2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
This is good news. So happy. But to be fair that suggests (these comments) she was far from ready last november. The idea her double lutz double toe was just a pop suggests really a triple lutz triple toe was not really even a realistic hope.

I still have no idea why she bothered to waste her injured athlete bye last year to go over to Russia and bomb. You could see she was not ready in the least to compete at any sort of competitive level. I'm really happy to see her improvement over the last six months. I probably wouldn't want to see her on the GP, though I guess the only way now would be the host pick at SkAm. I'm looking forward to enjoying her continued progress this season.

frida80

Record Breaker
I never thought I see a a club competition with two ladies with triple axels. last year it only happened three times internationally. Yikes have changed.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I still have no idea why she bothered to waste her injured athlete bye last year to go over to Russia and bomb. You could see she was not ready in the least to compete at any sort of competitive level. I'm really happy to see her improvement over the last six months. I probably wouldn't want to see her on the GP, though I guess the only way now would be the host pick at SkAm. I'm looking forward to enjoying her continued progress this season.

Because you have to decide in August and even if you WD you've used your bye. She clearly thought she would be ready. By November, she really didn't have a choice. going or not going didn't make a difference.

tosca

On the Ice
I really love Karen Chen’s SP. not going to lie, I have never been the biggest fan (never disliked either) but I’m into her after watching her short

Happy Skates

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5cM6CzSSj4

Apparently Alysa did an exhibition of what her junior short would look like, separate from her competition senior short that was posted.

It looks like they're going all out with the 3A+3T combo! Risky, but it gets around the no 3A for your axel jump in a junior short rule. She's going the Mao route and using it as a combo! Again, very risky but I doubt anyone else in the junior field will do this, so it will pay off if she can land it. But she not only has to land the 3A, but tack on a 3T on the end of it. Just doing a 2T will take away most of the benefit of doing the 3A, as the combo will be worth similar to what a 3Lz+3t is.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I doubt she'll attempt 3A3T in the SP because if she falls on the 3A she loses the entire combo. Unlike in seniors where if she falls on the 3A she loses just the solo jump.

frida80

Record Breaker

Apparently Alysa did an exhibition of what her junior short would look like, separate from her competition senior short that was posted.

It looks like they're going all out with the 3A+3T combo! Risky, but it gets around the no 3A for your axel jump in a junior short rule. She's going the Mao route and using it as a combo! Again, very risky but I doubt anyone else in the junior field will do this, so it will pay off if she can land it. But she not only has to land the 3A, but tack on a 3T on the end of it. Just doing a 2T will take away most of the benefit of doing the 3A, as the combo will be worth similar to what a 3Lz+3t is.

Wait is that allowed? I know that a boy did a 3A in combo in novice, where the 2A was the required axel jump. They better make sure this is allowed, otherwise the entire combo would be invalid.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Wait is that allowed? I know that a boy did a 3A in combo in novice, where the 2A was the required axel jump. They better make sure this is allowed, otherwise the entire combo would be invalid.

The rules just say that you need a double axel, and a triple-triple or triple-double combo. No rule against 3A being the first jump in that combo. Super risky, but allowed.

zebobes

Final Flight
I doubt she'll attempt 3A3T in the SP because if she falls on the 3A she loses the entire combo. Unlike in seniors where if she falls on the 3A she loses just the solo jump.

I don't know, they might think it's worth it for her to get used to putting the 3A in the short while still in juniors, so that when she gets to Seniors, it's old hat and easy. The fact that she's putting it out there shows they are seriously considering as an option. Since Alysa's components aren't quite up to par with some of the top Russian juniors, if she lands it, it would be a way to get a head start in the SP, where usually the tech is virtually identical between the top competitors.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I'm stressed now :laugh:

skatenewbie

Medalist
I don't know, they might think it's worth it for her to get used to putting the 3A in the short while still in juniors, so that when she gets to Seniors, it's old hat and easy. The fact that she's putting it out there shows they are seriously considering as an option. Since Alysa's components aren't quite up to par with some of the top Russian juniors, if she lands it, it would be a way to get a head start in the SP, where usually the tech is virtually identical between the top competitors.
the lead that she got might not really worth it since its only around 2 points. And the other girls could match that up easily in PCS part or with GOE from jump + spin + steps. it can make up just 2 point.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
the lead that she got might not really worth it since its only around 2 points. And the other girls could match that up easily in PCS part or with GOE from jump + spin + steps. it can make up just 2 point.

They may not. Based on what we've seen from Alysa, I think she goes for it. She can do that 3A2T pretty consistently. Seems like if it doesn't actually lose her anything to do that, then doing at least that would be up her ally. (She sometimes loses rotation points on her triple lutz/loop combo).

Alysa has very nice spins. I don't think a lot of people will make up GOE on her with those.

skatenewbie

Medalist
They may not. Based on what we've seen from Alysa, I think she goes for it. She can do that 3A2T pretty consistently. Seems like if it doesn't actually lose her anything to do that, then doing at least that would be up her ally. (She sometimes loses rotation points on her triple lutz/loop combo).

Alysa has very nice spins. I don't think a lot of people will make up GOE on her with those.
do you mean 3A+2T or 3A+3T? because if she did 3A+2T she's actually losing points here. 3A+2T BV is 0.3 points less than 3Lz+3T (im assuming next season solo jump for junior is 3Lo). Im not saying her spin is bad, its not. but few top girls from other country like Russia/Japan have better spins than her and can have higher GOE overall.

mrrice

Record Breaker
So nice to see her skating healthy and confident. I hope we see her FS at Glacier Falls or Skate Detroit.

Her Speed, Ice Coverage, and Jumps have all returned. I'm so excited for her and the rest of the US ladies and they ALL seem to be improving. :yahoo:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
do you mean 3A+2T or 3A+3T? because if she did 3A+2T she's actually losing points here. 3A+2T BV is 0.3 points less than 3Lz+3T (im assuming next season solo jump for junior is 3Lo). Im not saying her spin is bad, its not. but few top girls from other country like Russia/Japan have better spins than her and can have higher GOE overall.

I mean that if she goes for the 3A3T, she gains points on the field.

If she pops into a 3A2T, which has been pretty consistent for her, her difficulty is still comparable to the other ladies. (And I'm not 100% sure a different triple-triple combo will bring in more points than even a popped 3A2T would for Alysa because she sometimes gets dinged there so not a clear case of clean versus not clean if she focuses on the non-triple axel combo. I do think her 3Lz+3T was pretty sound last year though. Hard to know what will happen in JGP competition because scores and calls will run tighter than most events she was allowed to compete in last season).

The choice to do the 3A in combination is high risk--and gutsy--because if she splats on the axel, she's got no combo. But I think she really was quite consistent on the 3A2T combo in her LP last year. Her odds of standing it up are quite good. I don't know what her odds are on the 3A3T. It's new. Maybe the numbers in practice aren't there. Impossible for us to know at this point. I can see her team maybe waiting to see how things go with a more traditional layout in her first JGP or possibly trying to qualify for the JGPF first, but I just have a feeling we'll see her go for the combo at some point. (If the Russian and/or Japanese ladies are going to bring in all the PCS and GOE that some people think anyway, then what does she have to lose? If that's the case, she'll need her jump points to hit the top two spots of the podium).

Regardless, it's great that to see that she has the option.