negative and not productive. I am glad people don’t seem to make threads like that anymore.

I will also say there’s a lot of negativity towards other girls as well not just the US girls, but we’re discussing the US girls here.

No one will remember the trivial moments such as overtly negative anti-fans, mass dislikes, or the dumpster quality YouTube comment section. People will remember YOUR LEGACY and what you PUT OUT ON THE ICE and here are the facts: Ashley Wagner, alongside other amazing ladies, carried the US ladies for nearly a decade and put them on the world map. She won a silver at Worlds, is a multi-National title holder, and is known for her exceptional performance qualities. When all is said and done, people will remember you for what you did and said, and Ashley has done SO much for not only figure skating, but sport in general.

Also, most of the times, the comments are not generally geared towards the skater... more-so the federation and flag they represent. These keyboard warriors internalize their hatred for the US Figure Skating federation and use it to launch attacks against ANY skater that bear such a connection. I've learned to love a skater not because of the flag or federation they represent, but because of what THEY PUT OUT ON THE ICE. Sadly, the same people who are screaming for more objective based judging are the ones being subjective and adding fuel to the flame.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh Ting isn't having the kind of start to her first season as a Senior that she needs. :(

KatGrace1925

Medalist
The only 'harsh' comments I've seen of Alysa are of her "quads" getting credited when they aren't close, and she's not getting near the hate the Russian girls got when they started jumping quads...but then again they are just 80 pound skaters successful for 1-2 years until they are has beens, (to paraphrase some of what I've read in this thread)

The comments on Alysa got so bad on other platforms the ISU had to shut down commenting and delete comments about her. Btw you’re not a professional judge nor the arbiter of what is and isn’t close, she got credit because she did indeed complete the required rotation.

And yes there has been nastiness towards the Russian girls that is also not okay.

natsulian

Final Flight
In light of the conversation surrounding negative comments, here is what Alysa Liu had to say during an interview:

“Don’t let comments stop you from what you can achieve. Just work on what you’re trying to learn, become the best you can be and prove them wrong.”

Superbly stated.

Bord

Rinkside
While I respect Bradie's work ethic and consistency, I miss the grace, artistry and emotional connection of skaters like Alyssa Cizsny. Bradie's moves seem rehearsed, sequenced correctly and executed but lack fluidity and understanding. It is uncomfortable to watch her skate. If i could make a change I would change her choreographer to start with.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In light of the conversation surrounding negative comments, here is what Alysa Liu had to say during an interview:

“Don’t let comments stop you from what you can achieve. Just work on what you’re trying to learn, become the best you can be and prove them wrong.”

Superbly stated.

It makes me a bit sad that a child even has to prepare a response like this to her detractors.

rlopen

On the Ice
While I respect Bradie's work ethic and consistency, I miss the grace, artistry and emotional connection of skaters like Alyssa Cizsny. Bradie's moves seem rehearsed, sequenced correctly and executed but lack fluidity and understanding. It is uncomfortable to watch her skate. If i could make a change I would change her choreographer to start with.

Really? I actually have started to like her artistically, and this is coming from someone who thought she was Kimmie Meissner 2.0 in 2018. (Nothing against Kimmie and her accomplishments, but she was never my cup of tea artistically.)

She continues to make strides and improvements in the artistry department every season IMO.

skatergurl7

On the Ice

Bradie and shealynn could be a good mix. I thought her program was a huge improvement but they still haven’t found a way to package her choreo-wise and looks-wise (please change the hairstyle). She needs a program that she can naturally sell, the angular movements before looked too abstract and the ice princess-y thing now plays to her nice lines but seems put on

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Superbly stated.

A very good way to look at it but it’s sad she had to comment on negative comments at all. Not everyone can mentally handle things like that.

macy

Record Breaker

Bradie might not have natural artistry, but it's very respectable she has learned (and applied very well) LOTS in that department since the Olympics, not even 2 years ago. i'm not as bored watching her as i was before and her movements aren't as awkward and "staged", not to mention she learned to emote, even though i personally prefer someone who is more of a natural like Czisny or Wagner. Unfortunately some skaters just aren't born with it, but do the very best they can to learn it, which Bradie has done well.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
As someone who has always been a fan of Bradie, I’ve always admired how each season she is trying to become the complete package (not just all jumps or not just all “artistry”). Sure she isn’t there yet but at least she’s trying to become balanced. :slink: And it annoys me how she is constantly compared to people older and more experienced than her (last year was her first full GP season!)

halulupu

Final Flight
Bradie might not have natural artistry, but it's very respectable she has learned (and applied very well) LOTS in that department since the Olympics, not even 2 years ago. i'm not as bored watching her as i was before and her movements aren't as awkward and "staged", not to mention she learned to emote, even though i personally prefer someone who is more of a natural like Czisny or Wagner. Unfortunately some skaters just aren't born with it, but do the very best they can to learn it, which Bradie has done well.
I totally agree she made a tremendous step forward. She will never win because of her artistry but only if she can reach another TES level. To scream now for another choreographer is exactly the contrary she should do. I hope she continues her successful way with Benoit. He is responsible for the artistry level she has achieved now. Shae is kinda overrated anyway.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Czisny may have been a fine artistic skater, but technically she had her problems. You never knew which Alissa was going to show up at a competition: the one who landed all her planned jumps, or the one who doubled a few triples or had unexpected falls. And Alissa was slow.

Technically, Bradie is by far the more consistent skater of the two, and has more speed as well.

macy

Record Breaker
Czisny may have been a fine artistic skater, but technically she had her problems. You never knew which Alissa was going to show up at a competition: the one who landed all her planned jumps, or the one who doubled a few triples or had unexpected falls. And Alissa was slow.

Technically, Bradie is by far the more consistent skater of the two, and has more speed as well.

but you have to admit, Alissa had the absolute best spins in the world :love: and i still believe she does. absolutely mesmerizing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie has consistently received L4 with high GOE on all her spins and on her footwork as well.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I thought Bradie wasn’t artistic enough till I saw her live. I feel like her skills are more apparent when you see how she she moves in the entire rink. She’s really worked so hard the past few years it really is something that should be praised. She hasn’t just rested on consistent jumps and put out empty programs, she’s been working on improving her second mark. It’s nice that some skaters are very artistic innately but not everyone can be that and certainly not many are that at the moment.