2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alex Krasnozhon is officially listed as the third US man at Skate America

https://www.2019skateamerica.com/athletes

(H/T to @AlexKBiggestFan in the Fan Fest for the tip).

As I said in the Fan Fest, I am really looking forward to the growth of Alex K.'s programs. They are strong, passionate, and tailored to Alex K.'s strengths. Kudos to Alex Johnson for knowing his skater:clap:

I'm excited for Alex this year. I still can't imagine any skater breaking into the top 3 unless one of the top men has a meltdown at nationals. Even a quadless Jason has such high PCS that I don't see him out of the top 3.

readernick

Medalist
I'm excited for Alex this year. I still can't imagine any skater breaking into the top 3 unless one of the top men as a meltdown at nationals. Even a quadless Jason has such high PCS that I don't see him out of the top 3.

If someone does break into the top 3, I think Tomoki is the one most likely to do so. He has quads, good SS and interpretation. But, I think that will only happen if injury/ terrible season occur for the top 3.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If someone does break into the top 3, I think Tomoki is the one most likely to do so. He has quads, good SS and interpretation. But, I think that will only happen if injury/ terrible season occur for the top 3.

I think he's got a shot. It's too early to know. We haven't seen any competition programs from the top men.

Tomoki's at that age where tremendous improvements can happen in the space of a year. As you note, he's got a pretty good base, and I think he performed really well towards the end of the last season.

It wasn't that long ago that people thought that Jason would be a perennial National Champion. Then they thought Vincent wouldn't really be able to challenge for the number 2 spot. So, no, I'm not putting much stock in any argument that Jason couldn't be bumped from the main part of the podium.

That said, I'm from Missouri (figuratively) so all the men are going to have to show me. Instagram and Twitter are nice, but eventually it's time to put it on the ice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well Jason hasn’t been posting on Instagram or Twitter much at all lately so who knows what his status is other than some TSL report that he might have had a minor (?) concussion from a car accident during champs camp but somehow was doing his triples fine about two weeks later? :confused2:

I hope he’s okay and we’ll see him at Nebelhorn next week. We’ll see Vince, Tomoki, Alexei and Jimmy this week!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know if Alex, Andrew T., Tomoki or anyone else has a shot at the top three at Nats this year. I like them all for different reasons, so you go, guys. :hap10:

But Jason is my favorite, that’s no secret. Even a smudge above my Andrew T. :biggrin: I do know that never did I say, or did I see other Jason fans on this Board say, that Jason would be national champion forever. Want, of course; :) predict never. And I certainly never said that Vincent would never finish ahead of him at Nats. (That is a big difference from offering an opinion on who skated better at a particular comp).

I did say, and I still say, that no one should make assumptions about young guns just because they were young guns. I’m not a huge fan of assumptions either way. ;)

I just devoutly hope Jason is OK for Nebelhorn. :pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don’t know if Alex, Andrew T., Tomoki or anyone else has a shot at the top three at Nats this year. I like them all for different reasons, so you go, guys. :hap10:

But Jason is my favorite, that’s no secret. Even a smudge above my Andrew T. :biggrin: I do know that never did I say, or did I see other Jason fans on this Board say, that Jason would be national champion forever. Want, of course; :) predict never. And I certainly never said that Vincent would never finish ahead of him at Nats. (That is a big difference from offering an opinion on who skated better at a particular comp).

I did say, and I still say, that no one should make assumptions about young guns just because they were young guns. I’m not a huge fan of assumptions either way. ;)

I just devoutly hope Jason is OK for Nebelhorn. :pray:

This should be an interesting week with so many guys making their season debuts, and I’m especially looking forward to seeing Tomoki’s Petrushka program. But I have to say that Jason’s month-long silence is a bit concerning in view of the TSL report.

Regarding Jason as national champion - hah. What I recall is a lot of people criticizing his win (including a Phil Hersh article about how terrible it was that our new national champion was quadless), a lot of wuzrobbing for Josh and Adam, Johnny Weir talking about Josh’s “authentic” versus Jason’s “manufactured” artistry, and a lot of people saying that Josh, not Jason, was the “total package.” But predicting he would be the perennial national champion - not so much.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Reported concussion. Back on the ice. Then silence. Then a withdrawal. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, not again...

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Noooo Jason! I'm gutted, but mostly because I hope this doesn't mean his concussion is worse than previously thought. Hopefully he just needs more time to recover before the grand prix circuit... Honestly don't know what I'll do if it's more serious :sad4:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Reported concussion. Back on the ice. Then silence. Then a withdrawal. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, not again...

This has me very worried. I hope we'll get an update from his team as to how he's doing.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Joseph Klein was impressive in men's SP at LP yesterday. ...

Something new? (New at least to me):
Joe Klein's coach at U.S. Challenge Skate is Damon Allen.
And now on Joe's USFS bio, Damon is the third coach listed.​

Lots of interesting junior men at Challenge Skate. Good luck to all in the FS.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Something new? (New at least to me):
Joe Klein's coach at U.S. Challenge Skate is Damon Allen.
And now on Joe's USFS bio, Damon is the third coach listed.​

Lots of interesting junior men at Challenge Skate. Good luck to all in the FS.

Thanks for this! Not sure when/where he is competing again but look forward to his next comps...

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just saw Nathan's new LP at the Japan Open. What a debut. I love his new free program.

century2009

On the Ice
I just Nathan's new LP at the Japan Open. What a debut. I love his new free program.

It's a nice different program for him and like that he is bringing something different and youthful for him. He definitely have grown as a performer.

I am pretty surprised how well he skated with no training so far as school gets more demanding and away from Raf. I actually though he would not do well.

He looked comfortable, and the quads were great like it was easy for him. If he brings the 4Lz he can have 5 quads in the program with the 4S here.

His first event is in 2 weeks so we will see more how he has been preparing for this season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Jimmy Ma, who came in 4th at Finlandia! :hap10:

Jimmy's free skate actually had the second-highest score, next to Shoma Uno. And Jimmy's TES for the free skate was actually higher than Shoma Uno's ... who won the event. Naturally, Shoma's PCS was quite a lot higher, though. Still, a great finish for Jimmy.

I like Jimmy's Blues for Klook, he's got a sparkle, and I think there's room for the program to grow during the season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And we all wanted to see his SL. This is the year of SL - I liked both Satoko and Roman Sadosky - a Canadian skater who won bronze at Finlandia.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
:( I hope he'll be ok.

It looks like he’s back to his old self! :)

https://twitter.com/usfigureskating/status/1182778555815677952?s=21

On Ice Perspectives recently published another clip from the FS on Istagram recently - it looks good, but it’s clearly from last August, so doesn’t give us any info on how he’s skating currently. Hopefully he’s back to form, but we’ll see next week.

For anyone who doesn’t know, NBC Sports Gold will be streaming some SA practices for all disciplines as well the actual competition!