2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 183 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It may have something to do with the notion that figure skating is a more of a "feminine" sport (vs. masculine sport like hockey and football), and when people think of figure skating, they think of pretty ballerina.
Many people don't consider figure skating a sport, because of the artistic aspect and subjective scoring.
In addition, the majority of figure skating fans especially those attend competitions are females. It is naturally easier for ladies to appreciate ladies.

Based on attendance at figure skating events, I must disagree. Ladies is the one with the best attendance. I still don’t understand how they draw more than the men. But they do.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
does anyone know if a live scoring page will be available again for nationals? not the ones with the scores and the protocols, but the one where it shows the elements being scored in real time. i remember that they did that for the 2017 and 2018 nationals, but not last year

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Thanks for the summary Natsulian! It's great to have all the information in one concise post.

Plus I had no idea of their rankings so it's good to finally know 😅

princessalica

Final Flight
does anyone know if a live scoring page will be available again for nationals? not the ones with the scores and the protocols, but the one where it shows the elements being scored in real time. i remember that they did that for the 2017 and 2018 nationals, but not last year

I hope so. I was disappointed that they didn’t offer that last year.

ribbit

On the Ice
A lot of people don’t look at the scores or standings regularly and sometimes don’t know so I wanted to compile everything in one spot. Plus, it’s a good way to look, statistically speaking, at where our ladies stand half way through the season. :D

Add me to the list of folks who appreciate your taking the time and trouble to compile these statistics and find it interesting to look at this halfway-point snapshot! :thank:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Recent article on Alysa Liu and the pressure (or the lack thereof) of being a defending champion written by Phil Hersh: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020...l-championship/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Alysa also talks about the possibility of doing two 4Lz and one 4S next season.

Such a wonderful article that gives great insight into Alysa. I hope that she doesn't push herself too much with the quad jumps and that she's focusing on her skating skills and performance. Her technical arsenal is already quite strong, but as of now, she's relying heavily on the base value of the jumps since she's been getting middling GOE. I think that strengthening her current jumps and working on performance would do more good than trying to add even more quads. Still, I look forward to seeing her perform at Nationals, and it's awesome to see how much she enjoys skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such a wonderful article that gives great insight into Alysa. I hope that she doesn't push herself too much with the quad jumps and that she's focusing on her skating skills and performance. Her technical arsenal is already quite strong, but as of now, she's relying heavily on the base value of the jumps since she's been getting middling GOE. I think that strengthening her current jumps and working on performance would do more good than trying to add even more quads. Still, I look forward to seeing her perform at Nationals, and it's awesome to see how much she enjoys skating.

Granted I don't follow junior skaters closely, but I did watch an earlier junior GP performance of hers.

While she's certainly no Michelle Kwan, it was obvious to me that she has made strides in performance. It was good to see.

I still think all these little girls skate like little girls, but it was a sign that she's aware of where she needs to improve.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It may have something to do with the notion that figure skating is a more of a "feminine" sport (vs. masculine sport like hockey and football), and when people think of figure skating, they think of pretty ballerina.
Many people don't consider figure skating a sport, because of the artistic aspect and subjective scoring.
In addition, the majority of figure skating fans especially those attend competitions are females. It is naturally easier for ladies to appreciate ladies.

Ahem...I appreciate the men much more than the ladies (always have), and my absolute favourites are the pairs which to me is the best of everything: jumps, dance and the formidable pair elements like the twist. And I'm female.

ribbit

On the Ice
Kind of a humorous way of putting it, if you think about it. They don't skate, for instance, like koalas or geckos. ;)

That sounds like a classic drama/improv exercise: "Walk like a giraffe! Now walk like a gorilla!" Maybe it could be a fun way of thinking about expression and characterization through movement: "Skate like a koala! Now skate like a gecko!" :biggrin:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
One of Alysa's strengths is she's such a natural performer and entertainer. Whilst she still needs to work on the skating skills she's lucky that she's just got that very razzle dazzle air about her naturally.

I also love the programs they pick for her. Age appropriate and personality appropriate. No headclutching, tragic overwrought programs.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kind of a humorous way of putting it, if you think about it. They don't skate, for instance, like koalas or geckos. ;)

You get what I'm saying. :laugh:

I roll my eyes when people ooh and aah over the "artistry" of the youngsters.

"Wow! She can play the Minute Waltz in 45 seconds! That's gotta be a world record!"

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
Does anybody have a detailed schedule for the US championships? All i can find is the start times of the events and I would like to see a schedule with practice times too. Thanks!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No matter what happens in competition, Gracie deserves so much admiration for making it this far. It’s been pretty amazing to watch her improvement.