2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think 4th would probably depend on other results.
Not really. Ignatov/Aymoz need silver, but only 1 can win it. Whoever win bronze will lose to Jason in tiebreaker since 2+4 beat 3+3. Unless Hanyu WD and open up gold medal contender

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my goodness. I've lost this post twice on my phone now.

So..the men's sectionals.

Midwestern: 1. Jordan Moeller 191.76* (*=qualified)
2. Andrew Austin 176.27
3. Emmanuel Savary 175.82*
4. Ben Jalovick 167.54

May I just say I am SO FREAKING PROUD of Andrew. Last year was his first Nationals. He finished last with a score of 131.79. Now he is the Midwestern Sectionals SILVER medalist and has improved his score by 45 points! Can you believe that?

So, #1 and #3 are going to Nationals (Emmanuel had previously made the minimum TES)

Moving on to Eastern Sectionals:

1. Jimmy Ma - 210.29*
2. William Hubbert - 206.79*
3. Tony Lu - 168.28
4. Jun Hong Chen - 156.47

Pacific Coast Sectionals:

1. Joonsoo Kim 213.89*
2. Yaroslov Paniot 213.01*
3. Dinh Tran 204.80*
4. Sean Rabbitt 197.55*

So, our Silver & Pewter medalists from Midwestern Sectionals are not going and our bronze and pewter medalists from Eastern Sectionals do not get to attend Nationals. This is crazy.

I can see setting a minimum TES that is 1. Considerably lower than the TES for 4CCs and 2. Can be obtained over more than one comp.

#letAndrewskate
#letBenskate
#letTonyskate
#letJunskate

Maybe we can send them all to 4CCs instead?

It will take me a couple of days to process this to be calm enough that writing USFS would not be counterproductive.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Adding the qualifiers and the byes together, there will be just sixteen Senior Men at US Nationals. Sixteen. Not even three full warmup groups. And it's not like they don't have them, just the USFS for some stupid reason has decided they don't want them.

haribobo

On the Ice
SENIOR MEN SECTIONALS QUALIFIERS TO NATIONALS

Joonsoo Kim 213
Yaroslav Paniot 213
Jimmy Ma 210
William Hubbart 206
Dinh Tran 204
Sean Rabbitt 197
Jordan Moeller 191
Emmanuel Savary 175

INTL BYES - ISU SB
Nathan Chen 299
Jason Brown 255
Camden Pulkinen 244
Vincent Zhou 231
Alexei Krasnozhon 230
Tomoki Hiwatashi 227
Andrew Torgashev 217
Ryan Dunk 205

JUNIOR MEN QUALIFIERS

Maxim Naumov 207
Ilia Malinin 202
Eric Sjoberg 197
Lucas Altieri 196
Liam Kapeikis 191
Joseph Kang 184
David Shapiro 176
Matthew Nielsen 175
Chase Finster 165
Goku Endo 162
Daniel Turchin 157
Seth Kurogi 127
----- (adding top 2 novice from each section)----
Joseph Klein 180
Daniel Martynov 164
Samuel Mindra 162
Robert Yampolsky 155
Jacob Sanchez 146
Kai Kovar 142

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I need to celebrate that Joonsoo Kim won Senior Men at Pacific Coast sectionals. :hap93:

With a total score above the scores of the other sectional champs, Jimmy Ma and Jordan Moeller. (I love all three.)

I also am especially excited for Dinh Tran to compete in Senior Men at Nats for the first time (same as Joonsoo).

But … I am super-sad :sad4: that Sebastien Payannet (sixth for Pacific Coast) will not advance to Nats this year. :ghug:
His skating is so lovely, and he is an admirable young man with a full-time career unrelated to skating.
I will miss him in Greensboro.

#letAndrewskate
#letBenskate
#letTonyskate
#letJunskate

Maybe we can send them all to 4CCs instead? ...

The answer re Four Continents is No, for more than one reason.

First and foremost, only scores from *international* competitions count toward the minimum TES requirements for Four Continents.
None of these four has international scores that meet the TES minimums for Four Continents.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need to celebrate that Joonsoo Kim won Senior Men at Pacific Coast sectionals. :hap93:

With a total score above the scores of the other sectional champs, Jimmy Ma and Jordan Moeller. (I love all three.)

I also am especially excited for Dinh Tran to compete in Senior Men at Nats for the first time (same as Joonsoo).

But … I am super-sad :sad4: that Sebastien Payannet (sixth for Pacific Coast) will not advance to Nats this year. :ghug:
His skating is so lovely, and he is an admirable young man with a full-time career unrelated to skating.
I will miss him in Greensboro.

The answer re Four Continents is No, for more than one reason.

First and foremost, only scores from *international* competitions count toward the minimum TES requirements for Four Continents.
None of these four has international scores that meet the TES minimums for Four Continents.

It was a joke. A bitter joke.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adding the qualifiers and the byes together, there will be just sixteen Senior Men at US Nationals. Sixteen. Not even three full warmup groups. And it's not like they don't have them, just the USFS for some stupid reason has decided they don't want them.

Please consider writing USFS along with me.

Does anyone know if Yaroslav Paniot is skating for the US now instead of Ukraine? Wasn't he Ukraine's no.1 skater? It's weird that he is skating at the pacific coast sectionals and nationals if he is still skating for Ukraine...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It was a joke. A bitter joke.

Given your very strong feelings, it was not obvious that it was a joke.

If you plan to include this bitter joke in your letter to USFS, I would respectfully suggest that you make clear that it is a bitter joke.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wait until I write a complete writeup of medalists who didn't make it, thanks to Sylvia Unseen. (must watch my Gracie first) I am *hot*. By the way, Andrew is the SILVER medalist and beat head to head a Senior man with a USA Jacket (no disrespect to Emanuel at all). Emanuel did not make the minimum TES this time but did earlier this season, so he will skate at Nationals. I hope at least Andrews USA Jacket is on it's way?
#letAndrewskate
#letBenskate

Maybe I am not "getting" your sense of (bitter) humor, and your comment re a Team USA jacket for Andrew also is a bitter joke.

In any case, will just mention that I do not think that Savary's Team USA jacket is from this season. He is not on the USFS ISP list this season.

Anyway, congratulations to Midwestern's top four: Jordan, Andrew, Emmanuel, and Ben.

And respect to Daniel Klaber for competing. (I wonder whether he would ever want to compete in ice dance again?)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please consider writing USFS along with me.

I will consider it. However, I fear the USFS would ignore me, as I am not American and not a member of their organisation.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe I am not "getting" your sense of (bitter) humor, and your comment re a Team USA jacket for Andrew also is a bitter joke.

In any case, will just mention that I do not think that Savary's Team USA jacket is from this season. He is not on the USFS ISP list this season.

I think moonvine has a right to be angry. While Andrew and Ben (as examples) have not yet made the TES internationally for 4CCs, their TES from sectionals proves they could do so...if given the chance. But the USFS is denying them the ability to even try for that chance by imposing a genuinely ridiculously high number in order just to skate at Nationals. Seriously, USFS' number is only six points lower than the Worlds TES.

It's not even about whether they have 4CC TES or not. Because they're being denied their right to compete for that chance. And I say "right" because, by the rules in every other year until now, they earned their spots at Nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will consider it. However, I fear the USFS would ignore me, as I am not American and not a member of their organisation.

I think they will ignore me as well. But if you look at the ladies - all the ladies medalists made the TES minimums. Clearly there is an issue here. Are the men that much worse than the ladies? Maybe - I don’t know. If that is the case - how will keeping them from Nationals help them to improve this?

I am still on step 1 of adult learn to skate. Sitting on the ice and getting back up. But I know enough to understand that many little girls want to be “ice princesses” and cultural norms in the USA make it more acceptable for little girls to skate. Boys, not as much. It is a very expensive sport, and men have many more options of sports in which to participate that are not only cheaper but may someday get them a scholarship to college. We all know USFS has no money to pay skaters. Punching their ticket to Nationals is a cheap (free?) way to reward them for their hard work.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Anyway, congratulations to Midwestern's top four: Jordan, Andrew, Emmanuel, and Ben.

And respect to Daniel Klaber for competing. (I wonder whether he would ever want to compete in ice dance again?)

I liked Daniel! Clearly he was not at the level of the other men but he definitely has performance quality, in my opinion. It also looked like he had no coach. Why did he quit ice dance, do you know?

And yes. Jacket for Andrew was a joke.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Given your very strong feelings, it was not obvious that it was a joke.

If you plan to include this bitter joke in your letter to USFS, I would respectfully suggest that you make clear that it is a bitter joke.

Thank you. I plan to wait several days to calm down before writing anything.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if Yaroslav Paniot is skating for the US now instead of Ukraine? Wasn't he Ukraine's no.1 skater? It's weird that he is skating at the pacific coast sectionals and nationals if he is still skating for Ukraine...

I would think so. Cab skaters who compete at US regionals, sectionals and Nationals also skate for other countries?