2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Makemi

Rinkside
Thanks @ice coverage! Oof that skate was rough but it's got potential. I'll be rooting for him at Nationals. Ganban Goku!:agree:

I really like Ilia Manilin. His landings are kind of wonky but I'm sure he'll work on that. He's very ambitious and I remember an article after Lake Placid where he said he wanted to put in a 4S this year. He's definitely hungry. I'm excited to see where he goes from here.

Although the junior that has my heart is Joseph Klein. :luv17: He doesn't quite have the difficulty yet but everything else is quality and you can really tell he loves to skate. This was filmed/posted back in October but I don't think it was posted in this thread (those who follow Sylvia or are on FSU might have seen it already). He's got a good head on his shoulders. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4D21raJ0XE/?igshid=1w6yvr8hs3yto

Please never change Joseph. ;)

alexaa

Final Flight
He looks good - very relaxed and happy!

I wonder if he is there to work with Lee Barkell or if Mike Hamada will be there or if he’s brushing up on choreography?

Hamada should be very busy with Rika for GPF now, so my guess is that he is brushing up choreography with Lori. Kurt did part of his StSq or chsq, so it is not surprising to see them together. He flew to Canada to rework on his both of his programs around this time last year. From the IG post of Morgan Cipres, Shae Lynn seemed to be in Charleston 2 days ago. So I guess he is working on his long program.

He probably move back to Colorado Springs or Japan after the finals. So it makes sense to brush up choreography now. His sister is in Boston, and his mom is with him this semester. The family probably spend the thanksgiving break in the east coast.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He looks good - very relaxed and happy!

I wonder if he is there to work with Lee Barkell or if Mike Hamada will be there or if he’s brushing up on choreography?

Lee is at Skate Canada Challenge right now, out in Edmonton.

readernick

Medalist
Thanks @ice coverage! Oof that skate was rough but it's got potential. I'll be rooting for him at Nationals. Ganban Goku!:agree:

I really like Ilia Manilin. His landings are kind of wonky but I'm sure he'll work on that. He's very ambitious and I remember an article after Lake Placid where he said he wanted to put in a 4S this year. He's definitely hungry. I'm excited to see where he goes from here.

Although the junior that has my heart is Joseph Klein. :luv17: He doesn't quite have the difficulty yet but everything else is quality and you can really tell he loves to skate. This was filmed/posted back in October but I don't think it was posted in this thread (those who follow Sylvia or are on FSU might have seen it already). He's got a good head on his shoulders. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4D21raJ0XE/?igshid=1w6yvr8hs3yto

Please never change Joseph. ;)

I second the Joseph Klein love. He is such a beautiful skater and his joy just comes through on the ice. He has time to increase his difficulty.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Lee is at Skate Canada Challenge right now, out in Edmonton.

Sorry - I forgot about challenge!

There is a link to an IG post in his fan thread - Vincent and Kurt Browning were invited to work at Granite Club.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Joseph Klein's cantilever where he leans his back parallel to and just inches off the ice and arches his neck is breathtaking. They should name it The Kleintilever. I think he and Ilia are a very bright future for US men indeed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron show alert :hap85::

On Thu Dec 5 in Boston, Max will be the guest star for the Frog Pond Skating Spectacular, 5:00 - 6:00 pm. :yay:
(Free show.)

"Following the performances, join Mayor Marty Walsh for the 78th Annual Tree Lighting on the Boston Common!"

https://bostonfrogpond.com/events/boston-common-tree-lighting-with-mayor-marty-walsh-2/

Thanks @ice coverage! Oof that skate was rough but it's got potential. I'll be rooting for him at Nationals. Ganban Goku!:agree: ...

Although the junior that has my heart is Joseph Klein. :luv17: ...

I too think that Goku Endo has potential. I hope that he can skate with fewer mistakes at Nats. :pray:

I am another fan of Joe Klein, who impressed me very much at JGP Lake Placid. (Off ice as well as on ice.)
And I like Ilia too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Jason's quad(s) are / is comoing along? REally his skating his amazing. He is the best "skater" out there now but for the jumps.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
There’s not been a peep. I did hear that he might have switched to focusing on the 4T but at this point I’m not sure he’ll ever have a quad.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Does anyone know how Jason's quad(s) are / is comoing along? REally his skating his amazing. He is the best "skater" out there now but for the jumps.

We don’t know. In interview Jason has said over the summer he was training a quad toe, quad sal and quad flip. Following car accident/concussion he has focused exclusively on the toe and sal. Obviously concussion threw a spanner in the works - he has not yet tried his quad in competition this season, though he has been attempting them at practices. At NHK there was a very obvious placeholder for a quad toe, so I think (and hope) we may see it or an attempt at Golden Spin.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
We don’t know. In interview Jason has said over the summer he was training a quad toe, quad sal and quad flip. Following car accident/concussion he has focused exclusively on the toe and sal. Obviously concussion threw a spanner in the works - he has not yet tried his quad in competition this season, though he has been attempting them at practices. At NHK there was a very obvious placeholder for a quad toe, so I think (and hope) we may see it or an attempt at Golden Spin.

Sadly we won’t see any of the US men at Golden Spin unless there are fan cams. There is apparently no live stream.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sadly we won’t see any of the US men at Golden Spin unless there are fan cams. There is apparently no live stream.

... and we figured out how Jason will land his first quad. Let's be honest programmers of the universe have a twisted sense of humor. I can totally see this happening. Jason finally gets a ratified quad....and none can dissect it! Few can comment on it... but it would be there... the legend of the ratified quad. I predict he will land it but we will have no more videographic evidence than bigfoot... only this will be real :pray:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am absolutely thrilled for Nathan Chen. He was amazing this afternoon and was rewarded with a huge score and leads after SP at the GPF. Congratulations on a wonderful performance! :cheer2::bow:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does anyone have a report on how Jason skated today? I've seen the scores but not the performance.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Does anyone have a report on how Jason skated today? I've seen the scores but not the performance.

Protocols here - Jason is currently in third- 3F, 3A, fell on the 3Lz< and missed his combo. Currently 1.85 off first place.
No footage that I've found though a twitter user has said they'll try and record his free.
Hoping for a stronger free!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason's 2nd place Golden Spin SP:
3f, 3a, 3z<-nc

Camden is in 5th with
2t*, 3a, 3z+3t

Alexei is in 7th with
4f!<, 3a, 3f+3lo<

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan was brilliant today! Incredible jumps ... the quad lutz is back. Beautiful technique. Soulful performance with emotion. I'm so looking forward to his FS and the great contrast. :dance3:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I couldn't help but notice that there are no Junior Men at the final. Do we have any young skaters coming up that can compete with the Russian Men?

princessalica

Final Flight
I think Illia Manilin might be able to possibly challenge next year. He did fairly well at the Lake Placid JPG. He was just off of the podium. And he needs to improve tech, but I think he is one to watch. Torgashev is also a junior, and I'm surprised that he didn't do better.