2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 182 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

halulupu

Final Flight
Based on attendance at figure skating events, I must disagree. Ladies is the one with the best attendance. I still don’t understand how they draw more than the men. But they do.
Because men who do fs are still considered feminine, weakish, probably gay, not real men... otherwise they would choose to play icehockey.

skatemom0810

Rinkside
I don’t think figure skating fans, especially the ones who are purchasing tickets to events like Nationals, feel that way about men’s skating. There was a stark contrast in attendance at the women’s and men’s events last year and I don’t think homophobia was the cause.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think there is a difference in attitudes and preferences among the population of fans who would buy tickets to a days-long event, or check in at forums like this one on a regular basis, vs. fans who might turn on the television to a skating competition if it's convenient.

The scheduling of televised events is more likely to be built around the interests of the latter, much larger, population.

And people who might buy ticket to a single session at Nationals if it happens to be held nearby might be closer in average interest to the TV-only group.

That said:
I told my boss yesterday that I'd be going to Nationals on my vacation this week. She asked if it would be on TV next weekend. I offered to send her the TV schedule. She said she might watch with her tween sons. I told her the current ladies' champ is 14 so they might be interested because she's closer to their age, and does quads. I also her the current US men's champion is also world champion and does lots of quads. That there's a lot more to skating besides the jumps, but that's probably what her kids would be most interested in.

When I looked at the TV schedules, it was clear that the timing of the men's events is actually more friendly to casual viewing with kids.

halulupu

Final Flight
I don’t think figure skating fans, especially the ones who are purchasing tickets to events like Nationals, feel that way about men’s skating. There was a stark contrast in attendance at the women’s and men’s events last year and I don’t think homophobia was the cause.

for the real fans, who are following fs actively I believe u are right. but for the large public there is still a lot of homophobic thinking towards men fs.
ATM americas men have a real star with chen and no real ladies star (besides child liu). but still men fs doesn't draw much attention.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Alysa Liu debuts a new dress and choreography for her Short program: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7dymW5JptK/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Alysa is adorable! Junior competitions are so far apart that every time we see her perform, she improves so much. Her skating and performance skills aren't world-beaters, but it's very clear that her team is prioritizing her development as a performer, which is great to see. A lot of ladies skaters with powerful jumps fall into the category of just trying to improve their jumps and it's clear that they put less time into developing their performances, but I think that Alysa's team is very aware that she needs improvement in her skating skills and performance quality above all else, which is something they are working hard on.

I'm so excited to watch her skate at Nationals!

crazydreamer

On the Ice
for the real fans, who are following fs actively I believe u are right. but for the large public there is still a lot of homophobic thinking towards men fs.
ATM americas men have a real star with chen and no real ladies star (besides child liu). but still men fs doesn't draw much attention.
I think competitiveness is also a big factor. Chen is great but he has basically zero competition in the US and really only one competitor internationally.

natsulian

Final Flight
With the first half of the 2019-2020 season having ended and the 2020 US Figure Skating Championships beginning on January 21, let us venture down a lane of statistics...

Top 100 Ladies' World Standings
6. Bradie Tennell
9. Mariah Bell
22. Starr Andrews
37. Ting Cui
40. Karen Chen
45. Amber Glenn
60. Gabriella Izzo
67. Courtney Hicks
70. Hanna Harrell
90. Megan Wessenberg

*Used to give international assignments

Top 100 Ladies' World Ranking for the 2019-2020 Season
9. Bradie Tennell
11. Mariah Bell
14. Starr Andrews
23. Amber Glenn
27. Karen Chen
31. Alysa Liu
42. Gabriella Izzo
64. Hanna Harrell
70. Megan Wessenberg
71. Isabelle Inthisone
80. Emily Zhang
82. Ting Cui

Highest Total Program Scores: Top 10 US Ladies
10. Bradie Tennell, 216.14 (Skate America)
12. Mariah Bell, 212.89 (Grand Prix France)
14. Alysa Liu, 208.10 (Junior Grand Prix Lake Placid)
32. Amber Glenn, 186.28 (US Classic)
41. Starr Andrews, 181.18 (Lombardia Trophy)
50. Ting Cui, 177.47 (US Classic)
52. Audrey Shin, 176.67 (Winter Youth Olympics)
52. Karen Chen, 173.66 (Autumn Classic)
59. Gabriella Izzo, 169.75 (Asian Open Trophy)
62. Isabelle Inthisone, 167.47 (Junior Grand Prix Egna)

Medals at Challenger and Junior/Senior Grand Prix Events
- Amber Glenn: 3rd at US Classic
- Mariah Bell: 1st at Nebelhorn, 3rd at Grand Prix France, and 3rd at Rostelecom Cup
- Gabriella Izzo: 3rd at Asian Open Trophy
- Bradie Tennell: 2nd at Skate America, 2nd at Warsaw Cup, and a trip to the Grand Prix Final
- Alysa Liu: 1st at Lake Placid, 1st at Gdansk, and 2nd at the Grand Prix Final in Italy

Best of luck to our ladies as they compete to make history in Greensboro, North Carolina.

natsulian

Final Flight
What kind of history could any of them make in Greensboro, Natsulian?

The very opportunity of being at Nationals could be monumentally historic for each lady, all for different reasons. Furthermore, Alysa Liu could become the very first US lady to land a quad at Nationals let alone a quad AND 3As. Gracie Gold making a comeback on the national stage is historic and could set her up for a second lease on her international skating career. Isabeau Levito could potentially earn the highest Junior ladies’ total program score and best the record held by Amber Glenn. Mia Kalin could become the first Junior lady to land a quad at Nationals.

Olympic

On the Ice
With the first half of the 2019-2020 season having ended and the 2020 US Figure Skating Championships beginning on January 21, let us venture down a lane of statistics...

6. Bradie Tennell
9. Mariah Bell
22. Starr Andrews
37. Ting Cui
40. Karen Chen
45. Amber Glenn
60. Gabriella Izzo
67. Courtney Hicks
70. Hanna Harrell
90. Megan Wessenberg

9. Bradie Tennell
11. Mariah Bell
14. Starr Andrews
23. Amber Glenn
27. Karen Chen
31. Alysa Liu
42. Gabriella Izzo
64. Hanna Harrell
70. Megan Wessenberg
71. Isabelle Inthisone
80. Emily Zhang
82. Ting Cui

- Mariah Bell: 1st at Nebelhorn, 3rd at Grand Prix France, and 3rd at Rostelecom Cup
- Bradie Tennell: 2nd at Skate America, 2nd at Warsaw Cup, and a trip to the Grand Prix Final
- Alysa Liu: 1st at Lake Placid, 1st at Gdansk, and 2nd at the Grand Prix Final in Italy

Best of luck to our ladies as they compete to make history in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The standings are a little deceiving when you consider them for 2020 Worlds. A few of the higher scores above Bradie are from Russian skaters who will not be at Worlds.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside

6. Bradie Tennell
9. Mariah Bell
22. Starr Andrews
37. Ting Cui
40. Karen Chen
45. Amber Glenn
60. Gabriella Izzo
67. Courtney Hicks
70. Hanna Harrell
90. Megan Wessenberg

9. Bradie Tennell
11. Mariah Bell
14. Starr Andrews
23. Amber Glenn
27. Karen Chen
31. Alysa Liu
42. Gabriella Izzo
64. Hanna Harrell
70. Megan Wessenberg
71. Isabelle Inthisone
80. Emily Zhang
82. Ting Cui

Natsulian, what is your point for listing all these ladies name? Everyone knows where these skaters stand.

natsulian

Final Flight
Natsulian, what is your point for listing all these ladies name? Everyone knows where these skaters stand.

A lot of people don’t look at the scores or standings regularly and sometimes don’t know so I wanted to compile everything in one spot. Plus, it’s a good way to look, statistically speaking, at where our ladies stand half way through the season. :D

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of people don’t look at the scores or standings regularly and sometimes don’t know so I wanted to compile everything in one spot. Plus, it’s a good way to look, statistically speaking, at where our ladies stand half way through the season. :D

Thank you for doing that. It's something I don't think about very often, and it's interesting to see. It will help me gauge who is under/over performing.

I think competitiveness is also a big factor. Chen is great but he has basically zero competition in the US and really only one competitor internationally.

But then, too, it could go the other way. It is also cool to see a super champion whup up on the opposition. Like, everyone wanted to see Usain Bolt run, even though he had no real competition.

What kind of history could any of (the ladies) make in Greensboro, Natsulian?

They could become U.S. National Figure Skating Champion! :yes: Something to put in the history books (or at least the almanac). Something to tell your grandchildren about one day! :rock: