2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Andrew Austin competed in a regional?

A few days ago, I posted twice in this thread about Andrew's regional.

Please … look just a few posts above -- at #293 and #296.

Good luck this week to Nathan and Tomoki at their GP + Ryan Dunk and Torgashev at their Challenger.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few days ago, I posted twice in this thread about Andrew's regional.

Please … look just a few posts above -- at #293 and #296.

Sorry I missed it. Aww, you even referenced me. :luv17: Has he made the minimum TES for nats? I want to throw him a big stuffie and have a sparkly shoe off with his coach. BTW he is in Colorado going to school and Facetimes with Coach Sparkly Shoes, in case anyone doesn't know. I wonder why he didn't compete in collegiates?:scratch2: And ooh he came in second! Yay! BTW you are faster than twitter, I tweeted him but he hasn't responded:( And YAY! He moved up to 2nd! i will go watch right now! :yahoo: If you had told me 2 years ago I'd be so invested in sectionals I would have told you "no way!"

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nathan won the SP in France breaking 100 points even with a hand down on his 3A. If they both skate clean it will come down to Nathan and Hanyu at Worlds.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan won the SP in France breaking 100 points even with a hand down on his 3A. If they both skate clean it will come down to Nathan and Hanyu at Worlds.

Yes, I have believed that from the start. That part is kind of exciting but then only 3rd is up for grabs. Beginning to wish every comp had a pewter medal.

century2009

On the Ice
That's two hands, and most of his weight is on them - if he doesn't have his hands there he faceplants. I would call that a fall.

You might not like Nathan, but it isnt a fall. Body is not on the ground and weight was not actually there. He went and skated like it was nothing after the jump.

alexaa

Final Flight
Well, the picture captured the 2 hands on the ice, but watching video, the body weight was actually not there, otherwise he wouldn’t be able to recover that quick.

He got -2.29 GOE for that jump, I am aware of some antis trying really hard to frame it as a fall and demand a -1 deduction, unfortunately, not many people agree with the “fall” conclusion. The GS article refers to it as “step out” with hands down.

1111bm

Final Flight

That is not a fall, that is a hand.

That's two hands, and most of his weight is on them - if he doesn't have his hands there he faceplants. I would call that a fall.

Well I guess then by that standard, this should also count as a fall:

https://imgur.com/a/r7CpjRp
different angle:
https://imgur.com/a/5FagbHW
scoresheet:
https://imgur.com/a/8WpfYJm

Oh but look, it didn’t get called as such!
Also check out that GOE, that should have been a -3 across the board… I am shooketh by all this unfair biased judging! :drama:

But wait, this is the US men’s thread, so I should probably provide an example featuring a US skater, and a more recent one at that, Worlds 2015 took place in a different quad after all, so here it goes:

https://imgur.com/a/5cmGWXv
scoresheet:
https://imgur.com/a/bIT0u05

Again, interesting tech call… pretty sure that without the aid of his arms, his upper body wouldn’t be able to resist gravity and he'd be wiping the ice with his back… I would call that a fall.

Damn that Yuzuru Hanyu and Jason Brown! Always so overscored! :laugh:

(Although somehow I doubt anyone took offence at those calls back then, when they happened… :think:)

grado

Match Penalty
The fact that Hanyu and Brown are also constantly overscored is not relevant.

alexaa

Final Flight
This is US men’s thread, not a judging scoring thread or competition thread. It is not a fall, any scoring related to a fall is irrelevant and off topic of this thread.

1111bm

Final Flight
The fact that Hanyu and Brown are also constantly overscored is not relevant.

I don't think those tech calls are examples of overscoring, they just illustrate the standards tech panels apply when they define what counts as a fall and what doesn't (may vary somewhat depending on the tech panel of the day).
Overscoring would mean singling out one or several specific skaters and giving them preferential treatment, but if they treat everyone the same in the case of such hand down/almost falls/whatever-you-wanna-call-it mistakes, then you can't complain about overscoring.
You could only have an issue with the tech panels interpretation of the rules, but that has nothing to do with Nathan or this thread.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Congratulations Nathan on winning the Free and taking the gold Medal in France.