2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Tahuu

On the Ice
Great for Vincent! Brown fits his skating schedule. It’s the most flexible school in the country: open curriculum, not distribution requirements, no GPA, flexible course load bc of personal needs. Basically he can design his own study!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The right choice for Vincent
The few weeks he spend with Hamada before Worlds already had a positive effect on his skating. His SS and overall performance will certainly improve with Hamada.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So happy that things work out well for Vincent. Really looking forward to see him progress in all aspects. Especially after all the negativity against him last season :(

Way to go Vincent!

gottadance

On the Ice
does anybody know if there is to be any live streaming of the Broadmoor Open - I cant seem to see anything about it anywhere ?? I went onto the event site but couldnt seem to find anything about TV or streaming coverage ?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
does anybody know if there is to be any live streaming of the Broadmoor Open - I cant seem to see anything about it anywhere ?? I went onto the event site but couldnt seem to find anything about TV or streaming coverage ?

Don't think we know yet. Someone said the company that did a lot of the summer streaming last season appears to be out of business or at least couldn't be found on the internet anymore.

sheetz

Record Breaker
There are rumors that Tom has been offered a position at Toyota centre in LA.

Vincent has updated his Instagram and says he will attend Brown for one semester before taking a break to focus on skating.

natsulian

Final Flight
I know...….I wish I had some inside information as to why. I love so many of his students and this make mw worry that things have changed.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Even if Tom moves to Los Angeles, I'm sure his students will follow him. Plus, it's a good opportunity for those in the area of the Toyota Centre.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
There are rumors that Tom has been offered a position at Toyota centre in LA.

Vincent has updated his Instagram and says he will attend Brown for one semester before taking a break to focus on skating.

Oh interesting. It's kind of weird to go for just one semester. Will this interfere with the GP?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh interesting. It's kind of weird to go for just one semester. Will this interfere with the GP?

My complete, total wild guess is that Brown, like many schools, will not allow deferral of more than one year to actually start school.

However, once matriculated and a student, they may allow a current student more “time off” than a prospective student. So Vincent is wisely ensuring his spot by enrolling and starting school , then returning to full time training,

( I need to stress, that although I have some familiarity with Brown from many many moons ago — US men skaters seem to like my spousal units’s alma maters, good for them:laugh: — I do not know this for certain. But it’s my theory and I’m sticking to it:biggrin:)

As for the GP, I have no idea:confused:

Last edited:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
My complete, total wild guess is that Brown, like many schools, will not allow deferral of more than one year to actually start school.

However, once matriculated and a student, they may allow a current student more “time off” than a prospective student. So Vincent is wisely ensuring his spot by enrolling and starting school , then returning to full time training,

( I need to stress, that although I have some familiarity with Brown from many many moons ago — US men skaters seem to like my spousal units’s alma maters, good for them:laugh: — I do not know this for certain. But it’s my theory and I’m sticking to it:biggrin:)

As for the GP, I have no idea:confused:

Some schools allow deferral for up to two years. Those rules are exactly why I just expected him to apply in a few years as other skaters have done. It's definitely odd that he chose to apply at all right now. His calculus is a bit different than Karen's or even Nathan's given the timing, and he's done well enough that he would've earned a spot at a school like Brown after the Olympics anyways. His classmates the first semester will likely be seniors by the time he's back!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Some schools allow deferral for up to two years. Those rules are exactly why I just expected him to apply in a few years as other skaters have done. It's definitely odd that he chose to apply at all right now. His calculus is a bit different than Karen's or even Nathan's given the timing, and he's done well enough that he would've earned a spot at a school like Brown after the Olympics anyways. His classmates the first semester will likely be seniors by the time he's back!

as far as Vincent is concerned, all boundaries are conventions.:biggrin::biggrin:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^ I love the program... this is an excellent suggestion

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Just a quick note on the US men who competed at the Peggy Fleming Trophy last night. This is a fairly new competition held in conjunction with Broadmoor Open, with an emphasis on artistry and a combined field of men and ladies. More than half the competitors were Team USA members, so the level of skating and readiness was quite high for a June club competition. And although the rules are different than IJS (among other things, quads are not allowed), at least three of the judges were ISU international judges. The three medalists were Jason Brown, Andrew Torgashev, and Karen Chen.

Jason’s skating was clean and beautiful, and he handled the combined jet lag (after two weeks in China) and altitude very well: he conserved energy and did just enough to win. He really strikes me as an adult now. There is a power and amplitude to his skating and jumps that really stood out among the rest of the field, and he seems confident in his technique. I didn’t take a vid, but I’m pretty sure zucchilles on Twitter did and said she’d post it today.

The other men who competed were Andrew Torgashev, who took silver with almost as high components as Jason, Emmanuel Savary, who skated beautifully to “Oh come oh come Emmanuel,” Tomoki Hiwatashi, and Camden Pulkinen. All of these guys looked good (all train in CS, so I don’t think they were dealing with altitude or jet lag). Andrew T is very showy, very fast, and has great skating skills. Tomoki and Camden both skated well but did not have as much impact for me as the other three guys. Andrew T fans will be happy to know that after the comp was over and people were doing the traditional end of comp showy stuff, he landed a great 4T. It was good to see the progress made by Andrew, Emmanuel, Camden, and Tomoki, and I think it bodes well for the US in the future. .

All in all I was glad I was able to go.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great review, @Tavi, thank you!

My kind of comp, Jason and Andrew T. 1-2:yahoo: