2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Ginask8s

On the Ice
KarenChen looked beautiful. Her spiral is like Sasha Cohen's MichelleKwans and Nicolle Bobeks! I hope she has a great year!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Just a quick note on the US ladies who competed at the Peggy Fleming Trophy last night. This is a fairly new competition held in conjunction with Broadmoor Open, with an emphasis on artistry and a combined field of men and ladies. More than half the competitors were Team USA members, so the level of skating and readiness was quite high for a June club competition. And although the rules are different than IJS (among other things, quads are not allowed), at least three of the judges were ISU international judges. The three medalists were Jason Brown, Andrew Torgashev, and Karen Chen.

Karen looks back in form and she did really well. I generally liked her program, her jumps and skating looked pretty solid, and her spiral was gorgeous!

My favorite of the ladies was Ting. She is just a gorgeous skater - lovely flow and beautiful use of her body. For those who are curious, yes she was with Tom Z, yes she was jumping, and to me her jumps looked fine. I’m not quite sure why she placed so low.

Of the other Team USA ladies, Hanna Harrell had strong jumps; she has matured since last year, but still looks a bit junior-ish in this field. Amber skated first and actually looked quite good. Courtney was okay, but her jumps were a little wonky and this competition is probably not ideal to showcase her. There was no one at the boards with her (FYI, this was true for a lot of the skaters) so the mystery of who her coach is remains. I expected Mariah to shine and probably to medal here, but her jumps weren’t as solid as they could have been and her skating overall just didn’t have a lot of impact.

I want to give a special shout out to Sonja Hilmer, who placed fifth, just ahead of Mariah. She doesn’t have the jumps to compete internationally, but her program and skating were beautiful, creative, and compelling, and I’m glad the judges recognized and rewarded her.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Just a quick note on the US ladies who competed at the Peggy Fleming Trophy last night. This is a fairly new competition held in conjunction with Broadmoor Open, with an emphasis on artistry and a combined field of men and ladies. More than half the competitors were Team USA members, so the level of skating and readiness was quite high for a June club competition. And although the rules are different than IJS (among other things, quads are not allowed), at least three of the judges were ISU international judges. The three medalists were Jason Brown, Andrew Torgashev, and Karen Chen.

Karen looks back in form and she did really well. I generally liked her program, her jumps and skating looked pretty solid, and her spiral was gorgeous!

My favorite of the ladies was Ting. She is just a gorgeous skater - lovely flow and beautiful use of her body. For those who are curious, yes she was with Tom Z, yes she was jumping, and to me her jumps looked fine. I’m not quite sure why she placed so low.

Of the other Team USA ladies, Hanna Harrell had strong jumps; she has matured since last year, but still looks a bit junior-ish in this field. Amber skated first and actually looked quite good. Courtney was okay, but her jumps were a little wonky and this competition is probably not ideal to showcase her. There was no one at the boards with her (FYI, this was true for a lot of the skaters) so the mystery of who her coach is remains. I expected Mariah to shine and probably to medal here, but her jumps weren’t as solid as they could have been and her skating overall just didn’t have a lot of impact.

I want to give a special shout out to Sonja Hilmer, who placed fifth, just ahead of Mariah. She doesn’t have the jumps to compete internationally, but her program and skating were beautiful, creative, and compelling, and I’m glad the judges recognized and rewarded her.

What jumps did Ting do? Thanks for the report on everyone!! Also what music did ting use, if you know?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m really sorry but all I can tell you is that she did some triples and a 2A. Her combo may have been a triple double, not a triple triple (that was pretty common in this comp even from the Team USA skaters). The music was lyrical and instrumental, and I think mainly violin, but I wasn’t familiar with it.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I’m really sorry but all I can tell you is that she did some triples and a 2A. Her combo may have been a triple double, not a triple triple (that was pretty common in this comp even from the Team USA skaters). The music was lyrical and instrumental, and I think mainly violin, but I wasn’t familiar with it.

No problem, thank you!!

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa managed to finally land a rotated 4Lz (I think?) and her lines and musicality have really improved. Best of luck. Hanna was having a hard time adjusting after a stellar Free from a few days back, but I hope this puts the fire in her to strive towards her best. Also, I think they're going for the same layout as last year and will not be including any quads or 3A's. This decision can either be a good or bad thing if she just wants some JP medals, but not so much if her goal is to make it to the JPF or podium at JW.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Jeez, what a field! Didn't Camden also skate here?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jeez, what a field! Didn't Camden also skate here?

Yes he did. The event was heavily Team USA. I posted a very brief review of the men in the US men’s thread. I think he placed seventh. I believe there’s a video of his program floating around.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Alysa Liu won the Aerial Challenge, completing back to back 4Lz and 4Lz/2T in the championship round (all 10s from the judges).

natsulian

Final Flight
Aerial Figure Skating Challenge:
1. Alysa Liu - Liu fell on her initial 4Lz quite terribly (fell body down on the ice, it was scary to watch... she got up like it was nothing), but used her re-try and landed a 4Lz and a 4Lz+2T
2. Sarah Jung - Landed 2 3A's
3. Noella Rose - Landed a downgraded 3A

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
1. Alysa Liu - Liu fell on her initial 4Lz quite terribly (fell body down on the ice, it was scary to watch... she got up like it was nothing), but used her re-try and landed a 4Lz and a 4Lz+2T

Wooooooow

andromache

Record Breaker
Any idea of the rotation on the jumps being reported? Do we know if they were actually fully rotated?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Alysa Liu: in extra strength beast mode. She didn’t just come to play, she came to slayyyyy.

Seriously. Mad respect. :bow:

natsulian

Final Flight
Ting Cui’s performance at the Peggy competition:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzThJaOJesG/?igshid=l9v3s3mi9ft4

Ting’s jumps look a little shaky, but due to her past with troubled jumps, I’m not sure if it’s due to injury or nerves. Her shortened Free is simply STELLAR and I cannot wait to see how she does once she’s fully recovered.

Also, here’s a video of her thanking her fans:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzT5oqBHwMS/?igshid=jw28bt9se7f5

Key statement is, “AFTER recovering from my injury”, which probably entails that she’s ready to jump harder triples and really get back on the ice. Best of luck to her.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Ting Cui’s performance at the Peggy competition:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzThJaOJesG/?igshid=l9v3s3mi9ft4

Ting’s jumps look a little shaky, but due to her past with troubled jumps, I’m not sure if it’s due to injury or nerves. Her shortened Free is simply STELLAR and I cannot wait to see how she does once she’s fully recovered.

Also, here’s a video of her thanking her fans:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzT5oqBHwMS/?igshid=jw28bt9se7f5

Key statement is, “AFTER recovering from my injury”, which probably entails that she’s ready to jump harder triples and really get back on the ice. Best of luck to her.

Oh my heck this is gorgeous :love:. Clearly she is just getting back out there, but her first GP is in November so hopefully she'll get back up to speed by then. In jumping of course, everything else looks lovely. And I really hope she keeps that layback spin in, even though she'll need to put more levels in and she usually does her layback in a combo spin. But this program is simply gorgeous, the choreo is great and she is just so good. I didn't think I could get more excited about her!

natsulian

Final Flight
Ting has been injured for about three months now, so she’s been in recovery mode and only started choreography in May. Thus, we can probably deduce that if she can already do triples, she’s recovered quite a bit (or that’s my hopeful thinking at least). A high ankle injury, which is what was reported, takes around 6 weeks to 3 months and Ting has until November, so about five months. Moreover, as long as she’s not being drilled crazily, I think she’ll recover fine.