2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I heard about Ilia Malinin a couple of years ago.. he seems to be quite talented. I look forward to seeing more of him..

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard about Ilia Malinin a couple of years ago.. he seems to be quite talented. I look forward to seeing more of him..

Ilia was a little firecracker at the Philadelphia comp:clap: and as often happens in junior men, third place finisher Darian Kaptich was as tall as Ilia on the winners podium.

One nitpicky observation: Ilia’s costume was incomprehensible. It was half white shirt, half black jacket, literally half on one side and half on the other. We all thought it might be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

It was James Bond :confused:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ilia was a little firecracker at the Philadelphia comp:clap: and as often happens in junior men, third place finisher Darian Kaptich was as tall as Ilia on the winners podium.

One nitpicky observation: Ilia’s costume was incomprehensible. It was half white shirt, half black jacket, literally half on one side and half on the other. We all thought it might be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

It was James Bond :confused:

Thanks for the first hand account elhenry! I have looked for video of his performance but alas found none...
Maybe his costuming will be fine tuned now he has assignment! :popcorn: :)

concorde

Medalist
Thanks for the first hand account elhenry! I have looked for video of his performance but alas found none...
Maybe his costuming will be fine tuned now he has assignment! :popcorn: :)
Part of Ilia's music was from Bond so his team was going for that effect. I would be highly surprised if his team changes the shirt beyond a couple of tweaks.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Part of Ilia's music was from Bond so his team was going for that effect. I would be highly surprised if his team changes the shirt beyond a couple of tweaks.

I think at this point it would be hard to change, but I am sorry to say the team IMO failed :shrug: all white shirt. Sure. all black jacket. Got it. One half white shirt and one half black jacket, like Frank Gorshin in Star Trek? No one on my bench could figure it out before the music....

And AFAIK, all the music is Bond. Starts with the Bond theme and goes into “Writings on the Wall”. I didn’t hear anything else, although I could have missed it.

But Ilia skates fast and well, so once it started, I somewhat forgot the costume:)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
congratulations to Matthew Nielsen for his outstanding and surprising performance at Courcheval today. he is currently in 2nd place. :clapper:

Shani

On the Ice
Mathew did well today. He had a few issues like it was his first JGP and wasn't supposed to be 2nd after short program so extra pressure. He made a few errors accordingly. He ran a bit out of steam so was underconditioned for the pressure keg. Back to back programs and off ice conditioning should take care of this. He had a good day here and is taller than many others and is growing. He had good jumps and it is refreshing to see a young skater from outside the main training hubs do so well on his first international outing. You will see him again.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Mathew did well today. He had a few issues like it was his first JGP and wasn't supposed to be 2nd after short program so extra pressure. He made a few errors accordingly. He ran a bit out of steam so was underconditioned for the pressure keg. Back to back programs and off ice conditioning should take care of this. He had a good day here and is taller than many others and is growing. He had good jumps and it is refreshing to see a young skater from outside the main training hubs do so well on his first international outing. You will see him again.

i do hope so :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Now that the JGP is getting into full swing, I'm excited to see more clips from our seniors. Hopefully we'll see some good clips from Champs Camp.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched a run through of Ilia MALININ's SP on YouTube. He's a little firecracker. I hope he does well this weekend. I just discovered that Ilia is Tatiana Malinina's son. I can't believe I hadn't heard that until today. :drama:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Joseph Klein was impressive in men's SP at LP yesterday. Both he and Ilia did beautifully... very nice competition .. good luck to both in the free!,

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just watched a run through of Ilia MALININ's SP on YouTube. He's a little firecracker. I hope he does well this weekend. I just discovered that Ilia is Tatiana Malinina's son. I can't believe I hadn't heard that until today. :drama:

Malinina was quite a firecracker herself with enormous jumps for someone so tiny. Best Use of Aladdin music...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope Nathan has got some good training in now that school is starting. I am excitedto see Jason's SL though I do think he needs one quad jump. IMHO Nathan Chen should be like 12 pts behind on pcs but the judges won't allow that. I am curious has anyone seen Vincent. Vincent had his break through now he needs to get more mature and consistent.

Tahuu

On the Ice
IMHO Nathan Chen should be like 12 pts behind on pcs but the judges won't allow that.

Are you talking about the past or the future?

You seem to imply the future. But the season hasn’t started and we haven’t seen how Jason and Nathan skate. How in your opinion Nathan should be 12 pts behind?

If you are talking about the past, I am afraid the judges didn’t agree with you. These are the high PCSs Jason and Nathan got at jr and sr, national and international competitions.

Jr SP PCS at US nationals: Jason 28.90, Nathan 32.57
Jr FS PCS at US nationals: Jason 63.14, Nathan 68.94

Jr SP PCS at ISU: Jason 33.44, Nathan 37.11
Jr FS PCS at ISU: Jason 73.06, Nathan 73.56

Sr SP PCS at US nationals: Jason 47.76, Nathan 48.37
Sr FS PCS at US nationals: Jason 93.34, Nathan 98.50

Sr SP PCS at ISU: Jason 46.15, Nathan 47.26
Sr FS PCS at ISU: Jason 92.08, Nathan 94.78

alexaa

Final Flight
From Figure Skaters Online, Joseph, Ryan and Ilia talked about their performances the past weekend
Members of Team USA talk about their Junior Grand Prix Lake Placid performances
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...eir-junior-grand-prix-lake-placid-experience/

Joseph, Ilia also talked about theirs goals this year

What are your goals for this season?

Joseph: I’m hoping to medal at Nationals for juniors and then I want to get another international whether it is a Junior Grand Prix or an advanced novice since I’m technically still a novice skater. This was definitely unexpected and a great experience.

Favorite moment from your two performances?

Joseph: I really want to say it was my (triple) toe-(triple) toe because it was my first time doing it cleanly in competition. I actually felt a lot of joy today when I did that cantilever Salchow and I heard the crowd go ‘Woohoo!’. It was fun that everyone was enjoying my transitions and jumps

Ilia: My goals for this year are to learn another quad because I have a quad Salchow. It is not really that consistent, but I’m working on it and I’m hoping to have a quad toe and maybe by next year a quad Lutz.

When do you think you want to add a quad in competition?

Ilia: I think maybe this year if I can perfect my quad Salchow more than I can maybe start adding it into my long.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Joseph's answer about his favorite moment in the performance really squares with what I loved so much about his skating. The joy and the exhilaration of performing!

truthbooth

On the Ice
Uneven SP at JGP Latvia for Torgashev. PCS was relatively low compared to the field too. He will need a strong free skate to be in the medal hunt.

tosca

On the Ice
Uneven SP at JGP Latvia for Torgashev. PCS was relatively low compared to the field too. He will need a strong free skate to be in the medal hunt.

I think his PCS suffered to it not being a clean outing. I will say... usually after one mistake, Andrew has a tendency to pop everything but it was nice to see his fight.