2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I wonder of BOW might help Vincent's chance - he is the defending world bnonze medallist.

If Vincent skates decently, I don’t see him being left off the worlds team. For Jason, I think his chances are very good even without a quad, as long as he is successful (or mostly) with his elements. Alex, Tomoki, and Camden aren’t that consistent with their quads, and Jason has the advantage in PCS and GOEs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder of BOW might help Vincent's chance - he is the defending world bnonze medallist.

Yes, but that was last season. He's done nothing this season. And I am firmly of the belief that the current season should hold more weight because it speaks to form.

He won't be left off in any case, barring disaster, but I think the bronze medallist thing loses water when you haven't done anything for the entire next season.

Can't wait to see Jason. I'm so excited. I think he could make a really big splash.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. It's going to be very exciting. Anyone can have the skates of their life.

Recent news/interviews on any except for Nathan and Vincent? Jason is pretty quiet I think. They should all be at the rink today. Maybe some media people will be there to ask them questions.

There was a media person asking me questions and I am no one. So I’m sure there will be media people there asking them questions.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Vincent skates decently, I don’t see him being left off the worlds team. For Jason, I think his chances are very good even without a quad, as long as he is successful (or mostly) with his elements. Alex, Tomoki, and Camden aren’t that consistent with their quads, and Jason has the advantage in PCS and GOEs.

I think this is a pretty reasonable assessment.

But after Euro's, and to a lesser extent Canadian Nationals, I'm back to how I used to view competitions... which is "show me."

No more preemptive mental medal ceremonies for me.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Body of Work. A skater's results.

OK, thanks. And it's up to the jury to decide how old the results can be to count.

There was a media person asking me questions and I am no one. So I’m sure there will be media people there asking them questions.

Kudos to you for answering her/him :thumbsup: Not everyone(me???) would do that. And I guess if a media person wants to get answers from a skater or coach they must choose the right moment.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK, thanks. And it's up to the jury to decide how old the results can be to count..

There's actually a list of what counts somewhere. Yes, previous years count, but below the current season results.

USFS hype video for the men's event at Nationals: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7rMgS3AqLZ/

I had to watch it twice to be sure what I was seeing, but yep. No Jason. Not even a glimpse of Jason. That bodes well, not.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There's actually a list of what counts somewhere. Yes, previous years count, but below the current season results.

USFS hype video for the men's event at Nationals: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7rMgS3AqLZ/

I had to watch it twice to be sure what I was seeing, but yep. No Jason. Not even a glimpse of Jason. That bodes well, not.

Well it's because the video is from practice and he wasn't at practice. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Basically they're been posting video highlights from each day. It's not really a hype video.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well it's because the video is from practice and he wasn't at practice. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Basically they're been posting video highlights from each day. It's not really a hype video.

Surely they could have spliced in SkAm practice footage for Jason given they are using it as promo.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, but that was last season. He's done nothing this season. And I am firmly of the belief that the current season should hold more weight because it speaks to form.

He won't be left off in any case, barring disaster, but I think the bronze medallist thing loses water when you haven't done anything for the entire next season.

Can't wait to see Jason. I'm so excited. I think he could make a really big splash.

The current season definitely should hold more weight but it hasn’t even been a year since Worlds:

At any rate, Vincent shouldn’t be too nervous about Nationals - he’s got a great shot to make the Nationals podium if he’s even in half the form he was when he won World bronze.

The reigning World bronze medalist should hold some clout for a while or at least until the next Worlds. Especially since he’s only US man other than Chen who has managed to win a World medal in the past 10 years. :clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Surely they could have spliced in SkAm practice footage for Jason given they are using it as promo.

But it wasn't a promo. It was literally a daily highlights video at US Nationals. They can't include Jason if he’s not there.

Jason is showing ultimate chaos and mystery in not showing up to practice, but yeah I'm sure we’ll see him tomorrow.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
All the best to the US guys. Short starting within an hour. Hopes for a stream...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, thanks. And it's up to the jury to decide how old the results can be to count.

Kudos to you for answering her/him [emoji106] Not everyone(me???) would do that. And I guess if a media person wants to get answers from a skater or coach they must choose the right moment.

It was the first day of juniors. Pickings were slim. And it was a him. Miked me up and every thing. I told him all about Gracie, stuffies, my rating of myself as a fan on a scale of 1-10, (I said 9. Ice Coverage and the mods here are 10). He videoed me throwing a stuffie. That was sad, I don’t just throw like a girl, I throw like a 53 year old woman. He asked me if there was anyone other than Gracie and I said oh yeah, there’s this guy named Nathan Chen who can skate pretty well. (I kid, I told him he was 2x world champion and undefeated this year.)

noskates

Record Breaker
GREAT competition. I was thrilled to see Jason skate so well. He really threw himself into that choreo. Nathan was Nathan - fabulous. Torgashev surprised me. Not a Vincent Zhou fan but given his preparation he did well. Camden Pulkinen reminds me alot of Jeremy Abbott in that he's so good and so smooth and just has a consistency problem. The outlook for US men in the future is definitely bright.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason made me cry my god damn heart out. Exquisite. Perfection on ice :luv17:
I'd like to highlight a comment from Johnny Weir as well as Jason finished up his programme "The way he skates, is so difficult, it's not a quad, but those edges, the details on the spins, the musicality, all of that stuff is just as hard to learn and feel as a quad lutz is. Just brilliant." :drama:

Also shout out to Andrew Torgashev who effing brought it and very much deserves to be in third right now, his SP was phenomenal!

zounger

Medalist
Great Nathan, almost scary that he performed so well at nationals. His SP is my best men SP this season and he brought it near to perfection. :clapper:

readernick

Medalist
Jason made me cry my god damn heart out. Exquisite. Perfection on ice :luv17:
I'd like to highlight a comment from Johnny Weir as well as Jason finished up his programme "The way he skates, is so difficult, it's not a quad, but those edges, the details on the spins, the musicality, all of that stuff is just as hard to learn and feel as a quad lutz is. Just brilliant." :drama:

Also shout out to Andrew Torgashev who effing brought it and very much deserves to be in third right now, his SP was phenomenal!

Nothing but respect for Nathan, he is an amazing skater. However, Torgashev and Brown were the real standouts for me, too. Andrew has always been so full of potential (those SS) but he was just never able to put it all together in competition. He really put it all together in that SP. Beautiful SS, Beautiful Jumps, Amazing Musicality and Performance. It was stunning.

And Jason! He is just amazing. He always appears to be at the pinnacle of artistry and then he manages to get even better. Everything he did was perfect!

I was also happy for Vincent because I just feel bad for that kid. I don't think he has the best home-life and he gets so much criticism. I am glad he skated well in the SP.

Camden broke my heart a bit. He messed up his easiest element. He is another skater (like Torgashev) who has all the skills to become a stunning skater but he has difficulty putting everything together.. I hope he does better in the free skate.

Hopefully everyone has a great skate in the free.

skatespin

On the Ice
Thanks a lot NBC, you make it nearly impossible to watch US Nationals other than through NBC or it's paid services and then you interrupt when Nathan and Jason skate with a news report (that people can get so many other places).

What disrespect to two great athletes in figure skating to take away their moments on live national TV. Finally, at the very end they replayed Nathan's free so that we could actually watch it, but Jason's was never shown. I hope someone puts up a decent video online. I don't see why they couldn't have waited until the last two skaters were done to interrupt the program.

It is easier to watch the nationals of other countries than it is to watch my own US nationals. I await the day when NBC no longer owns the rights to show figure skating.

Skatingfan1

Rinkside
Thanks a lot NBC, you make it nearly impossible to watch US Nationals other than through NBC or it's paid services and then you interrupt when Nathan and Jason skate with a news report (that people can get so many other places).

What disrespect to two great athletes in figure skating to take away their moments on live national TV. Finally, at the very end they replayed Nathan's free so that we could actually watch it, but Jason's was never shown. I hope someone puts up a decent video online. I don't see why they couldn't have waited until the last two skaters were done to interrupt the program.

It is easier to watch the nationals of other countries than it is to watch my own US nationals. I await the day when NBC no longer owns the rights to show figure skating.

So sorry for you and others. What NBC did was wrong. If it were the super bowl it would not have happened. I did get the NBC Gold pass and watch it with a firestick. Very happy with it. It was worth the money.