2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 216 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Makemi

Rinkside
Which us singles skaters from nationals would be good for pairs?

She didn't make it to US Nationals this year but I read on FSU that Megan Wessenberg was at the USFS "Try Pairs workshop!" at the Ford Center on 2/28-2/29 (I think it was some kind of pairs recruitment event/camp, she was looking for a pairs partner). Apparently she did a pretty good death spiral.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Not only that Mirai grew from 4'7 when she won US Juniors at 13 to 4'11 when she won Senior Nationals a year later. So in about three years Mirai grew 9 inches. I think it would do Alysa some good to grow a few more inches just to have more of a presence on the ice and look more like a Senior skater.

This baffles me some. Anna S looks like a junior skater, yet is dominating the Senior ladies. Why would it be any different for Alysa?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She didn't make it to US Nationals this year but I read on FSU that Megan Wessenberg was at the USFS "Try Pairs workshop!" at the Ford Center on 2/28-2/29 (I think it was some kind of pairs recruitment event/camp, she was looking for a pairs partner). Apparently she did a pretty good death spiral.

Canada has had some success with single ladies doing pairs = Megan Duhamel, Jessica Dube, Jamie Sale, Cynthia Coull. The US's best probably was Kristi Yamaguchi but her quest for an individual gold ended Rudi Galindo's dreams. I think if an American lady really wants it she has to go for it. All these talks of single ladies going to paris makes me think Trusova should switch and find a guy who can do a quad toe.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It would be smart for a talented woman to consider pairs. That would probably be her best shot at an Olympic medal, in the team event.

natsulian

Final Flight
Audrey Lu and Ashley Cain-Gribble were both talented singles skaters before switching to pairs. Audrey has been working on a 3A, does the 3S+Eu+3S in the Free, has all her triples up to a 3Lz, and a few 3-3 combos. She even said she was going to start attempting the 3A on the ice. Ashley still has all her triples up to a 3Lz and can still do 3-3s. If pairs was all about the jumps, Audrey and her partner would be on top right now with their side by side 3-3s and other triple jumps. Calista Choi also had a partner over the summer but I’m not sure as to how they’ve fared. Those were just some examples that popped into my head.

As for our current ladies, best of luck to Alysa Liu, Starr Andrews, and Lindsay Thorngren as they compete for medals at the Junior World Championships.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Audrey Lu and Ashley Cain-Gribble were both talented singles skaters before switching to pairs. Audrey has been working on a 3A, does the 3S+Eu+3S in the Free, has all her triples up to a 3Lz, and a few 3-3 combos. She even said she was going to start attempting the 3A on the ice. Ashley still has all her triples up to a 3Lz and can still do 3-3s. If pairs was all about the jumps, Audrey and her partner would be on top right now with their side by side 3-3s and other triple jumps. Calista Choi also had a partner over the summer but I’m not sure as to how they’ve fared. Those were just some examples that popped into my head.

As for our current ladies, best of luck to Alysa Liu, Starr Andrews, and Lindsay Thorngren as they compete for medals at the Junior World Championships.

That's why I used to love pairs - because it ISN'T all about the jumps. And yes, best of luck to all.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Ashley has missed at least one jump in every competition this season. I dont know where this idea that shes a good or consistent jumper comes from

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa did well today overall, but obviously not to her potential. if she goes clean tomorrow, she will at least win silver. i can imagine she's probably angry with herself and her score and will have a fire under her butt tomorrow.

i do have to say now that we have seen her compete directly against Kamila twice, the differences between their skating is still very stark to me. Alysa has made a lot of improvements since last season, but she has a very long way to go. she loses a lot on GOE and PCS due to lack of speed and flow, and Kamila excels there.

skatinggold

On the Ice
Alysa did well today overall, but obviously not to her potential. if she goes clean tomorrow, she will at least win silver. i can imagine she's probably angry with herself and her score and will have a fire under her butt tomorrow.

i do have to say now that we have seen her compete directly against Kamila twice, the differences between their skating is still very stark to me. Alysa has made a lot of improvements since last season, but she has a very long way to go. she loses a lot on GOE and PCS due to lack of speed and flow, and Kamila excels there.

Alysa doing a triple axle triple toe combo Is not a very smart move from her team. Her triple lutz and toe combo at the end will probably get more points with GOE than her axle toe combo. She’s like almost 7 points behind in the short, she will probably add a second quad lutz in the free to make up the difference.

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa doing a triple axle triple toe combo Is not a very smart move from her team. Her triple lutz and toe combo at the end will probably get more points with GOE than her axle toe combo. She’s like almost 7 points behind in the short, she will probably add a second quad lutz in the free to make up the difference.

i agree they should have changed the combo- its too much risk and not enough reward. she would absolutely get higher GOE on an easy lutz toe.

natsulian

Final Flight
So sad for Lindsay Thorngren, but she’s only 13 and had she hit her 3-3, she would’ve been around 60 points. It’s good to know that she has potential and she will surely learn from this experience.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I don't expect Alysa to win, the judges are going to call her bigger jumps under-rotated in the free as well and she doesn't have as good of a program as Kamilla.

brakes

On the Ice
Alysa has rather slow entry into her triple axel and quads, but today she was really slow. Something was off there, probably nerves. I hope her competitive spirit ignite her competitive fire and her TES explodes in FS. :dev3:

katymay

Medalist

I think some of the problem is the program-it is a bit too...precious or something, and it doesn't really allow her stretch herself as far as speed and flow. Too much of it to me seems like cheezy arm movements and big grins and gestures. I hope they move more into grown-up-land next year. I loved last years Eastwick program, and her long is fine, but I'll be glad to see the end of Rain on My Parade.

Amei

Record Breaker
Alysa has rather slow entry into her triple axel and quads, but today she was really slow. Something was off there, probably nerves. I hope her competitive spirit ignite her competitive fire and her TES explodes in FS. :dev3:

Her TES depends on how forgiving the judges are to her under-rotations, they weren't forgiving at the GPF.

concorde

Medalist
So sad for Lindsay Thorngren, but she’s only 13 and had she hit her 3-3, she would’ve been around 60 points. It’s good to know that she has potential and she will surely learn from this experience.

Not to be nit-picky but Lindsay is just 2 months short of 15. Her ISU Bio lists her birthday as 5/12/2005.
fyi. Lindsay and my daughter has competed against each other one and off for years. I knew that the two were about the same age and my daughter just turned 15.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not to be nit-picky but Lindsay is just 2 months short of 15. Her ISU Bio lists her birthday as 5/12/2005.
fyi. Lindsay and my daughter has competed against each other one and off for years. I knew that the two were about the same age and my daughter just turned 15.

That's Dec 5, not May 12. I had to look up other skaters to make sure which order they were using; Valieva is listed as 26.04.2006, and Thorngren as 05.12.2005. From Valieva's DOB, you can see that it's DD.MM.YYYY.

So Lindsay is 14 years 3 mos old.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen it yet but, it looks like Alysa skated well in the free and took the Bronze. Congratulations!!