Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was a tweet on the Rock the Rink account that said there was a scheduling conflict. They thought it could be worked out, but it couldn't.

I don't have the reference now, but it was shortly after the cast was initially announced.

Maybe someone can search twitter for it. I can't search effectively because I don't have a twitter account.

believed

On the Ice

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Anna is following the post Olympic trend and is pregnant. (I have no idea)

They probably need more jumpers (pairs and singles and not ice dancers. They have popular dancers in V and M and if Weapo join they don't really need another non jumping team. C and L are good skaters but they don't have the appeal of P/C or quirkiness of GP.But if it is for scheduling I don't think it will hurt RTR too much. If they have Kaetlyn and say Carolina they would be far better off.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
C and L are good skaters but they don't have the appeal of P/C or quirkiness of GP.

Sorry? C&L are fabulous show performers. They may not have the big name ticket-selling appeal outside of Italy, but they frequently win the crowd--especially during exhibitions. They would be an asset to any show, IMO. (And how is rolling around on the ice battling over a blanket not equally quirky to G&P? C&L have a really wide range of styles within their gala numbers).

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Seems like Kaitlyn helped out a little bit on Gabby's short program while Gabby was working with Lori. Kaitlyn mentioned getting "mentorship" from Lori for a week. Maybe she's interested in coaching/choreography?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Seems like Kaitlyn helped out a little bit on Gabby's short program while Gabby was working with Lori. Kaitlyn mentioned getting "mentorship" from Lori for a week. Maybe she's interested in coaching/choreography?

That's awesome. Thinking of the future. I honestly thought they would skate one more year since world's is in Canada. Listening to Megan Duhamel on TSL and I appreciate her transparency she said that though it may be altruistic that we believe skaters retire because they want too she said they do look at their chances of winning,t he competition,direction their skating is going and that such things as the Russians, Americans and the dominancy of the French undoubtedly would be factored as well as the rising of GP. I guess its life though Megan can't be a mind reader her honesty is refreshing and maybe truthful about mankind. There are only so many medals. I wonder if Weapo would try skating at one more olympics and if Team Canada would let them try for the team event - though I guess that might be teh challenge would Canada even make it let alone be in the medal hunt.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is sad news indeed, especially for us Canadian fans. I've enjoyed watching them develop and mature over the years. Perhaps, this is just a temporary break? I enjoyed seeing them recently in Stars On Ice. No matter what Kaitlyn and Andrew decide, I wish them the best.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
That's too bad. I saw them for the first time at WTT and they have a real quality to their skating that I enjoyed.

timdalton

Match Penalty
Right decision. They are very nice people but lets face it, they were already peaked and regressing. Gilles & Poirier and Fourier Beaudry & Sorensen were likely to push them down to 3rd in Canada this year.

timdalton

Match Penalty
I should have worded that better.

Gilles & Poirier have beaten Guignard & Fabbri at the past 6 World Championships.

So when they go head to head, G&P are the top team.

Guignard & Fabbri are really the better team. The judging is so biased. Guignard & Fabbri are also clearly a better team than Capellini & Lanotte, but the latter were more popular with judges for reasons that escape me. Anna's skating skills are abysmal for a top team, let alone a World Champion. In a fair world G&F probably would have overtaken them as Italian #1 before they even retired. G&F have to overearn any medals or placings they get. How the judges treated them at worlds after an amazing season was disgusting.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You should see twitter..people don't like them and are celebrating them going away. :/

TO each their own but really this is a harmless nice team. They don't make overly strong comments or opinions so I am surprised that people don't like them. I think of Virtue and Moir or Savchenko (because you either love her aggressiveness and desire to win or not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You should see twitter..people don't like them and are celebrating them going away. :/

twitter is filled with people who have not much else to do than ridicule and belittle people... it's so easy to do so anonymously.

I am betting it's probably because Weapo were a threat to their faves no matter who their faves are.... from piper and paul even, to the french, or the americans... weapo have been in top 5 for so many years.. they have won gpf more often than v/m... so you can imagine a bunch of people celebrating their "retirement" as it opens up the top five... i wouldn't judge their character based on those happy twitter meanies celebrating their departure... Weapo are extremely kind and respected in the figure skating family. I met them and I can tell you I have rarely seen athletes so open, available and humble.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
twitter is filled with people who have not much else to do than ridicule and belittle people... it's so easy to do so anonymously.

I am betting it's probably because Weapo were a thread to their faves no matter who their faves are.... from piper and paul even, to the french, or the americans... weapo have been in top 5 for so many years.. they have won gpf more often than v/m... so you can imagine a bunch of people celebrating their "retirement" as it opens up the top five... i wouldn't judge their character based on those happy twitter meanies celebrating their departure... Weapo are extremely kind and respected in the figure skating family. I met them and I can tell you I have rarely seen athletes so open, available and humble.

They have always struck me as lovely people. And they should have won Worlds over C/L (I blame Anna's wonder of a skirt). But the fact is, the door was open for them to rise to the very top for at least 2 years, and they didn't capitalize on the opportunities. And I say that as a big fan of the team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i agree.. they made their choices and some of them were not rewarded... but then, why the hate on twitter??? seriously... people who did that certainly are worried about their fave dancers... they did it to patrick too... let's hate on him because he can really hurt our beloved skater...