2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

andromache

Record Breaker
I strongly disagree that it is a good strategy for Alysa to be doing a 3A combo in the SP. It is EXTREMELY high risk in terms of her SP score, which will impact her LP starting order, and her PCS.

If she wants to follow the path of the Eteri girls then, IMO, the strategic competitive goal for the first half of the season should be to make the JGPF so she starts building her reputation internationally. A botched SP combo will really hurt her chances, much more than a botched LP combo.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I strongly disagree that it is a good strategy for Alysa to be doing a 3A combo in the SP. It is EXTREMELY high risk in terms of her SP score, which will impact her LP starting order, and her PCS.

If she wants to follow the path of the Eteri girls then, IMO, the strategic competitive goal for the first half of the season should be to make the JGPF so she starts building her reputation internationally. A botched SP combo will really hurt her chances, much more than a botched LP combo.

I agree. She's obviously going to be at a disadvantage on PCS because her SS and TR aren't as strong, but an error on the combo in the short will make it very, very difficult for her to recover in the FS. It wouldn't be a bad strategy at the second GP depending on how things go and the GPF when you can afford to go for broke a little, but I don't know if this should be the plan going in.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I saw the results for the short program. It was 1. Young You 2. Alysa

Where is Karen? I thought she also skated the short at this event.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I saw the results for the short program. It was 1. Young You 2. Alysa

Where is Karen? I thought she also skated the short at this event.

Karen and Amber Glenn did the SP only event! They aren't included on the score list you saw. I believe the same judges did the SP only event though, which would have put Karen in second overall (if she had competed in the combined event with Young and Alysa).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree, but I also think this could be a good season for her to take a bit more risk. She will still have another junior season to improve, and I don't really see her competing for the top of the Junior Worlds podium just yet anyway, mostly because of her lack of speed. But she does bury herself before the LP if she can't nail some type of 3-3 in the SP.

Zora

On the Ice
I doubt she'll attempt 3A3T in the SP because if she falls on the 3A she loses the entire combo. Unlike in seniors where if she falls on the 3A she loses just the solo jump.
But couldn't she still attempt a 3-3 combo and have only the axel invalidated? A double axel isn't worth that much though of course still a costly mistake.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
But couldn't she still attempt a 3-3 combo and have only the axel invalidated? A double axel isn't worth that much though of course still a costly mistake.
I mean I guess she could just swap the 2A for a 3+3 as her backup, yeah, and I think then the 3A pass would just be voided entirely.

But it seems like a pretty stressful backup plan to try and implement in competition.

ETA: speaking of Alyssa: https://mobile.twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144683238314536961

frida80

Record Breaker

No. The required solo jump is a 3Lo this year. If you miss the combo, that’s it.

That said, Alysa is very consistent. She doesn’t fall much in 3As anymore.

sheetz

Record Breaker

You mean, say, originally plan for

3A3T, 2A, 3Lo

But then change it to something like this after missing the 3A

3A(fall)*, 3Lz3T, 3Lo

In theory it could work but you'd have to change your choreography around to fit the new jump layout as well as make sure to warm up the 3Lz. At some point you have to consider how much more effort is it worth to gain those few extra points.

skatinggold

On the Ice
No. The required solo jump is a 3Lo this year. If you miss the combo, that’s it.

That said, Alysa is very consistent. She doesn’t fall much in 3As anymore.

She can still do the 3loop and a 3lutz-toe combo after falling on a 3 axel, just treat her 3axel attempt as the 2axel which will be invalidated.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Alysa attempted a layout like that last year at the Asian Games. She performed 3a-2t, 2a, and I forget her solo triple. She was clean on it, so we didn't know if she had a backup 3z-3t if she missed the axel. I agree that she doesn't need that kind of strategy. She really needs to work on her speed and stroking, and not obsess over jumps.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Can someone please tell me the music choices of Brynne McIssac and Sierra Venetta? They performed this week at Broadmoor Open.

frida80

Record Breaker
You mean, say, originally plan for

3A3T, 2A, 3Lo

But then change it to something like this after missing the 3A

3A(fall)*, 3Lz3T, 3Lo

In theory it could work but you'd have to change your choreography around to fit the new jump layout as well as make sure to warm up the 3Lz. At some point you have to consider how much more effort is it worth to gain those few extra points.

No. You have to have a 2A. The 3A can't sub for it. If she pops into a waxed, then she can add in a combo.

I don't understand it either... these rules for juniors are ridiculous.

katymay

Medalist
Alysa's free! Featuring: 3A-3T, 4Lz-2T, 4Lz, transitions into 3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8M2tJRSueU

Lovely music, really a perfect choice. Lovely choreography as well. She has a wonderful natural ability for jumps, lovely spins. As far as skating skills, for the most part she has wonderful skating skills. It really is just one small thing that drives me crazy-back crossovers. It seems to me that she has a wonderful coaching team, I can't figure out why they haven't worked on this issue. (Do they still have power skating/stroke clinics?). She almost steps over like a beginner.(Instead of getting any sort of speed and power).

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Alysa's free! Featuring: 3A-3T, 4Lz-2T, 4Lz, transitions into 3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8M2tJRSueU

Looks better than when we saw it a few days ago. Her 3A is really good, love the transitions into the first one! Both 4Lz look better, but it's still pretty problematic. Hopefully they'll keep working on in and then only leave one in when the season starts. I like the program a decent amount but it's nothing groundbreaking. I think Alysa has better musicality, positions, and performance quality than this program allows, but it still gets the job done and it could grow throughout the season. I think her triples keep getting better. Her spins look good too. The #1 thing she needs to work on (imo) is her speed and some of her edgework.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I don't think Alysa is allowed to do the 3A in juniors in the sp.