2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
"Instead"??? Nathan did have a serious injury of his own.

:agree: I too was impressed by Karen's Insta Lives. She showed maturity, honesty, humor, self-deprecation, and more. She was very informative and encouraging to skaters who asked her about technique, training, nerves, etc.

And I think it was a pleasant surprise to Karen herself that she really enjoyed answering the large volume of all kinds of questions. The first time she thought she was going to just spend ten minutes, but she ended up staying for a full hour. And doing another full hour the next day.

I had forgotten about Nathan's injury-and it was a horrible one. And yet, he did come back, 100%, plus some.
It's a sport. Injuries happen, and yes, some of those injuries will have life long consequences. No different from almost any other sport.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I had forgotten about Nathan's injury-and it was a horrible one. And yet, he did come back, 100%, plus some.
It's a sport. Injuries happen, and yes, some of those injuries will have life long consequences. No different from almost any other sport.

Agreed - I competed in gymnastics as a kid/teen, I’m well aware injuries happen. But those big injuries can have lasting results over time, even if not immediate. And those injuries happening to a young girl who hasn’t yet hit puberty can permanently damage your bones. That’s a fact. It’s a risk - whether it’s worth it or not is up to the person.

I’m not handwringing over her trying quads - I’m second guessing the decision to have her put out these super tough jumps in competition at altitude when they’re under rotated and could cause her to get injured. She hasn’t had any hip surgeries that I’ve heard about, but it was mentioned during nationals last year that she has had multiple hip injuries (see here: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/amp/Richmond-s-U-S-champion-figure-skater-Alysa-13564012.php).

I think people misread concern as people talking badly about Alysa. Questioning layout choices made by her team isn’t a mark against her or her dad. And mentioning the possibility of injury isn’t negative - like you mentioned, when doing these big tricks it is often inevitable.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
"Instead"??? Nathan did have a serious injury of his own.

Yes. I apologize for the confusion in that statement. He did and a serious one. I should have clarified that after it, we had all these same comments. There were some before it as well so I see why that would be confusing. It's a serious problem. It just isn't fair, I don't think, to accuse coaches & family members of not caring about their kids because some athletes acquire more difficult jumps than others. The hazards are real but they exist for all the skaters.

macy

Record Breaker
She got fast reaction and immediately put that 3T even though her 3Lz landing is a bit shaky, nice! It looks rotated to me but idk in slow mo.

i also just saw Vincent post Gracie landing 2A-Eu-3S and its not bad, a bit shaky but its said to be her first combo/seq after a long time! So excited

here is the link-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMPBuLnlN8/

landing on the axel was shaky, but the fact she pulled off a good 3S following says a lot about her physical strength.

Ducky

On the Ice
What does the Peggy Flemming competition entail?

Any videos of Pooja? I know she struggled a lot, but she got programs from some of my favorite choreographers.. and she’s a beautiful skater:luv17: .

I can’t wait for protocols!!

The Peggy Fleming competition is focused on artistry and the skater's ability to express and present a complete composition while demonstrating technical ability. Programs have to have three jumps (one edge, one toe, one axel type jump, and a jump combination. Quads aren't allowed) and three spins, a step sequence, and a "signature move".

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

evasorange

Final Flight
It seems I’m one of the few who just don’t have the energy to care about Alyssa. I mean I don’t want anything bad to happen to her and she seems sweet and is obviously talented but she won’t be senior for what two years? Her body is almost guaranteed to go through some big changes in these next two years. Sooo much could happen. It just seems so foolish for USA fed and others to pin ~the next greatest women skater on a child. Honestly as a adult I don’t like watching children complete. It just feels weird. I suppose it’s why I can never get into juniors. Anyways I hope she stays healthy and isn’t pressured by her team to go over the top with crazy jumps.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When was the last time Lori did a good program for a lady? Carolina Kostner?

Her best work these days are for the Chinese pairs. She seems dried out on inspiration when it comes to ladies skaters.

Her work with Mao Asada in Mao's last season was inspired.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think Lori is capable of inspired work, when she is inspired by the skater(s).

It doesn’t seem likely that would be the case here, Alysa is so young.

katymay

Medalist
I think Lori is capable of inspired work, when she is inspired by the skater(s).

It doesn’t seem likely that would be the case here, Alysa is so young.

I'm too lazy to look up who did Alysa's program last year (Witches of Eastwick FS), but I thought it was genius. Perfect music, and the choreography accentuated her positive skills (almost everything)-using multiple transitions- and managed to hide her weak spot (back crossovers, speed). In fact, I think she she should just recycle that program this year-why not?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I'm too lazy to look up who did Alysa's program last year (Witches of Eastwick FS), but I thought it was genius. Perfect music, and the choreography accentuated her positive skills (almost everything)-using multiple transitions- and managed to hide her weak spot (back crossovers, speed). In fact, I think she she should just recycle that program this year-why not?

It was done by Cindy Stuart

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Also Hanna’s was posted. https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144287254829047808?s=21
Only mistake was a popped 3sal in a sequence and some lost levels, all pos GOE! I’m excited for Hanna, I think she has such a flare to her skating. She is fast and has lots of expression, I know she needs to work on edge quality etc. and her lp will be a challenge because it’s very lyrical...but overall, I think she COULD surprise us on the JGP. I think her short will be awesome based on what we have seen so far.

Sara’s was posted as well https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144288495822921728?s=21 , I have never watched her skate but her components are low.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Also Hanna’s was posted. https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144287254829047808?s=21
Only mistake was a popped 3sal in a sequence and some lost levels, all pos GOE! I’m excited for Hanna, I think she has such a flare to her skating. She is fast and has lots of expression, I know she needs to work on edge quality etc. and her lp will be a challenge because it’s very lyrical...but overall, I think she COULD surprise us on the JGP. I think her short will be awesome based on what we have seen so far.

Sara’s was posted as well https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144288495822921728?s=21 , I have never watched her skate but her components are low.

LSp1 and Violation on her other spin. Ouch. The new rules are if a spin as a V it doesn't count. So hope they work on that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
here is the link-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMPBuLnlN8/

landing on the axel was shaky, but the fact she pulled off a good 3S following says a lot about her physical strength.

This is good news. So happy. But to be fair that suggests (these comments) she was far from ready last november. The idea her double lutz double toe was just a pop suggests really a triple lutz triple toe was not really even a realistic hope.

frida80

Record Breaker
Alysa's SP. I like it.

edit: already posted.

On Slow-mo the axel looks clean the combo does not. She needs to work on that as there is no 3A in the SP. It's along the same vein as Don't Rain on My Parade, fun and cute. I can see new choregraphical elements to give her a more sophisticated program. I think I would've used the version with lyrics instead, it would've given it more personality.