2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am so excited. Can't wait to see Jason's SL. I know he had the concussion but Iwonder if the quad is ready. It's been a long time in the making. Jason has the best skating skillsat least in the US - it iskind of disappointing to see Nathan Chen getting such high pcs though he has improved and is a two time world champion. Considering Nathan and Vincent are defending world medallists Jason has toh hold off a slew of up and comers from Jimmy Ma to Alex T and a few others - Tomoki?, Cam P, Alex K? Sorry about spelling. He has experience on his side but I do wonder if the judges will tire if he doesn't up the tech.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so excited. Can't wait to see Jason's SL. I know he had the concussion but Iwonder if the quad is ready. It's been a long time in the making. Jason has the best skating skillsat least in the US - it iskind of disappointing to see Nathan Chen getting such high pcs though he has improved and is a two time world champion. Considering Nathan and Vincent are defending world medallists Jason has toh hold off a slew of up and comers from Jimmy Ma to Alex T and a few others - Tomoki?, Cam P, Alex K? Sorry about spelling. He has experience on his side but I do wonder if the judges will tire if he doesn't up the tech.

I don't think it's a matter of the judges "tiring" of Jason. He just has a low technical limit to his scores, at least in relation to the best of his peers. I'm not sure what you expect the judges to do about that. They can only score the program that is presented. He has excellent "second mark" scores, deservedly so, and he is rewarded pretty handsomely there.

I don't want to be viewed as "anti-Jason" because I'm not. Over the last years I've come to the realization that my own personal approach to his skating will be to enjoy the admirable qualities he brings to the ice, and to ignore the placement. He'll make the team or he won't; I'll enjoy his programs, provided they are skated to his abilities. But the Jason Quad Watch? I'm over that.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Like you I’m really excited to see both of Jason’s new programs. But I doubt we’ll see a quad at SA.

Jason was interviewed in the most recent Ice Talk. He said that after the accident last August, he went through a concussion protocol, but symptoms reemerged and were severe enough that he had to withdraw from Nebelhorn and back way off training for awhile. He was getting nausea and severe headaches from spinning. Thankfully he is now symptom free, but he just started running full programs two weeks ago. He said he thinks his programs at SA will be about 80% of where he hopes they are by the end of the season.

Regarding his scoring, when he skates clean he gets great GOE as well as PCS, even without a quad. What happens this season remains to be seen.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
It’s been 5 years since Jason’s been working on a quad... not gonna hold my breath. Yes his skating is stunning but it’s only a matter of time that someone overtakes his spot for worlds, Jason’s spot relies on whether or not Tomoki and Alex etc can get it together.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s been 5 years since Jason’s been working on a quad... not gonna hold my breath. Yes his skating is stunning but it’s only a matter of time that someone overtakes his spot for worlds, Jason’s spot relies on whether or not Tomoki and Alex etc can get it together.

Well, you’re certainly not going to hold your breath at Skate America, as Jason is coming back from what sounds like,e a serious concussion (as if any concussion is minor) that caused him severe headaches and nausea when spinning. His planned content has no quad.

For the five years that I’ve been following Jason, I’ve heard oh this one with a quad will overtake him, that one with a quad will overtake him. And so far, thank Ford, superior skating skills, spins and artistry still mean something and it hasn’t happened.

And although I can’t predict the future, those wonderful athletic gifts will always mean an enormous amount to me :yes:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Jason has been working on a 4S last season and even attempted it several times in competition.
https://youtu.be/1c4fX6UYkl4

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since 2014 Olympics he’s been saying the quad is coming. Have yet to see one landed consistently, appreciate the attempts though. I watch Jason for his beautiful skating and programs but am being realistic about his claims on increasing the technical side

I think I can safely say I have read, listened to, or watched almost every interview with Jason in the past five years. :biggrin:*He* hasn’t been saying that it’s “coming”, ever, and certainly not since the ETA: 2014 Olympics, I don’t understand this :scratch:

He says he is working on one, that’s all we can ask. :)

Last edited:

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I think I can safely say I have read almost every interview with Jason in the past five years. :biggrin:*He* hasn’t been saying that it’s “coming”, ever, and certainly not since the ETA: 2014 Olympics, I don’t understand this :scratch:

He says he is working on one, that’s all we can ask. :)

Working on one, same thing. Maybe he needs internal competition and pressure to really land it this time. I’d rather see him try it and fall at least than just skate the same safe program content. There are girls in juniors now doing quads for goodness sake. He’s an absolutely beautiful skater to watch, so I wish he could finally figure out the quad so he can actually be competitive on the world stage.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Working on one, same thing. Maybe he needs internal competition and pressure to really land it this time. I’d rather see him try it and fall at least than just skate the same safe program content. There are girls in juniors now doing quads for goodness sake. He’s an absolutely beautiful skater to watch, so I wish he could finally figure out the quad so he can actually be competitive on the world stage.

Well, we do agree that we wish he would finally figure out the quad.

However, describing Jason's programs as the "same safe program content" makes no sense to me either. He has been falling on that blasted quad, or standing up and two footing it, or called UR, for at least three years now.

If he was skating the "same safe program content", he'd just ditch the thing altogether. Heck, I wish he would :laugh:Lots of skaters do quads. Very few do what Jason does.

And I can't wait to see both of these programs at Skate America:agree: (Can't wait to see Alex K. either, but I've seen his programs, live even. This will be the first sighting of Jason)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Like you I’m really excited to see both of Jason’s new programs. But I doubt we’ll see a quad at SA.

Jason was interviewed in the most recent Ice Talk. He said that after the accident last August, he went through a concussion protocol, but symptoms reemerged and were severe enough that he had to withdraw from Nebelhorn and back way off training for awhile. He was getting nausea and severe headaches from spinning. Thankfully he is now symptom free, but he just started running full programs two weeks ago. He said he thinks his programs at SA will be about 80% of where he hopes they are by the end of the season.

Regarding his scoring, when he skates clean he gets great GOE as well as PCS, even without a quad. What happens this season remains to be seen.

The Ice Talk interview was great. He seems to have realistic expectations based on the concussion, but I think he could still do decently here.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Since 2014 Olympics he’s been saying the quad is coming. Have yet to see one landed consistently, appreciate the attempts though. I watch Jason for his beautiful skating and programs but am being realistic about his claims on increasing the technical side

I almost think he'd be better off sticking with perfecting 4 triple SPs and 8 triple LPs. At this point, one type of quad won't really help him catch Nathan, Yuzu, or the others capable of doing multiple quads with good artistry. If training his quad takes away time from training jumps he can land solidly, he could struggle when he can't land the quad and also is shaky on his other elements. It's admirable that he's pushing himself to try harder content, but changing his mind on what elements to put in his programs depending on how his quad is in practice might be a big distraction that prevents him from performing his best.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Quads aren't everything. Many wish they could skate like Jason and get the points without the quads, he's a beautiful skater with quality edges and more.
I also don't suggest ever holding your breath in this sport, you might pass out. :dev3:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Nathan's posture looked terrible in the sp, especially the hunched back. It really prevented me from enjoying his skating. I used to think it is his costume, but now I've seen this with different outfits. Why doesn't his team work on this?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Nathan's posture looked terrible in the sp, especially the hunched back. It really prevented me from enjoying his skating. I used to think it is his costume, but now I've seen this with different outfits. Why doesn't his team work on this?

Because when you're getting ninety-****ing-four PCS for skating jump to jump then having a fun ChSq anyway, why bother?

alexaa

Final Flight

To me, it is partly costume, partly early season thing. His costume is quite similar to his SP Caravan costume last year early season, which made the hunching issue more prominent, but sort of went away after he went for that Vera Wang penguin costume. I also noticed his hunching problems early in the season, when he performed his Land of All in the early Ice Show outings in summer. It improved gradually late in the season, so I don’t quite fault on his team for not addressing it. I would prefer more attention should be on improving that.

I guess with his super packed, unimaginable busy schedule, they probably don’t have the time they should have on it. After all, he didn’t go back to Cali until May, and busy touring all summer. He got his program kinda late, and was out almost whole June. He at most didn’t spend even 2 months with Raf in summer.

I believe it will improve somewhat when he has time to work with Shae Lynn, Marie France during winter break. Nadia at Park Ice would also be helping. Nathan pretty much trained and practiced by himself, with very little monitoring from anyone when he is in school. He stated he only faced time Raf four times the whole last season. He checks in with Raf in a weekly basis, but I don’t think it is via Skype or FaceTime, probably just phone or text conversations

alexaa

Final Flight
Just a general comment, if Nathan and his team not bothered about growth in areas other than jumping, he would not probably go to Gadbois for choreography. He stated reasons why he likes to work with ice dancer coaches for choreography. You can see from the choreographers he worked with since his senior years in 2016.

Nathan Chen on pre- #SkateAmerica call: "I love working w/ ice dance coaches for choreography. [With Marie-France Dubreuil in Montreal], I get to spend time with the best of the best ice dancers... see how they train, how they use their edges. It really elevates my skating."

https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1184143672591421441?s=20

century2009

On the Ice
Just a general comment, if Nathan and his team not bothered about growth in areas other than jumping, he would not probably go to Gadbois for choreography. He stated reasons why he likes to work with ice dancer coaches for choreography. You can see from the choreographers he worked with since his senior years in 2016.

https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1184143672591421441?s=20

It's a smart move as they are the best in the business, and he has showed great improvement.

discode

Final Flight
You can obviously see that Nathan is putting thought into transitions in and out of his jumps (side note, him hitting that 3a right on the music was freaking amazing), talks about wanting to improve his skating skills and other areas. If you still can't see that I don't know what you are watching. And his growth as a performer as also been amazing. He's got 94 PCS so he's doing nothing to improve is completely wrong