2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes, I understand. It comes to publishing. Psychiatrists actually treat patients and don't travel the world with their research demanding top dollar for their "knowledge".

That’s a broad generalization, and you seem to be implying something negative about Rachel’s choice - although you started off this conversation by admitting you didn’t know why she made it. Plenty of psychologists treat patients. Plenty of psychiatrists teach, publish, and do research. And plenty of psychiatrists make top dollar and drive BMWs.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Her jumps look so much better than last season. It tells us how great her techniques are because with so much body change, most skaters would not be able to jump triples.

also for those who don't have the gram, Vincent posted a clip of Gracie working on LP runthroughs with triples-

https://www.instagram.com/p/By52q8JnX0A/

i tell you what, i am SO proud of her. to even get to this point of being able to do triples in a 4 minute long program is a HUGE accomplishment for someone who literally stopped skating. that takes soooooooooooooooo much hard work. :clap:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Her jumps look so much better than last season. It tells us how great her techniques are because with so much body change, most skaters would not be able to jump triples.

No matter how this turns out, I'm so very proud of her for pushing herself to get this far. I truly wish her the very best.

creaturelover

On the Ice
No matter how this turns out, I'm so very proud of her for pushing herself to get this far. I truly wish her the very best.
This! She should be so proud of herself no matter how competitively successful she is! I'd love for her to come back on top but that is difficult to do!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Bradie will have to compete in back to back Grand Prixs..... how will she hold up?

Starr only received one assignment. I don’t think she will receive the SA host pick. She doesn’t have the technical firepower or good SS.

Wow, no US ladies are competing at Cup of China!

No Hanna Harrell, I guess she’ll remain on the jgp.

Not very many US ladies on the GP this year.

ribbit

On the Ice
Yes, I understand. It comes to publishing. Psychiatrists actually treat patients and don't travel the world with their research demanding top dollar for their "knowledge".

No, that's not what I said at all. As Tavi says, there are plenty of opportunities for members of both professions to travel and to earn lots of money (mostly from practice) if that's what interests them. And there are plenty of researchers and practitioners in both fields who quietly contribute to the advancement of knowledge and the improvement of individual lives without seeking (relative) wealth or fame.

Moreover, some forms of talk therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, are backed by copious and rigorous studies documenting their success. And some psychoactive medications, though popular, lack similarly extensive track records of success, come with significant and potentially dangerous side effects, and operate in ways that are poorly understood--if at all. As I said, both forms of therapy can be valuable, but psychiatry has not been demonstrated to be better than psychology.

Finally, although your comment implies a certain hostility to academia, no sensible person goes into the academy to become rich. One's earning potential is nearly always higher in the private sector. And authors don't profit from publishing in scholarly journals.

To bring this back to Rachel Flatt, if I remember correctly, her interests center on the understanding and treatment of eating disorders. Such conditions are usually managed primarily through psychological therapy, with medication only sometimes involved and as a secondary line of treatment:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eating-disorders/in-depth/eating-disorder-treatment/art-20046234

So someone with Rachel's interests would naturally gravitate toward psychology.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bradie will have to compete in back to back Grand Prixs..... how will she hold up?

Starr only received one assignment. I don’t think she will receive the SA host pick. She doesn’t have the technical firepower or good SS.

Wow, no US ladies are competing at Cup of China!

No Hanna Harrell, I guess she’ll remain on the jgp.

Not very many US ladies on the GP this year.

It looks like Bradie is our best hope for having a lady at the GPF. I wish all of our ladies the best on what looks to be a tough season coming.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Karen has 2 GP assignments! I’m pretty sure she used the comeback rule. I guess the ISU did count her withdrawal at Tallinn as not a full competition. Yay!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
It looks like Bradie is our best hope for having a lady at the GPF. I wish all of our ladies the best on what looks to be a tough season coming.

Ting got two GP’s as well.. she could make a splash, if she pulls it together.

journalist101

On the Ice

True but Ting's competing against Alina and Alena twice along with Rika at NHK and Kaori at IDF.

In actuality, all the ladies' grand prix are stacked and so it will be difficult to make the final for any US lady.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ting got two? Good i was going to rage if she only got 1 and Chen got 2. Karen has all the talent in the world but internationally she's been a disappointment. Other then Worlds in 2017 she hasn't done much of anything in big championships events whether they were the GP, 4CC or the Olympics.

andromache

Record Breaker
US ladies will be lucky to get as much as a GP bronze. All of the events are extremely stacked, even Skate America, which is historically US ladies' best medal chance.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I wonder who will get that TBD spot. kind of surprised Starr got 1 GP

I’m really hoping that the SA tbd spot will go to a skater other than Starr Andrews. Hopefully the spot will go to someone with more promise , someone who skates more like a senior lady.

frida80

Record Breaker
Short list for the SA spot.

Megan Wessenburg
Amber Glenn
Emmy Ma
Gracie Gold

Remember, USFS will look closely at ladies during the summer. The highest score between Broadmore, Glacier Falls, Skate Detroit and Philly Champs/Philly International will likely get the spot.

Courtney doesn’t have a good chance at SA unless she really impresses during the summer. I think USFS is done giving her chances with her poor national showing. With a score of 178, she should an alternate spot. Megan and Amber are also on the alternate list, with scores of 170 and 166.

Starr had the 4th highest score of all senior ladies last year, 187. It makes sense that she would get one spot of her own. She’s definitely not getting the TBA spot. It’s going go to someone without a spot. I’m hoping Emma, because I’m a big fan of hers.

Looks like Hanna will be like Ting and spend another year on the Junior Circuit. Much better this year, now that the 3A, Yelim and Young have moves up. She can use this time to focus on consistency, ice coverage, and those underrotations. I wonder if Gabriella will stick with senior and go for SA or get two spots on the JGP instead. It would be a good strategy, building up her reputation. But then I worry that Calista might get edged out...

Before anyone starts to kvetch about USA not making any podium aside from one, remember we all knew from the JGP this was inevitable. The three A have all moved up. There’s Zhenia, Alina, Elizaveta, Lil Bet, and Rika. The GPF is between them. Not to mention how formidable Vivica, Alexia and Eunsoo are becoming. Ladies have just become super competitive and we are still catching up. I’d rather we focus on the personal accomplishments of each lady rather than cry over how bad US ladies have become. Because honestly, by technical content and consistency this is the best we’ve ever been. The world went faster.

katymay

Medalist

Megan Wessenburg
Amber Glenn
Emmy Ma
Gracie Gold

Remember, USFS will look closely at ladies during the summer. The highest score between Broadmore, Glacier Falls, Skate Detroit and Philly Champs/Philly International will likely get the spot.

Courtney doesn’t have a good chance at SA unless she really impresses during the summer. I think USFS is done giving her chances with her poor national showing. With a score of 178, she should an alternate spot. Megan and Amber are also on the alternate list, with scores of 170 and 166.

Starr had the 4th highest score of all senior ladies last year, 187. It makes sense that she would get one spot of her own. She’s definitely not getting the TBA spot. It’s going go to someone without a spot. I’m hoping Emma, because I’m a big fan of hers.

Looks like Hanna will be like Ting and spend another year on the Junior Circuit. Much better this year, now that the 3A, Yelim and Young have moves up. She can use this time to focus on consistency, ice coverage, and those underrotations. I wonder if Gabriella will stick with senior and go for SA or get two spots on the JGP instead. It would be a good strategy, building up her reputation. But then I worry that Calista might get edged out...

Before anyone starts to kvetch about USA not making any podium aside from one, remember we all knew from the JGP this was inevitable. The three A have all moved up. There’s Zhenia, Alina, Elizaveta, Lil Bet, and Rika. The GPF is between them. Not to mention how formidable Vivica, Alexia and Eunsoo are becoming. Ladies have just become super competitive and we are still catching up. I’d rather we focus on the personal accomplishments of each lady rather than cry over how bad US ladies have become. Because honestly, by technical content and consistency this is the best we’ve ever been. The world went faster.

If Bradie had been placed in less competitive GP's (France, China) the US might have had a chance to make the final. I think the best placement we will have this year will be around 5th, but the next two years promise to be better. (When Hannah and Alysa move up).

concorde

Medalist

Megan Wessenburg
Amber Glenn
Emmy Ma
Gracie Gold

I would not put Gracie on the short list until she has done one summer competition and produced. Until that happens, I think any take of a Gracie comeback is wishful thinking.
I think having a successful comeback is much harder than most people think.