2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Ross74

Medalist
Jason is starting to remind me of 1978 World Champ Charlie Tickner

Is it the skating or the hair? :) I was a huge fan of Charlie's skating back in the day and any comparison to him would be a big compliment. Beautiful skater.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is starting to remind me of 1978 World Champ Charlie Tickner

That wouldn’t be due to his “kuri kuri” hair would it?

(A reference to a short television interview Jason gave in Japanese where he recounted that he learned from Satoko that his hair was kuri kuri. No, I don’t understand Japanese that is the translation that was kindly given :))

https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1198450783143878656?s=21

ETA: Ross74 and I both traveling in the wayback machine for Charlie’s curls;)

Last edited:

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it the skating or the hair? :) I was a huge fan of Charlie's back in the day and any comparison to him would be a big compliment. Beautiful skater.

Maybe a little bit about the hair, but also the dignity they both carried in their skating. They also use their hands similarly. My sis and I loved the Moonlight Sonata segments of his skates.

frida80

Record Breaker
I thought maybe it was you! :)

I am very grateful, too.

If only I could have that magical powers. I can’t believe GS wasn’t streamed. It seriously on of the best CS that consistently has top names. Having no stream was a crime.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Closing the loop on the YOG discussion:

Today USOPC announced the entire YOG team (96 members).

For men's figure skating, Ilia Malinin and Liam Kapeikis.
Of age-eligible men, they had the highest NQS scores.​

Off topic for this U.S. thread, but Patrick Chan is an official Athlete Role Model for YOG.

He has written a great essay with a warm welcome for YOG athletes to interact with him ("please, please don’t be shy about coming up to me to talk"), and with several pieces of advice. He also expresses appreciation for the opportunity to be a mentor. "I hope to learn from all of you just as much as you will hopefully learn from us."

Makemi

Rinkside
Closing the loop on the YOG discussion:

Today USOPC announced the entire YOG team (96 members).

For men's figure skating, Ilia Malinin and Liam Kapeikis.
Of age-eligible men, they had the highest NQS scores.​

What a fantastic opportunity for Ilia and Liam! Looks like the other countries are sending some of their top juniors too so this could be a nice pre-JWC sneak peak. Does anyone know of any live streams? (I presume it won't be on NBC gold).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What a fantastic opportunity for Ilia and Liam! Looks like the other countries are sending some of their top juniors too so this could be a nice pre-JWC sneak peak. Does anyone know of any live streams? (I presume it won't be on NBC gold).

Re YOG: "The Games will be broadcast on Olympic Channel daily, beginning with the Opening Ceremony on Jan. 9. In addition, OlympicChannel.com and the Olympic Channel app will offer live streams, replays and highlights."

Olympic Channel broadcast schedule for YOG includes listings for figure skating -- except for Men's FS and Pairs FS:

ETA:

Excerpt from the Olympic Channel page re YOG figure skating (which also has other good information):

How to watch figure skating at Youth Olympic Games

Olympic Channel will stream 300 hours of action from the 13 days of competition in Lausanne 2020 with a dedicated Winter YOG channel available on olympicchannel.com, YouTube and connected devices such as Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Android TV and Roku.

There will be an action-packed daily live show featuring news, highlights, trending stories and interviews in a fun and interactive format streamed on Facebook, Twitter and olympicchannel.com, plus a daily Olympic Channel Podcast featuring insightful interviews with personalities from across the Olympic world.

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/figure-skating-lausanne-2020-preview/ (Dec 17)​

Andrew Torgashev Makes Wishes Come True with Charity Auction

Bidding ends on Dec 24 for the skates hand-painted by Andrew.
He narrated a video showing him skating in the one-of-a-kind skates: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6B4prlpze5/ (Dec 13)
Per his comment on another video, the skates are size 9.5 with a 10 1/4 blade: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5yttdOJBBt/ (Dec 7)

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Thank you so much for giving us this clip of Jason. Since his move to Brain, he has really increased his speed and flow across the ice. He is so close to that quad and I hope he lands it at Nationals. :pray:

I do hope he gets a consistent quad. Unless he has a total breakdown, he should be safe for that 3rd spot at Worlds. He could even get that silver medal at Nationals. Is Zhou competing for sure?

sworddance21

On the Ice
Thank you so much for giving us this clip of Jason. Since his move to Brain, he has really increased his speed and flow across the ice. He is so close to that quad and I hope he lands it at Nationals. :pray:

He's really so mesmerizing to watch. There is never a moment when he is just skating around. Always 'ography and he's always committed to it.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
This makes sense since it puts him closer to Lori Nichol and with another Hamada student finding her way (Satoko).

The U.S. needs more high-level singles coaches.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
TheCanadian dollar might have a role; you get more bang for y u buck besides some good coaching.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TheCanadian dollar might have a role; you get more bang for y u buck besides some good coaching.

But you can’t work. You can’t coach. You can come back to US and do ice shows, but that’s not much money.