2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

elliana

On the Ice
So much talk about quads...any rumors of current US ladies attempting to learn 3A or quads? And, if not, can they still be contenders for the podium without it? Seems like Alina is able to win without them. What is the difference between a skater like Bradie Tennell and Alina Zagitova...is it talent? Sorry if it's a rookie question..I don't skate but love watching.

princessalica

Final Flight
So much talk about quads...any rumors of current US ladies attempting to learn 3A or quads? And, if not, can they still be contenders for the podium without it? Seems like Alina is able to win without them. What is the difference between a skater like Bradie Tennell and Alina Zagitova...is it talent? Sorry if it's a rookie question..I don't skate but love watching.

There are several younger ladies that are working on quads. Alysa has landed several and she also has the 3A. I believe Hanna Harrel is also working on quads and several other Junior or younger are as well.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
There are several younger ladies that are working on quads. Alysa has landed several and she also has the 3A. I believe Hanna Harrel is also working on quads and several other Junior or younger are as well.

Well her triple axel is kinda a double axel and a quarter cause she pretty rotates a turn on the ice

natsulian

Final Flight
I looked at Calista’s performance again and her performance and edge quality are so well executed and rare for her age group. If Calista had not split her time between pairs and singles, I feel like she would be so much more prepared with a clean 3Lz+3T because the speed going into her 3Lz and the rotation she gets is amazing. She OVER-rotated the 3Lz to the point where she lost timing and even Ted was shocked by how good her technique was. I rarely see people praising a US lady for her skating skills, but 90% of the comments I’ve read have talked about just how good her skating skills are for her age. Calista has a great future in whatever discipline she pursues fully.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Hanna is such a strong skater. When she land all jumps she will be on top. Huge scoring potential.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
I looked at Calista’s performance again and her performance and edge quality are so well executed and rare for her age group. If Calista had not split her time between pairs and singles, I feel like she would be so much more prepared with a clean 3Lz+3T because the speed going into her 3Lz and the rotation she gets is amazing. She OVER-rotated the 3Lz to the point where she lost timing and even Ted was shocked by how good her technique was. I rarely see people praising a US lady for her skating skills, but 90% of the comments I’ve read have talked about just how good her skating skills are for her age. Calista has a great future in whatever discipline she pursues fully.

how do you know she was going for 3lz-3t? She usually does a 2t.

halulupu

Final Flight
Total desaster for harall and choi. Harall seems not able to deliver. Such a talent.why are they not getting rid of that rippion on every jump?

katymay

Medalist
Total desaster for harall and choi. Harall seems not able to deliver. Such a talent.why are they not getting rid of that rippion on every jump?

I think she is too big to do a rippon-rippons seem to work for teeny tiny girls with fast rotation speed-narrow hips and shoulders. Hannah's strength is her raw power-like Osmond. I remember Trusova doing the flip rippon when she was 13, now I don't think she does anymore (now that she is bigger and has hips) It's a shame to see someone with so much natural ability not bring it. She had a good chance to be on the podium here, what a shame.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I think that the judges are still giving out higher GOE points to skaters who do tano and rippon jumps. They’re not supposed to, but they still are. That’s the only reason I can think of as to why Hanna Harrell keeps doing the feature on her jumps. She believes she’ll score higher. But honestly, the rippon jumps are making her score lower because the feature throws off her balance in the air, making her fall.
Hanna could be a top junior. But I think the rippon jumps are causing her too much trouble. She didn’t even make the top 6 in France.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa Liu will be performing alongside Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, and various athletes from across the globe at the Aurora Games where she will be skating to her new Free Program and old Short on the same day. The event can be streamed on CBC Canada and ESPN, but I'm not sure on which branch for the latter. A press conference was recently held and Liu talked about her summer training and working on learning from the older athletes to perform in a more "mature" manner.

Article: ​https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/14-year-old-national-champion-next-up-in-Aurora-14374030.php​​​

theharleyquinn

Medalist

It's probably tough. You start training a skater for one judging system and then it changes suddenly. The rippon needs to be scaled back so that she can at least make judgment calls on when not to do it. The way she landed the lutz was not stable enough to put a rippon on the toe but it doesn't seem like she even knows how not to.

halulupu

Final Flight
I think that the judges are still giving out higher GOE points to skaters who do tano and rippon jumps. They’re not supposed to, but they still are. That’s the only reason I can think of as to why Hanna Harrell keeps doing the feature on her jumps. She believes she’ll score higher. But honestly, the rippon jumps are making her score lower because the feature throws off her balance in the air, making her fall.
Hanna could be a top junior. But I think the rippon jumps are causing her too much trouble. She didn’t even make the top 6 in France.
Yes judges still give points for it. But she is never clean, so its pointless. On some jumps she can do it, fine. But she is like sotskova she is not able to choose because it seems so automatic

frida80

Record Breaker

They did as expected. Calista summer score was 138, she showed a 10 point improvement from that. Three weeks ago Hanna got a 169 in a Sr. Competition. That would be about 165 in a junior comp. so she was only five points below what she just scored.

This is what happens every year. Our juniors perform below everyone else in the JGP, and fans are horrified. It’s unrealisfic to expect either girl, who hadn’t done spectacularly during the summer to suddenly be magically competitive in just a few weeks.

Hanna had a lot of pressure on her this week to make the JGP. To somehow magically be the girl she was at nationals with two brand new programs. Just two months ago she scored in the 130s at Broadmoor. She was going to cave to the pressure, just like several girls before her. It’s so different from competing in competitions with only a few competitive people to going in with 8 competitive ladies.

She’ll get better as the season goes along. She’ll break in her programs and gain more confidence as she competes in international competitions. Calista will improve as well. As she preps for sectionals. All good learning moments for them both.

However, we cannot be surprised that ladies that are scoring lower than 180 aren’t competitive internationally in August. While I’m sure Alysa will be better next week, don’t expect much more from US ladies. They’re there to gain some international experience. Hopefully next year they’ll come prepared to fight.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I wonder if Ashley will perform her La La Land program at the Aurora Games, and if Mirai will perform her Olympics season program too.
I actually hope that Mirai performs something different, I never really cared for that program, but she probably hasn’t had time to make a whole new somethin-somethin’ just for a small event.