2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Any videos of Andrew or Emmanuel?

I haven’t seen any but will post if I do.

In many ways, Andrew looks like a senior man already. If he shows consistency this season, I’d be surprised if he isn’t sent to a senior B to get minimums for 4CCS or Worlds.

zebobes

Final Flight
Andrew's video has been found! https://www.instagram.com/p/BzR86Qll2P2/

I'm so astounded by the video. I completely lost track of how many spins he did... I'm not sure how different this is from his competitive program, but it is STUNNING. He has the emotional expression of Kevin Aymoz, with the skating skills of Jason Brown.

Since it was the Peggy Fleming competition, no Triple Axels, but it was a beautiful Double Axel. With Andrew, the question always is if he has finally figured out the Triple Axel or not, but still, I am excited.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Andrew could just get consistent jumps including the 3axel he would move into the top 4 US Men easily and if he starts landing quads more consistently too i think he starts challenging for World spots in the future.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, despite the fact that it’s still fairly early in the off season, I thought it would be fun to summarize what’s been going on, and see what we all think. I’ve listed the guys in order of their finishes at 2019 Nats.

Nathan (S1): No real news I’m aware of, but perhaps Oatmella will let us know if that’s wrong. He’s done a lot of shows so far this summer. It’s kind of odd to say about someone who was already World Champion, but by going undefeated last season - despite taking on school full time and training long distance - I think his stock has gone way up. He beat Hanyu head to head at Worlds. However, Hanyu is upping his tech content, Vincent seems to be rising fast, and Shoma is now working with Eteri. Can Nathan remain on top another year? Ice is slippery and all, but I think he has a really good shot.

Vincent(S2): Vincent’s meteoric rise in the second half of last season is kind of mind boggling, but with bronze medals at 4CCS and Worlds and a huge score at WTT, he seems firmly established as US number 2 - and possibly, as someone who can potentially challenge Nathan in the future. It goes without saying that his stock is way up, but news of his coaching arrangement and that he will matriculate at Brown this fall make it hard to predict how next season will go. Since he generally seems to be a second half skater, he may simply ease off during the fall and kick into high gear right before Nats. So far, his work with Hamada seems to have been fruitful, and it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Jason (S3): If Jason’s season had ended after the SP at Worlds - or if he had skated his 4CCs FS at Worlds - I think his stock would have gone up a bit. As it is, he’s probably the biggest question mark of all the US men, and I’d say his stock has either remained steady or fallen slightly. He’s clearly improved at TCC, and his 3A is miles better, but overall, we’ve seen the biggest improvement in areas he was already strong at. At 4CCs, it looked like he was making progress with his 4S, but he didn’t build on that progress at Worlds; his win at PFT, while nice, didn’t really give us any more information. Without a quad, he has a shot at the GPF, but not much of one. And with Andrew and Tomoki already showing improvement, Jason could find himself struggling to make the World Team next season. Still, I’m not ready to count him out.

Tomoki (S4): Tomoki had an up and down season, but ended it very strongly with a win at JWC and an impressive senior debut at 4CCS. The 4CC audience loved him, and he has a solid 4T which he’s able to put in combination, an interesting program choice next season, and two GP assignments. At Peggy Fleming, he did fine but was still in early season form and didn’t make a huge impression. I’d say his stock is definitely up, but at this point it’s hard to say how he’ll do on the GP or how strongly he can challenge for a spot on the Worlds Team.

Alexei (S5): Last season he was recovering from injury and did not look particularly strong. But he recently showed a clip of really interesting footwork from one of his new programs, and he looked like he’s working hard to master it. He only has one GP assignment right now, but could get the SA TBD. Right now, both Tomoki and Andrew look to be in a stronger position to get post-Nats assignments, but that could change if Alexei earns a spot at SA and does well at his fall assignments.

Andrew (S7): with his strong showing in two events at Broadmoor, Andrew’s stock has suddenly shot up. He won the jumps event and showed a strong 4T; just as important, at Peggy Fleming his PCS was astronomical, and very close to Jason’s. It’s early days yet, he’s staying junior internationally this fall, and he isn’t known for consistency, but right now, he looks best positioned of all the younger men to earn a spot at 4CCS and challenge Jason for that third Worlds spot.

Camden (S12): last season was rocky for Camden, but he earned two GP assignments, did well at Broadmoor, and seems eager to take the next step. He’s got a great 3A and a new coaching team, and looks well positioned for a good debut on the GP. Can he challenge for a post-Nats assignment? It’s probably too soon to say, but at the moment both Andrew and Tomoki appear more likely to challenge for those spots.

Sean Rabbitt (S8): Sean doesn’t have GP assignment; his coaching situation is unclear; and I don’t think he’s announced new programs. Is he continuing? I guess we’ll see when the field for Glacier Falls is announced. ETA per ice coverage, Sean has said he is competing at Glacier Falls, so good to know he’s not retiring just yet.

Jimmy Ma (S10): Jimmy did really well last summer, was rewarded with the TBD at SA, and then did poorly there. He just won the Broadmoor men’s competition, but it was against a weak field with a sub-200 score. However, he also was third in the jumps competition. If he does well again this summer could he get the SA TBD spot again? It’s possible, but I’d guess a Sr B assignment is more likely.

Emmanuel Savary (S11): Emmanuel was a mixed bag at Broadmoor. He placed last in the Men’s competition with a very low score against a weak field, but he did quite well at PFT, earning high PCS. He’s too old for juniors, but if he does well at a summer international, might he get a senior B assignment? Stay tuned.

Jordan Moeller (S13): Jordan is one of those guys who’s never lived up to his potential. He is currently performing in a show in Blackpool, England, hasn’t announced new programs, and it’s unclear if he’s following Kori to Nashville. Has he retired? Time will tell.

I left off the remaining senior men at Nats either because they’ve retired or because in my (possibly wrong) estimation they aren’t likely to be competitive internationally. I left off the other juniors because I don’t know enough about them.

Thoughts? :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t have time to give extensive thoughts now, but thanks @Tavi for the detailed review:clap:

Definitely much to ponder:think:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Andrew (S7): with his strong showing in two events at Broadmoor, Andrew’s stock has suddenly shot up. He won the jumps event and showed a strong 4T; just as important, at Peggy Fleming his PCS was astronomical, and very close to Jason’s. It’s early days yet, he’s staying junior internationally this fall, and he isn’t known for consistency, but right now, he looks best positioned of all the younger men to earn a spot at 4CCS and challenge Jason for that third Worlds spot. ...

Sean Rabbitt (S8): Sean doesn’t have GP assignment; his coaching situation is unclear; and I don’t think he’s announced new programs. Is he continuing? I guess we’ll see when the field for Glacier Falls is announced. ...

Emmanuel Savary (S11): Emmanuel was a mixed bag at Broadmoor. He placed last in the Men’s competition with a very low score against a weak field, but he did quite well at PFT, earning high PCS. He’s too old for juniors, but if he does well at a summer international, might he get a senior B assignment? Stay tuned. ...

Thoughts? :)

I am a huge fan of Andrew, and am very excited for him that he made his mark at both Peggy Fleming Trophy and Aerial Challenge. :hap85:
Little caveat (FWIW): Peggy Fleming Trophy (not surprisingly) has its own system of PCS. Among the differences from IJS PCS, the biggest seems to be that one of the PFT Components is OA [Overall Artistic/Creative Value] (instead of Transitions). Also not quite the same is what PFT wants to reward in terms of other Components.
I do hope that Andrew's great showing at PFT foreshadows a strong IJS season for him. :pray:

Sean recently said outright that he is competing at Glacier.
[And I think he did announce at least one of his programs? Don't have time to check now.]
He continues to gets "satellite coaching" from Gambill. With occasional in-person coaching from her. IIRC, he visited Colorado Springs within the last few weeks. [ETA: He was there for Governing Council in early May ... I could swear that I saw a photo of him on ice with Tammy at that time as well, but I can't find it.]

FYI for those going to IceWorks for Philadelphia Summer Championships and PSIC:
Emmanuel has competed in PSC (non-international) for at least the last two summers, IIRC.
If he does so again, I hope he will get some cheering from GS members. :yay:​

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am a huge fan of Andrew, and am very excited for him that he made his mark at both Peggy Fleming Trophy and Aerial Challenge. :hap85:
Little caveat (FWIW): Peggy Fleming Trophy (not surprisingly) has its own system of PCS. Among the differences from IJS PCS, the biggest seems to be that one of the PFT Components is OA [Overall Artistic/Creative Value] (instead of Transitions). Also not quite the same is what PFT wants to see in terms of other Components.
I do hope that Andrew's great showing at PFT foreshadows a strong IJS season for him. :pray:

Sean recently said outright that he is competing at Glacier.
[And I think he did announce at least one of his programs? Don't have time to check now.]
He continues to gets "satellite coaching" from Gambill. With occasional in-person coaching from her. IIRC, he visited Colorado Springs within the last few weeks.

FYI for those going to IceWorks for Philadelphia Summer Championships and PSIC:
Emmanuel has competed in PSC (non-international) for at least the last two summers, IIRC.
If he does so again, I hope he will get some cheering from GS members. :yay:​

Thanks, ice coverage. I updated my post to add that Sean has said he’ll be competing at GF, and when we get further news of his coaching / programs, I’ll update again.

I do know that PCS at PFT is not exactly the same as it is for regular IJS competitions. My judgment was really based on two things. First, seeing his performance live. He was impressive. Second, a panel that included at least three USFS international ISU judges put him quite close to Jason. Do I think he’ll get comparable PCS scores on the JGP or right off the bat in a senior international? No, even if he skates equally well. But based on last year’s scoring at Nats, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a big PCS number for him if he skates well.

The truth is, Andrew was just really on at PFT, more so than probably any other competitor except Sonja Hilmer. I felt like both Tomoki and Camden did well, but they didn’t grab me the way Andrew did. It goes without saying that that these are all my impressions from one competition, not absolute truth, and I’m sure that others will disagree. And to the extent that’s true, I welcome the discussion!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once again flitting in and out for Sean Rabbitt.

I did not see the IG story where he said he was going to Glacier Falls, but if he is in fact competing this year, that’s his club, so...

Programs: Sean posted a clip skating to Nessun Dorma on IG (I was hoping for a little less warhorsey, but OK....) in the comments, someone asked if it was his SP or LP, and his answer was something like “we’ll see, wink”.

The boy is playing with us:laugh:

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
I watched Andrew's PFT program and it was wonderful. Enjoyed it much more than Jason's program, TBH. But you can't really predict how he'll do in an IJS competition because the technical content was so low, only landing 2A, 3T2T, 3Lz. He skated well at the Egna Trophy this Spring but in the end still came behind Krasnozhon because he once again blew the short program.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Andrew has good skating skills, his 3A and 4T are good and his 4S is there. He can pass Jason if he gets stronger mentally. From the DOI 4S clips, Vincent is still landing forward on his toepick. Andrew may even threaten Vincent as the latter will be at the mercy of the tech panels.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Little caveat (FWIW): Peggy Fleming Trophy (not surprisingly) has its own system of PCS. Among the differences from IJS PCS, the biggest seems to be that one of the PFT Components is OA [Overall Artistic/Creative Value] (instead of Transitions). Also not quite the same is what PFT wants to reward in terms of other Components.

Actually, OA replaces CO - not transitions.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Andrew . . . his 3A and 4T are good and his 4S is there.

Are you basing this on one Aerial jump competition?

I think it's a very good sign for Andrew that he did a clean 3A here. (At least it sounds like he did. I haven't seen it). I've only seen him land one clean triple axel in competition. It is the main technical weakness he has had up through this season. If he can start executing the axel in performances this season, I think he will be more competitive than last season. His quad toe has been spotty; but better so if he can get the axel, it will be a very good improvement for him and make him more competitive in the junior field.

I think that's as far as I'm willing to go based on one competition, much less one in which he did not skate a regular SP or LP.

cohen-esque

Final Flight

If you look at the score sheet, it says SS TR IN PE OA across the top, but then at the bottom it says “TR=Composition,” which makes the five categories line up with those listed in the PFT description at ice coverage’s link. (I don’t know why the results sheet is formatted that way; surely they could have made all the headings accurate if they were able to have the OA score up top. Maybe they made a last minute change to the scoring as compared to last year’s event or something. EDIT: No, last year was the same PCS categories, so :confused2:.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If you look at the score sheet, it says SS TR IN PE OA across the top, but then at the bottom it says “TR=Composition,” which makes the five categories line up with those listed in the PFT description at ice coverage’s link. (I don’t know why the results sheet is formatted that way; surely they could have made all the headings accurate if they were able to have the OA score up top. Maybe they made a last minute change to the scoring as compared to last year’s event or something. EDIT: No, last year was the same PCS categories, so :confused2:.)

Thank you, cohen-esque.

The official PFT event page says:

Each of the five component marks will be evaluated with the following description.

Five Component Marks:

Skating Skills and Technique
- Skater’s ability to demonstrate the control and use of the blade through edge and flow, while executing a wide vocabulary of skating.

Composition
- Meaningful design/choreography which integrates and demonstrates artistic execution of jumps and spins.
- Skater’s ability to present clearly an idea or purpose. Design and patterns on the ice with full use of space/ice surface.

Performance
- Connection to the audience.
- The “ta-da moment”
- Lively and meaningful composition for audience appeal.

Interpretation
- Skater’s connection with the music.
- Expression of the character, feeling and mood of the music.

Overall Artistic/Creative Value
- Overall esthetic effect and performance of a complete artistic package.

The component score will comprise 60% of the total score.

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

TBH, I had overlooked what SnowWhite was pointing out -- that the results sheet has these abbreviations at the top of the columns:

Also had overlooked the notation pointed out by cohen-esque: TR = Composition.

I agree that it seems weird that they could not program the sheet to have CO = Composition.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I watched Andrew's PFT program and it was wonderful. Enjoyed it much more than Jason's program, TBH. But you can't really predict how he'll do in an IJS competition because the technical content was so low, only landing 2A, 3T2T, 3Lz. He skated well at the Egna Trophy this Spring but in the end still came behind Krasnozhon because he once again blew the short program.

Thanks for your input - I wasn’t aware that Andrew and Alexei competed at Egna Trophy this spring, so I didn’t consider it in my analysis above. But their results are definitely something to keep in mind as we think about next season.

I also think you’re right that because the technical content was so low at PFT, it’s hard to predict how that will translate to an IJS competition.

I can also see why you and others may have enjoyed Andrew’s program more than Jason’s. It’s a really good program and he gave a stellar performance.

I will say that the fact that Andrew choreographed his own program - and kudos to him for that - may have made it more successful than Jason’s (which was a reworked ex with music and choreo added).

I also think the difference in the performance levels could be due at least in part to the fact that Andrew trains in CS (meaning he’s used to the high altitude), whereas Jason, who no longer trains in altitude and was on his way back from two weeks in Beijing, was clearly conserving energy.

That said, you may just prefer Andrew, which is perfectly fine!

Tahuu

On the Ice
Are you basing this on one Aerial jump competition?

I think it's a very good sign for Andrew that he did a clean 3A here. (At least it sounds like he did. I haven't seen it). I've only seen him land one clean triple axel in competition. It is the main technical weakness he has had up through this season. If he can start executing the axel in performances this season, I think he will be more competitive than last season. His quad toe has been spotty; but better so if he can get the axel, it will be a very good improvement for him and make him more competitive in the junior field.

I think that's as far as I'm willing to go based on one competition, much less one in which he did not skate a regular SP or LP.

He has had 3A and 4T for 3-4 years? He just couldn't land the jumps in competitions. If he becomes confident maybe things will click.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He has had 3A and 4T for 3-4 years? He just couldn't land the jumps in competitions. If he becomes confident maybe things will click.

He was sidelined with injuries for quite awhile though, no? In any case, he looked very confident at PFT.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK.

I adore Andrew T. I started his FF. I’ve been on the Andrew T. train for years now. Choo choo! if any of you are now Andrew T. fans, come join us at the FF.:)

But this comp, which Jason won after all, :cheer:I’m afraid does not necessarily signal the “resurgence” of Andrew T.

First, Jason’s performance was not full on Jason. He had been in China probably until two days before the comp, if social media is correct. He reworked a two year old exhibition to fit with the Peggy Fleming requirements. And it’s one of his more contemplative exhibitions. I am shocked and amazed, in a good way, that Jason skated as well as he did,

I have only seen fancams, but Andrew T., from what I can see, did what he does when he is “on”: full blown engagement, dramatic arm movements, commitment to artistry. Which is what PFT was looking for. Yay PFT. Yay Andrew. :clap:But Andrew was skating at “home”, no travel, and trying out his new SP, rather than an old exhibition.

If you like what you saw here, may I recommend watching his FS of the last two years to Roxanne? The step sequence there is of a piece with his program here. I adored that program, still do:luv17: and AFAIK Andrew did not once skate it clean:sad21:

I look forward to seeing both of my two favorite US men’s skaters this year:yes:

P/S Andrew was out for an entire year (2015? 2016?) for surgery and recovery. He’s always tried a quad, but landing it, not so much. Maybe this year :pray:

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
He was out for the 2015-16 season.

He didn't have either an axel or a quad in his programs prior to that particular injury, though I believe it was announced that he was injured practicing a quadruple jump.

He has been trying them in competition for (scrolling my brain) the three seasons since. Has landed at least two clean quad toes in international competition on the JGP. Landed a clean triple axel in the SP at Nationals in 2017.

He was injured for about half of last season, pulling out of the JGPF and not able to get back in time to qualify via the qualifying system for Nationals this past winter.

The first time I saw Andrew skate was in the novice competition at Nationals in 2014. He finished 10th in the SP and 2nd in the LP. This was before he ever started competing an axel or a quad. For this reason, I am not particularly convinced that his inconsistency is tied to specific jumps. Though I would think that mastering the axel could certainly help. This will be an interesting season for him as a competitor, as he is now the only experienced JGP medalist left on the U.S. men's junior team. Different expectations and different opportunities. I'm glad that it looks like he is back healthy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More re Sean Rabbitt:

For 2019-2020, he is listed for Team C envelope funding from USFS.​

Once again flitting in and out for Sean Rabbitt.

I did not see the IG story where he said he was going to Glacier Falls ...

It was not a quick Instastory. Sean mentioned within a longer Insta Live that he will be competing at Glacier Falls. I don't remember his exact wording but the idea seemed to be that going public with his intention to do so was kind of like underlining his "no turning back" commitment to himself, if you know what I mean.