2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 214 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tiny jumps? In proportion to Alysa’s body, her jumps are not small. Maybe a little average but definitely not small. Not everyone can be a Gracie Gold or Tonya Harding. Look at [her] 3A+2T combo from Nationals and despite her lack of speed, the distance and height she covers is decent. Nothing to write home about but not small either. I don’t understand why this narrative that Alysa has TINY jumps is still lingering when her jumps have been steadily improving. The only “tiny” jump Alysa still executes is the 3Lo.

But the elephant in the room isn't about how Alysa is jumping now, it's how she will be jumping with all the growth and body changes over the next two years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the point is that she would still be a favorite to make the Olympic team, when it's been suggested that she would be less likely to than either Gracie or Ting.

Personally, I don't believe Alysa will be able to consistently beat the top Russians, but that's a separate issue.

If Alysa makes the Olympic team in 2022 and still has her 3As and quad, she will be one of the top ladies in the world.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If Alysa makes the Olympic team in 2022 and still has her 3As and quad, she will be one of the top ladies in the world.

Exactly. Also, even without a quad ( Like Mao and Tonya, I think she'll keep her 3A ) she will still be in contention to be the top US lady. Are there any Juniors on the horizon that can match her technically?

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Alysa is not even close to 5'. She will not only grow taller, but inevitably, her body will change---and it's the bodily changes which impact the jumps most.

I don’t know, she’s 14.5 years old. I don’t see her growing more than 1-2 inches at most. The Russians seem to adhere to severe calorie restrictions during the season and then experience growth and weight gain in the off season. If Alysa is getting proper nutritional advice from a professional I really don’t see her gaining more than 5 pounds before the olympics given her petite under 5 foot frame can allow her to be a healthy adult weight that is still very light. If she was still 13 with a later birthday I’d be more worried.

natsulian

Final Flight
Not a junior internationally but in terms of consistency with high technical content, Isabeau Levito is amazing. Isabeau will be a junior next year. Isabeau is also learning a 3A.

Mia will be eligible in two seasons and she has a 3A and 4S< . Mia has not attempted the 3A on ice but she ditched her 4S attempt at Junior Nationals.

Lindsay Thorngren, Kate Wang, Isabelle Inthisone, and a few other junior ladies are consistent but don’t have the technical firepower. All are learning 3As or the 4T.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don’t know, she’s 14.5 years old. I don’t see her growing more than 1-2 inches at most. The Russians seem to adhere to severe calorie restrictions during the season and then experience growth and weight gain in the off season. If Alysa is getting proper nutritional advice from a professional I really don’t see her gaining more than 5 pounds before the olympics given her petite under 5 foot frame can allow her to be a healthy adult weight that is still very light. If she was still 13 with a later birthday I’d be more worried.

I think you might be right in this case but not if the skater was a different ethnicity and such which might affect the genetics. She might gain more than 5 lbs though before the next Olympics. Alysa's body type might be what gets her on the podium come Beijing- maybe even gold. The Russian ladies/girls are more prone to major growth spurts.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think you might be right in this case but not if the skater was a different ethnicity and such which might affect the genetics. She might gain more than 5 lbs though before the next Olympics. Alysa's body type might be what gets her on the podium come Beijing- maybe even gold. The Russian ladies/girls are more prone to major growth spurts.

Given the number of Russian women doing quads, I think there will be strong jumpers from that country at the Olympics who will give Alysa serious competition. It's also unlikely that the top 3 Russians will be the top 3 in 2022, simply because at least one will likely struggle with growth spurts, as you said.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I don't get the constant naysaying about Alysa's jumps.

Are we supposed to feel more comforted if she was this tiny size but had no consistent triples? Would that be better because we can then bank on her miraculously accumulating consistent high value jumps once she has grown full size?

Of course she can lose her jumps but I think her current trajectory is pretty much spot on in terms of making most of her chances to medal at the Olympics.

Alysa came second in the JGP against Kamila who is quite the prodigy. She is considered one of the threats at Junior Worlds. That's where I would want to be if I had hopes for an Olympic medal. She really couldn't be on a better path than this.

natsulian

Final Flight
Speculations about Alysa’s height, weight, and general body development are unwarranted. None of us are informed enough to truly say whether or not Alysa will grow enough to lose her jumps or be lucky enough to keep them. There exists an infinite amount of possibilities when it comes to discussing body development due to the huge role genetics play and time, in the end, will either be our friend or foe and we simply have to see it through to the end. Let us hope that it will end up being the former.

b-man

Final Flight
At that time, we had a skater place 4th in the World six months before and another winning the WSM the previous season. Certainly Karen and Ashley didn't maintain that form, but nothing guarantees Alysa, Bradie, or Mariah will either.

Well, Ashley maintained her form until about age 25, pretty impressive. Bradie is 22 and Mariah 23. Both look better than ever. They have not hit a plateau or leveled off, they are still getting better, and both are in great shape

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^^
In the team event, the same entrant couldn’t be used in more than 2 disciplines. For the U.S., that was pairs & dance. So Nathan couldn’t have been used twice unless the Shibs were used only once. (IIRC, the U.S. had only one pairs spot, so the Knierims had to be used twice.) Really, the Shibs were much more likely to get 2 high rankings than anyone in U.S. men or ladies.

Not a junior internationally but in terms of consistency with high technical content, Isabeau Levito is amazing. Isabeau will be a junior next year. Isabeau is also learning a 3A.

Mia will be eligible in two seasons and she has a 3A and 4S< . Mia has not attempted the 3A on ice but she ditched her 4S attempt at Junior Nationals.

Lindsay Thorngren, Kate Wang, Isabelle Inthisone, and a few other junior ladies are consistent but don’t have the technical firepower. All are learning 3As or the 4T.

If she has not attempted the 3A on ice, then she doesn't have one? I'm confused by what you mean here.

natsulian

Final Flight
If she has not attempted the 3A on ice, then she doesn't have one? I'm confused by what you mean here.

The reason why I said she “has” it is because on her Instagram stories a few months ago, she talked about trying/landing 3A and 4S before Junior Nationals but we don’t have any videos.

katymay

Medalist
I don't get the constant naysaying about Alysa's jumps.

Are we supposed to feel more comforted if she was this tiny size but had no consistent triples? Would that be better because we can then bank on her miraculously accumulating consistent high value jumps once she has grown full size?

Of course she can lose her jumps but I think her current trajectory is pretty much spot on in terms of making most of her chances to medal at the Olympics.

Alysa came second in the JGP against Kamila who is quite the prodigy. She is considered one of the threats at Junior Worlds. That's where I would want to be if I had hopes for an Olympic medal. She really couldn't be on a better path than this.

I think the stars have aligned for Alysa. She will come of age at a perfect time for the Olympics. Only that. It really is about having a lucky birthdate. By the time the Olympics rolls around I expect an awful lot of quads and 3A's from Korea, Japan, China and of course Russia. There is really no way to know who will have been able to hang in there and who will no longer be a medal threat. Right now I would bet money on Young You, with the 3A and the spectacular 4loop and lutz for an Olympic medal.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speculations about Alysa’s height, weight, and general body development are unwarranted. None of us are informed enough to truly say whether or not Alysa will grow enough to lose her jumps or be lucky enough to keep them. There exists an infinite amount of possibilities when it comes to discussing body development due to the huge role genetics play and time, in the end, will either be our friend or foe and we simply have to see it through to the end. Let us hope that it will end up being the former.

I agree. Take Michelle Kwan. I think she had problems with her growth in 1997 although she still skated well enough to win a World Medal that year. I have never seen Alysa's Parents however, if they're anything like Michelle's, I think she'll be fine. Ii guess we'll all have to watch and see how it goes.

bytheriver

On the Ice

I think given skaters’ historical issues with food and weight, it’s dangerous to suggest that Alysa will be the exact same weight in 5 years (give or take 5 pounds). Yes, she’s an elite athlete, but she’s also a young lady and she will go through bodily changes like everyone else. Mirai at 14 looks different than Mirai at 16, 17, and 18. And that’s fine. Skaters go through delayed puberty and develop differently over time.

Not bashing you personally, but as someone who also grew up in an aesthetic sport I see “I don’t really see her gaining more than 5 pounds before the Olympics” as being incredibly an triggering and potentially dangerous mindset for someone going through a natural part of human development.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa is not done growing. We really don't know anything beyond that. What I find encouraging is that she's working hard to improve other areas (speed, transitions, etc.) so she isn't totally reliant on the harder jumps to do well in competitions. Even if she's doing just 3-3s and jumps through the 3Lz by 2022, she will still be in the mix domestically if she keeps improving all aspects of her skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. Take Michelle Kwan. I think she had problems with her growth in 1997 although she still skated well enough to win a World Medal that year. I have never seen Alysa's Parents however, if they're anything like Michelle's, I think she'll be fine. Ii guess we'll all have to watch and see how it goes.

Isn't she adopted?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the stars have aligned for Alysa. She will come of age at a perfect time for the Olympics. Only that. It really is about having a lucky birthdate. By the time the Olympics rolls around I expect an awful lot of quads and 3A's from Korea, Japan, China and of course Russia. There is really no way to know who will have been able to hang in there and who will no longer be a medal threat. Right now I would bet money on Young You, with the 3A and the spectacular 4loop and lutz for an Olympic medal.

China has a lady who can do quads and 3axels? China hasn't been a factor in ladies for years and doesn't seem to have anyone for 2022.

casualfan

On the Ice
Isn't she adopted?

No. She is the daughter of a single father. Her biological mother is an egg donor who we don't know anything about.

It's impossible to say how growth will impact her skating in the next 2 years. I don't see the point of speculation. There are too many what ifs. She seems to be working hard and improving and I looking forward to seeing what the future holds for her.

macy

Record Breaker
i think the technique on her triples through 3Lz is solid enough to get her through whatever changes puberty may bring. they look extremely easy for her, and honestly i'm not sure if i've ever seen her miss one.

Alysa may get lucky as she grows, but we have no idea how her body will change. everything may stay in proportion to her height and she might not have any issues at all. but there is no use to speculate, only sit back and watch and enjoy what she's doing now :)