2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Interesting. I wonder how that will go over because despite them being in second, their score was less than what they got on the grand prix. It just wasn't the best skated event :/

It really wasn't. But even if I don't like the program, H/D's RD has been the stronger one of the two, so that isn't a good sign. One thing's for certain, if they haven't improved the stationary + rotational lift during Lady Gaga's big solo in Shallow to make it more of a moment, then they're in trouble. In general, I've found their lifts really weak and repetitive in the past few seasons.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting. I wonder how that will go over because despite them being in second, their score was less than what they got on the grand prix. It just wasn't the best skated event :/

EVERYBODY got less than they got in the Grand Prix events. The tech and judging panels were very stingy compared to those panels in the earlier Grand Prix events. Consider that all the finalists came from countries hosting GP events, and all received very high marks on home ice, which in turn boosted even the also-ran marks.

And none of the finalists are now skating on home ice so we have at least parity.

Shani

On the Ice
I didn't get to watch due to my substandard nbc sports gold package. But I am very happy about the close scores here as though the judges are being watched themselves. I love Chock and Bates, Gilles Poirier freedances. Lets see what happens.

slider11

Medalist
I think Hubbell and Donahue's hot and steamy themes are getting old. Every team has their strengths in terms of style but a little variety might help unless they are really banking on the sex-appeal to mask any deficiencies. They are strong skaters but sometimes get sloppy with their bold, very dramatic moves. This might be Chock and Bates' year with their very intricate and captivating FD. I am still hoping that Hawayek and Baker can make a come-back at Nationals and secure third.

Bcash

Final Flight
I thought H/D looked very strong yesterday. Probably should have been first. C/B’s RD this season is just too generic even without the level issues. Hard to say how much they can make up in the FD in a domestic matchup.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Good skates from Team USA in the FD today in Zagreb at the Golden Spin, especially Caroline Green & Michael Parsons who moved up from 4th to win the bronze. Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter in 4th. G/P have two medals now in their first year together. Pretty impressive, and their PB just went up today by 14 points. Wow. Can't find video but must have been a great skate for them. Here's the scores.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I guess the changes weren't enough for Hubbell and Donohue. Switched positions with Chock and Bates dropping to third. Hopefully they'll keep working hard on those changes.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm thrilled for Chock & Bates! They're my favorite US ice dance team that's currently competing (all-time faves are the Shibutanis :luv17:) and they skated so well today! A well-deserved silver medal for sure. If they skate like this at Nationals, the national title is theirs without a doubt.

I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Hubbell & Donohue. But if I were them, I'd be really worried. Their free dance just isn't resonating with the judges and that's not good. Constantly changing the program is becoming a theme with them (last season, I don't think they ever performed the same version of their free dance twice), and that's not always good either. Something needs to change between now and Nationals, because their third title is all but gone at this point.

oly2018

Final Flight
I guess the changes weren't enough for Hubbell and Donohue. Switched positions with Chock and Bates dropping to third. Hopefully they'll keep working hard on those changes.

Hubbell and Donohue didn't learn their lesson from last year. They had a ton of time off and could have really reworked the whole dance or scrapped it all together. I suspect Chock and Bates are the Rising number 1's again in US Ice Dance, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no clear number 1 going into the Olympics. Same with the 3 and 4 spots. US nationals is going to be so interesting.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I'm over the moon for Madi and Evan. They've been through a lot over the years and had issues during the season but pulled it off when it counted.

Nathan13

Medalist
I just have to say that after years of defending Madi and Evan, reading comments about how much people dislike them, or backhanded compliments that started with "they're not my favorite team but...", it is so nice to see them getting the respect they deserve from both judges and fans. They are such a special team with so much more to give the sport, and I'm so glad they're still competing. What a time to be a Chock and Bates fan :hap10:

Nathan13

Medalist
I'm thrilled for Chock & Bates! They're my favorite US ice dance team that's currently competing (all-time faves are the Shibutanis :luv17:) and they skated so well today! A well-deserved silver medal for sure. If they skate like this at Nationals, the national title is theirs without a doubt.

I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Hubbell & Donohue. But if I were them, I'd be really worried. Their free dance just isn't resonating with the judges and that's not good. Constantly changing the program is becoming a theme with them (last season, I don't think they ever performed the same version of their free dance twice), and that's not always good either. Something needs to change between now and Nationals, because their third title is all but gone at this point.

Unfortunately I think the problems started early on when they opted out of the Challenger...it would have done them a lot of good to get feedback early on, on both problems. It's doubly unfortunate that the only thing that will fix this program is more major changes--like the whole Bradley Cooper vocal at the beginning needs to go, the voiceover too, and they just need to skate to Shallow. Maybe some nice instrumental sad guitar plucking to fill out the time requirement. But I think it's too late at this point.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Unfortunately I think the problems started early on when they opted out of the Challenger...it would have done them a lot of good to get feedback early on, on both problems. It's doubly unfortunate that the only thing that will fix this program is more major changes--like the whole Bradley Cooper vocal at the beginning needs to go, the voiceover too, and they just need to skate to Shallow. Maybe some nice instrumental sad guitar plucking to fill out the time requirement. But I think it's too late at this point.

I agree, they have more than enough points so they didn't NEED a Challenger, but it would've done them a lot of good. Personally, I think a big improvement would be made by switching the straight line lift and the choreographic twizzles. It makes absolutely no sense to do a lift right before the climax of the music and then just do twizzles on the climax. If they switched it, the lift could be such a moment and would get the crowd into it. I guess we'll see at Nationals :confused2:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
The junior dance team with Avonley Nguyen: are they competing at senior nationals come January? Could they possibly be chosen for the Olympic team ahead of Hawayek/Baker, who don’t seem to be advancing?

journalist101

On the Ice
The junior dance team with Avonley Nguyen: are they competing at senior nationals come January? Could they possibly be chosen for the Olympic team ahead of Hawayek/Baker, who don’t seem to be advancing?

No, they are competing junior. Vadym is a citizen of the Ukraine, so probably can’t get his US citizenship in time.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just have to say that after years of defending Madi and Evan, reading comments about how much people dislike them, or backhanded compliments that started with "they're not my favorite team but...", it is so nice to see them getting the respect they deserve from both judges and fans. They are such a special team with so much more to give the sport, and I'm so glad they're still competing. What a time to be a Chock and Bates fan :hap10:

Ditto that!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The junior dance team with Avonley Nguyen: ...

Vadym Kolesnik is worth remembering by name :yes: as the equally talented partner :bow: to the talented Avonley Nguyen :bow:.

I hope that video will be posted of their gala performance in Torino. :pray:

ETA:
Found a live stream. They performed a version of Demons as their exhibition program. :luv17:​

Thanks to all the junior and senior dancers for representing Team USA at J/GPF and Golden Spin. :yay:

I can't wait for Nationals. :hap85:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if N/K are moving up next season to Senior even though they just turned 17 and 18? I figured if they swept all their events on the JGP they would move up for sure but does not winning the JGPF change things? I think with the 3rd spot up for grabs in Seniors it would be wise to move up even if they can't go to the Olympics in 2022. For me they are to good to stay another year as Juniors so why not get the experience and start building for post 2022? With all the post Olympic retirements that no doubt are going to happen with H/D and C/B they will be the face of US Ice Dance for the future.