Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition | Golden Skate

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release:

OTTAWA, ON: Three-time Canadian ice dance champions Kaitlyn Weaver, 30, Toronto, Ont., and Andrew Poje, 32, Waterloo, Ont., have decided to step away from competition for the time being. Weaver and Poje will use their time away from the grand prix and challenger series events to evaluate their future plans and will provide an update on their career later this season. The team has competed internationally for Canada since 2006, attending two Olympic Winter Games (2014, 2018).

Weaver and Poje are three-time world medallists, winning their most recent world medal at the 2018 world championships. The two-time Grand Prix Final champions are coached by Nikolai Morozov, Igor Shpilband and Pasquale Camerlengo and train in Hackensack, NJ, USA.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Press Release:

OTTAWA, ON: Three-time Canadian ice dance champions Kaitlyn Weaver, 30, Toronto, Ont., and Andrew Poje, 32, Waterloo, Ont., have decided to step away from competition for the time being. Weaver and Poje will use their time away from the grand prix and challenger series events to evaluate their future plans and will provide an update on their career later this season. The team has competed internationally for Canada since 2006, attending two Olympic Winter Games (2014, 2018).

Weaver and Poje are three-time world medallists, winning their most recent world medal at the 2018 world championships. The two-time Grand Prix Final champions are coached by Nikolai Morozov, Igor Shpilband and Pasquale Camerlengo and train in Hackensack, NJ, USA.

I saw this on a news flash. I am very saddened. I like this team. This team constantly got lost in the shuffle in the past and currently. I was hoping we would see them medal in Montreal in 2020.

There are so many good ice dance team. This team deserved an olympic team medal but it never worked out for them to compete. They barely missed the 2010 olympics and then lost by like.11 a world title to the Italians. Now they were left struggling against all the American teams, the up and coming Russians, the Italians and their teammates from Canada Gilles and Porier. Always in the shadow of Virtue and Moir.

Of course I wish them well. My mind is clicking and thinking with Canada not looking so good in the team situation - may not even qualify for WTT they may not find motivation to come back. I was hoping they might find a new coach and come back reinvigorated with a new passionate free dance.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was hoping to see them in Montreal in 2020, too, but at least they didn't completely rule out coming back. It'll be interesting to see who steps up to Canada #3 this season with G/P assumedly in #1 and FB/S in #2.

A long career and a successful one. Everyone liked them, even fans of other dance teams. If they decide to retire, they will do so with a legacy well-earned.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I'm not entirely surprised to see this as they are getting up there in age (relatively speaking, of course) and likely will find it hard to compete against younger, stronger teams (like Papadakis/Cizeron). I've always enjoyed their skating a great deal - I love their lyrical style and their connection to each other. I wish them the very best in the future... and if they choose to come back to compete for another season, I will be cheering them on! :biggrin:

Ziotic

Medalist
I was hoping to see them in Montreal in 2020, too, but at least they didn't completely rule out coming back. It'll be interesting to see who steps up to Canada #3 this season with G/P assumedly in #1 and FB/S in #2.

It will be a close race between S/F and L/L

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Aww, I was hoping they'd go to Montreal worlds too!

I still wish that they had been included in the PyeongChang team event.
I hope they have a very happy future whether they decide to return to competition or not! :hap10:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I'm really sad, I really liked them and thought they had some great programmes. Just really unfortunate that they were always kind of in the shadow of Tessa and Scott, however they still have a really impressive record and have achieved amazing results. I will miss seeing Andrew's face though.
I wonder if this means they'll do the Rock the Rink tour?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It will be a close race between S/F and L/L

Too early to tell. Think they are both signed up for the Quebec Summer Event, and it is possible they could both be at SC. The latter would be a better indicator, I think, as it is an international event; but I have a feeling SC might find a way to get a second non-host spot for one of these two teams now that W&P are out.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I don't know why I'm so surprised, I think I expected this kind of announcement after WC in Milan, not now... On the other hand, the press release says they step away from the Grand Prix and Challenger series, is there still hope for 4CC and Montreal? Provided they start their training early enough, of course.

Anyway, wishing them all the best, they will be missed!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Damn. One of my all-time favorite teams, and I was so looking forward to being a part of a rapturous crowd giving them the reception they deserve as they closed out their career at their home Worlds in 2020

Bravo, Kaitlyn and Andrew, and thank you for sharing your beautiful, uniquely passionate skating with us.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Too early to tell. Think they are both signed up for the Quebec Summer Event, and it is possible they could both be at SC. The latter would be a better indicator, I think, as it is an international event; but I have a feeling SC might find a way to get a second non-host spot for one of these two teams now that W&P are out.
With W/P out, two of the three Canadian spots at SCI will be Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen.

For the third spot, that might go to Sales/Wamsteeker (who likely wouldn't get anything otherwise), or one of Lajoie/Lagha and Soucisse/Firus, who are each guaranteed one and will probably get two.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Damn. One of my all-time favorite teams, and I was so looking forward to being a part of a rapturous crowd giving them the reception they deserve as they closed out their career at their home Worlds in 2020

Bravo, Kaitlyn and Andrew, and thank you for sharing your beautiful, uniquely passionate skating with us.

I hope they still go to worlds. Skipping the grand prix, does not mean retirement.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I hope they still go to worlds. Skipping the grand prix, does not mean retirement.

Much as I hope you are right, Jeanie19, that announcement sounds awfully final to me. The most I could see is, maybe, maybe, them being semi-retired for a year or two and coming back to anchor the Canadian team in the team event in Beijing. ( Not that they have been given the opportunity to do the team event (and earn the resulting Olympic medal) in the past, but who knows, perhaps their absence will make Skate Canada’s heart grow fonder....)

Roast Toast

Medalist

With the new Skate Canada guidelines, skipping the GP makes them ineligible for the world team. This is goodbye I'm afraid.

I'm shocked as I thought for sure they planned to retire in Montreal. I'm guessing their hands were forced by their complicated coaching situation. Morozov is no longer capable of providing the infrastructure or even choreography for a top level ID team (also he's gross) and they were turned away from Montreal. I thought we would perhaps see them with Marina this fall, but I guess they couldn't make it happen. The RTR cash probably also played a part, as surely they'll make the tour now.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
A long career and a successful one. Everyone liked them, even fans of other dance teams. If they decide to retire, they will do so with a legacy well-earned.

You should see twitter..people don't like them and are celebrating them going away. :/