2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

alexaa

Final Flight
Tavi, I have a question for you

In this article, Jason was quoted saying he is having new boots, not sure if he is going to keep them. Is he settled in his boots now?
I have new boots, but I don’t know if I’m keeping them. I’m in the limbo mode right now. With the shows being every weekend, it’s hard to make technical changes and then come back to the shows, and go half and half in both.

http://figureskatersonline.com/news...sed-on-off-season-training-over-show-skating/

For new program debut, since Nathan wouldn’t attend the Sun Valley show until August 10th this year, he probably would debut his program at the Ice Show, which is at the end of July. He hasn’t got his long program yet. But I am at least expecting the SP at the end of the July.

Not sure about Tomoki

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Responding to myself to add that we don’t know exact dates for Champs Camp (last year it was Aug 18-23, but USFS has not updated its website), but we do know it will be held in California this year. The fact dates aren’t published makes me wonder if we’ll get even less info on it than we did last year - maybe not even fluff.

Since Jason is scheduled for July 27 at Sun Valley, I’m pretty sure we won’t see him at Skate Detroit or Philly. Since Nathan’s been doing a ton of shows, is at Sun Valley August 10, and probably starts school at end of August, I’d guess the same for him. But maybe they will debut their SPs or new exhibitions at Sun Valley.

Since Jimmy Ma is on the ISP and has no assignments and Alexei K only has one GP assignment, I’m guessing they’re competing for SA (maybe also Sean or Emmanuel?) and we’ll see both of them again at least once more this summer, maybe at Detroit or Philly? Jimmy won Broadmoor, but there were only three competitors and his score was quite low - not enough to win the TBD I don’t think

Since Andrew T, Tomoki, Emmanuel, and Camden all train in Colorado now, I’m wondering if we’ll see them at Glacier Falls with Sean.

Not sure about Vincent.

Right now I’m enjoying relaxing poolside �� on this holiday weekend, but I’m eagerly looking forward to next season!

Jimmy Ma is not on the ISP currently.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Vincent already debuted his new SP at one of the Dreams On Ice shows but he skated his exhibition program for the broadcast. He, Nathan, and Tomoki are also appearing in The Ice at the end of July but I don't know the broadcast schedule for that show.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Thanks, my mistake - I think I saw that he is Envelope Team C and just assumed.

@bonita, a few months ago Jason switched from Jackson Boots/Ultima blades to Edea Piano boots/ Gold Seal blades. As far as I can tell, he was still in the Edea boots at Broadmoor but had switched back to his old blades. Not sure if he’s still deciding about the Edeas or whether he’s going to stick with them.

@sheetz, do you have a link to Vincent’s new short program?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Responding to myself to add that we don’t know exact dates for Champs Camp (last year it was Aug 18-23, but USFS has not updated its website), but we do know it will be held in California this year. The fact dates aren’t published makes me wonder if we’ll get even less info on it than we did last year - maybe not even fluff.

… Since Jimmy Ma is on the ISP and has no assignments and Alexei K only has one GP assignment, I’m guessing they’re competing for SA (maybe also Sean or Emmanuel?) and we’ll see both of them again at least once more this summer, maybe at Detroit or Philly? Jimmy won Broadmoor, but there were only three competitors and his score was quite low - not enough to win the TBD I don’t think

Since Andrew T, Tomoki, Emmanuel, and Camden all train in Colorado now, I’m wondering if we’ll see them at Glacier Falls with Sean.

Not sure about Vincent. ...

Everything below is in the realm of speculation and FWIW ... but my two cents are:

- I am reasonably optimistic that the faithful Lynn Rutherford once again will attend Champs Camp to conduct interviews. (As always, doing as much as she can under the limitations of restricted access for media.)
Reminder to all that some of Lynn's material from past Champs Camps has been for use for articles further into the season (for example, previews/reports on Challengers or GPs, as well as features).
And that Lynn (understandably) has been selective when posting on social media from Champs Camp. If Skater X has not been mentioned in her tweets/Instagrams from CC, it should not be taken as a sign that she did not interview X or is not interested in X.
- Side note that I believe Sora Hwang has moved on from USFS? I don't know whether her departure would have something to do with the lack of updating on the USFS website?? (I am just speaking realistically -- I wish of course that someone else at USFS had updated the site, whether her successor is in place or not. And I hope that USFS will be offering fluff from Great Park Ice.)

- I am half-"expecting" Camden at Philadelphia International and Emmanuel at Philadelphia Summer Championships -- based on their presence there the last couple of years. Vincent has referred to the possibility of a "summer international," so maybe Philadelphia International??? He skated at official practice at IceWorks for the 2017 edition, but IIRC, ended up withdrawing (before the SP?). (If Camden and Vincent both go, they would be a two-fer for Tammy.)
el henry already posted about Torgashev's history re Philadelphia, and I too think the chances of his return look good. :)
(Other than Sean, I have no idea about Glacier, one way or the other. Glacier plus Philadelphia could be a scenario for one or more skaters.)​

sheetz

Record Breaker
Vincent has shows in Japan through the first weekend of August so will not be able to do Philly.

alexaa

Final Flight
I think Sora Hwang moved on from her USFS job before March. She sent a congratulatory tweet to Nathan on March 23rd after his win at worlds.
https://twitter.com/sora_hwang/status/1109431662616690688?s=20

I’ve been saving this tweet for three months to use on this occasion, but since I don’t work there anymore:

some of y’all didn’t watch @nathanwchen defend his world title and it shows. congrats, champ ��

She also had this emotional IG post on March 19th about her first time to be on the sideline from the worlds and thanking all skaters/athletes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvNR0BonGpD/?igshid=1ea05cnopx7rb

Zenchio63

Final Flight
The inaccuracies in these interviews came from Vincent’s assumptions about Nathan.

Which assumptions are you talking about that lead to inaccuracies?

“I want to say my situation and his situation are a little different. I don’t want to make any assumptions. I believe he trains at Yale. They have an ice rink for him. Brown’s ice rink, the time is all rented out to local hockey teams. I can skate at either 7 a.m. or 12 a.m. So that means I have to commute every day. I will only be able to train one session every day.”

That doesn't sound like Vincent saying Nathan has full access to the Yale rink, all of the time. The fact that the available hours do not match up to his class schedule is beside the point.

From my understanding Nathan gets 1.5 hours per day at the Yale rink all to himself, plus access when the rink is not in use by anyone else. Because he's by himself he can do all the run-throughs and jumps he wants to without having to worry about dodging around other skaters. This is a luxury very few other skaters have.

So overall, Nathan still has better access to the Yale rink than Vincent's situation at Brown will be, according to the schedule. Doesn't sound like he is trying to make it out that Nathan has it all good and convenient.

“Because I am not No. 1 in the U.S., I don’t have the chance to pick what competitions I go to,” Zhou noted. “I can’t just pick my break weeks to go to Grand Prix."

None of my friends (not all Vincent fans) nor I got the impression that Vincent was saying Nathan has it all easy. Anyone who follows figure skating knows the host countries have top pick. Of course NHK would go with Yuzu. There is no guarantee that Nathan would get all his picks and Vincent knows that. But the matter still stands, Nathan gets to choose first, whether the host countries would make other choices is beside the point.

I did get a somewhat 'woe is me' vibe from some of the statements Vincent made (or the way it was phrased in that article), which I felt was rather uncalled for, since Nathan's situation isn't as favourable as they made it sound and also given the fact that Vincent attending Brown is just temporary.

Uncalled for? The fact that you got that VIBE speaks a lot about your own mindset. None of my friends nor I read anything from Vincent's interviews that says Nathan has it all good and convenient while he has to suffer, as you imply. He was simply trying to point out the different situations between his schooling and Nathan's, which is totally understandable. Vincent wasn't trying to spread false information nor make comparisons. The interviewers are the ones that naturally would bring Nathan up, so he was simply pointing out the differences.

“I feel like it is kind of a different situation between me and him,” Zhou continued. “All props to him for accomplishing what he has done while attending Yale. That’s incredible. In my mind it doesn’t compare that well. I do look forward to the challenge.”

To clarify, none of the Vincent fans think Nathan has it easy and we do not read any of Vincent's latest articles/interviews that imply so. It is clear Nathan is a role model for both Vincent and Karen and other skaters who want to pursue school, and we all applaud him for setting the current trend.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Vincent has shows in Japan through the first weekend of August so will not be able to do Philly.

Thanks, I had not realized.

… From my understanding Nathan gets 1.5 hours per day at the Yale rink all to himself, plus access when the rink is not in use by anyone else. Because he's by himself he can do all the run-throughs and jumps he wants to without having to worry about dodging around other skaters. This is a luxury very few other skaters have.

… That doesn't sound like Vincent saying Nathan has full access to the Yale rink, all of the time. ...

... None of my friends nor I read anything from Vincent's interviews that says Nathan has it all good and convenient while he has to suffer, as you imply. He was simply trying to point out the different situations between his schooling and Nathan's, which is totally understandable. Vincent wasn't trying to spread false information nor make comparisons. The interviewers are the ones that naturally would bring Nathan up, so he was simply pointing out the differences.

“I feel like it is kind of a different situation between me and him,” Zhou continued. “All props to him for accomplishing what he has done while attending Yale. That’s incredible. In my mind it doesn’t compare that well. I do look forward to the challenge.” ...

In terms of this discussion, I think "accommodated" is a key word from the NYT article about Nathan at Yale.

... Yale officials accommodated his training needs by offering an afternoon window of ice time at Ingalls Rink, the on-campus home of the men's and women's hockey teams …
For most of his post-lunch, hourlong practice at Ingalls, Chen has the facility to himself, except for a women's hockey player who ran up and down the arena steps …
The serenity of the setting suits Chen, who said these solo sessions have allowed him to renew his relationship with the ice and deepen his connection to his music.
"I kind of feel like when no one's watching I feel the most attuned to my skating," he said …

I think what Vincent probably had in mind is that Yale to some extent has accommodated Nathan, whereas it apparently is a different story for Vincent at Brown. Plus not incidentally, Nathan credits his solo sessions at the Yale rink with helping him in specific ways.

I also would mention that Karen strongly emphasized in a recent Insta Live that (I'm paraphrasing) ultimately she will have to find her own way (so to speak) at Cornell. Although she has talked to her chum Nathan, she fully recognizes that it is possible that her circumstances at Cornell will be completely different from his at Yale -- and it is possible that his situation will have zero applicability to hers. (Again, I am paraphrasing.)

I think Sora Hwang moved on from her USFS job before March. ...

Yes, I remember some of Sora's social media from around then.
A few months have elapsed, but at least per the USFS website, no one currently on staff has the same title that she did. Maybe USFS still is searching for the right person … or maybe job descriptions within the department were reconfigured after she left.

I just hope that whatever personnel changes are/were afoot, they do not represent a step backward in keeping fans informed. :pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So from what I’ve been able to gather, Sean Rabbitt, Ryan Dunk, and Emanuel Savary are all competing as senior men at Glacier Falls. I did not see their SPs, but scores were posted on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/seanrabbittcafe/status/1152445784480075778

This account (Japanese fan club) has also posted quite a few comments about / pictures of Sean at GF.

Haribobo posted impressions in the GF thread. Maybe Haribobo will copy them here later. Briefly, it sounds like Sean’s program was very entertaining, Ryan Dunk has lots of potential (he included 3A in program), and Emmanuel skated beautifully but had some jump issues.

I haven’t seen videos of these three, but if anyone wants to watch the FS later today, there is a paid livestream (I don’t think it’s archived though):

https://www.coronadoproductions.net/

It looks like cost is $7 and you’re supposed pay about 15 minutes in advance. As far as I can tell from the schedule (which you can view when you click on the purchase link (scroll way down for rink 2 info), Senior men are skating at 7:30 pm pacific time. Junior men (including Stephen Gogolev) and junior and senior ladies (including Alysa Liu) all compete earlier.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean evidently had a very rough night at the Glacier Falls free :sad21: His IG post was honest and heartbreaking and made me respect him even more:

"Tonight was possibly the hardest night of my athlete career. �� To make so many mistakes, the most mistakes I’ve ever made, was difficult physically, emotionally, and mentally. For the first time in my career, I wished I could stop and leave the ice during my skate. .... To have to keep your head held high leaving the ice or entering the lobby when all you want to do is hang your head and run away. ....

Of course terrible performance doesn’t define me as a skater, my character, or anything...in a week it will all be forgotten, I know this. But in this moment, knowing I didn’t meet the goal I set out to achieve, something I don’t know if I will have the chance to ever achieve again, I am not sure how to process what happened. I am strong, and I will move on, and I will rise from this. ❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0KwnX5lNbx/

I applaud his honesty and courage in posting. Sean has given us so many memorable moments skating, he will absolutely not be defined by one disappointing skate. :clap: I do hope he gets the opportunity to skate again :pray:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sean evidently had a very rough night at the Glacier Falls free :sad21: His IG post was honest and heartbreaking and made me respect him even more:

"Tonight was possibly the hardest night of my athlete career. �� To make so many mistakes, the most mistakes I’ve ever made, was difficult physically, emotionally, and mentally. For the first time in my career, I wished I could stop and leave the ice during my skate. .... To have to keep your head held high leaving the ice or entering the lobby when all you want to do is hang your head and run away. ....

Of course terrible performance doesn’t define me as a skater, my character, or anything...in a week it will all be forgotten, I know this. But in this moment, knowing I didn’t meet the goal I set out to achieve, something I don’t know if I will have the chance to ever achieve again, I am not sure how to process what happened. I am strong, and I will move on, and I will rise from this. ❤️"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0KwnX5lNbx/

I applaud his honesty and courage in posting. Sean has given us so many memorable moments skating, he will absolutely not be defined by one disappointing skate. :clap: I do hope he gets the opportunity to skate again :pray:

I finally had a chance to search for the scores and was really shocked to see Sean's final score. I know he was hoping for a host pick for a GP. This makes it harder, I fear. He's such a nice guy and a really good skater. I hope he gets another chance to show what he can do.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I'm starting to feel confused as to whether not being on the published ISP list is an absolute deal breaker?

Ice dancers Tkachenko/Kiliakov are not on it, but as of today, the USFS assignments page shows that they are assigned to the first JGP.

So I hope that maybe Jimmy Ma still has a shot at Philadelphia International regardless? :pray:

T/K's JGP assignment is very understandable after they did well at Cannon Texas Open a week ago. Good for them. :)
The thing is that USFS has had plenty of time to add them to the published ISP list, but it has not (yet) done so.

(I do recall that Gracie was not on the published ISP list before her GP assignment last season, but at the time, I chalked it up to a special thing of not wanting to stir up chatter about her before announcement of GP assignments.)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm starting to feel confused as to whether not being on the published ISP list is an absolute deal breaker?

Ice dancers Tkachenko/Kiliakov are not on it, but as of today, the USFS assignments page shows that they are assigned to the first JGP.

Tkachenko & Kiliakov almost definitely earned the required score to be added to the ISP at the Texas Cannon Open. They outscored Ales & Tsarik's score from Nationals by over 5 points, and I'm pretty sure that score was how Ales & Tsarik made the ISP. Also a poster on FSU said he/she had heard the new required score for making the ISP was @126 for junior dance. May not be exact, but it makes sense as I believe the previous one was in the low twenties, maybe even only 120. Anyway, Tkachenko & Kiliakov's score at Texas Cannon was 138.08. Now they are assigned an event. I think pretty clearly the ISP list just hasn't been updated.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My point was and is that it seems possible (IMO) that Jimmy has met whatever the criteria/criterion are/is for the ISP, without appearing on the published list. And that he too would be eligible for an international assignment.