2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The first competition of the U.S. Dance season, The Chesapeake Open, started today so it must be time for a new thread! Have a wonderful season everyone:love:.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
So seeing as they will be at SC, the Caroline Green/Michael Parsons rumours were true! Interesting to see how they go, especially because she's a baby compared to him.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Feels like McNamara/Carpenter got the short end of the stick compared to Carreira/Ponomarenko. That IdF lineup is tough.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feels like McNamara/Carpenter got the short end of the stick compared to Carreira/Ponomarenko. That IdF lineup is tough.

I know. I saw the listing for IDF and NHK and I was like :gaah:

Maybe they improved during the offseason in how they might score PCS-wise. Idk. I really want McNamara/Carpenter to have success in the GP. But we know it's kinda hard to move up a lot in the standings in a short period of time for that discipline...

Hopefully they do well in the Challenger Series.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I know. I saw the listing for IDF and NHK and I was like :gaah:

Maybe they improved during the offseason in how they might score PCS-wise. Idk. I really want McNamara/Carpenter to have success in the GP. But we know it's kinda hard to move up a lot in the standings in a short period of time for that discipline...

Hopefully they do well in the Challenger Series.

They at least were on the podium at one of their GP events last year. If they can secure 4th in France, they'd be in good shape with that field. Beating Z/G would be big for them. It's probably much, much more important for them to beat C/P at NHK closer to U.S. Nationals, which is possible because I think their skating will be well received there.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I actually think that M/C and C/P got similar levels of difficulty regarding their assignments, and it was always going to be difficult for either of them to medal this year, regardless of where they went. But who knows, 10 months is a long time and so both teams might have improved exponentially since Nationals.

Also, Micheal Parsons and Caroline Green are 8 years apart in age to the day - they share the same birthday!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Also, Micheal Parsons and Caroline Green are 8 years apart in age to the day - they share the same birthday!

I'm very curious to see what they will be like as a team! I'm not too concerned about the age difference. He's a strong skater and can carry her through (I think). Wishing them the best in this new partnership! :luv17:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wonder why the Greens split up they had so much potential and Caroline really has little experience internationally considering she only was on the JGP for one season. I think she should have stuck it out with her brother and not gone Senior so soon. And considering that Michael is really short and she is still growing she could end up being too tall for him. Really strange pairing. :scratch2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today the ISU posted 13 videos from its Tea Time Foxtrot seminar in Detroit (held in April).

To assist Coaches, Ice Dance Couples and Officials to learn the new Pattern Dance, the Tea-Time Foxtrot, we are pleased to announce that selected videos from the Seminar held in Detroit are now available on the ISU Development Youtube Channel.
Included within the videos are detailed explanations of steps, timing, pattern and Key Points presented by the inventors: Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka; Natalia Kaliszek and Maksym Spodyriev.

The 13 videos range from as long as 52:14 to as short as 2:10. :popcorn:

ETA (on Jun 26):
FWIW, Howard Zhao can be seen partnering Layla Karnes in the seventh video, starting at approx. 3:00.​

Re GP assignments:

Wishing the wonderful Michael Parsons :luv17: a good season with his new partner Caroline Green.

For my own easy reference, adding links to the ISU chart for dance assignments and to the USFS press release listing assignments.

Ross74

Medalist
Wonder why the Greens split up they had so much potential and Caroline really has little experience internationally considering she only was on the JGP for one season. I think she should have stuck it out with her brother and not gone Senior so soon. And considering that Michael is really short and she is still growing she could end up being too tall for him. Really strange pairing. :scratch2:

Bummed because I really liked Caroline and Gordon together. I have to wonder if Gordon may have had doubts about continuing. In any case, I look forward to seeing the new team and wish them luck!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

It is a bit strange... maybe it's a "temporary" thing? They are both available and want to continue skating. Michael may be leaving his options open in case his sister decides to come back, and Caroline (I don't know much about her TBH) can gain from working with a more experienced partner until the next opportunity comes along. Or just possibly they will work out as a team. Many possibilities! Just speculating here, but wishing the new team every success!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

It's an amazing lineup. M&C got tough fields because they are good enough to compete. It's a good problem. They'll have a heck of a battle on their hands in both events, but they'll get the experience in both. And they do get another crack at Zagorski & Guerreiro. Go after them. Take out that team that took out Hawayek & Baker at the GPF last season.

The Skate America lineup is pretty good too. Carreira & Ponomarenko will have to face Z&G themselves, Lauriault & Le Gac, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson, and Smart & Diaz. (With the exception of Wang & Liu and Soucisse & Firus who are both at NHK, that's almost every internationally proximate ranked team that C&P never went up against last season. All in one go). And Shevchenko & Eremenko are no cakewalk either.

Some really good battles for both young U.S. teams!

What happens when they meet up at the end of the GP happens. They are going to likely meet many times in their career. Likely to swap results more than once in their lives. And likely to make each other stronger.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Thereby taking the biggest Ice Dance age gap record from Olivia Smart & Adrian Diaz who have a 7 year gap.

Personally I'm sad the Greens have parted, they were a lovely team, and would've had a stellar season in Juniors this season (last year was hampered by illness/injury?) Caroline had a stumble in the RD at Junior Worlds or they may've been placed higher, and lost out to the charisma of Avonley/Vadym for top US Junior couple.

If Gordon is continuing to compete and had his partner taken on the advice of coaches, that's sad.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Thereby taking the biggest Ice Dance age gap record from Olivia Smart & Adrian Diaz who have a 7 year gap.

Woah, is this true? Like, in the entire history of competitive ice dance, has there never been an age gap of more than 7 years? *googles frantically*

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Woah, is this true? Like, in the entire history of competitive ice dance, has there never been an age gap of more than 7 years? *googles frantically*

Haha! I don't know about in the entire history of Ice Dance, but of the couples competing currently. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Caroline had a stumble in the RD at Junior Worlds or they may've been placed higher, and lost out to the charisma of Avonley/Vadym for top US Junior couple. ...

Avonley/Vadym have more than charisma. :yes:
At Junior Worlds, the overall score for Avonley/Vadym was more than 14 points higher than for the Greens. Avonley/Vadym had the higher placement in both the RD and FD.

And if we're talking woulda/coulda/shoulda: If not for Avonley/Vadym's RD mistake at Nats, they may well have beaten the Greens for the junior title. The margin of victory there for the Greens was only about 1.5 points, and Avonley/Vadym won the FD.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And the year before that, without missing half of their season, the Greens defeated Nguyen & Kolesnik by 12 1/2 points at Junior Nationals. It was a good rivalry. It would have made them both stronger.

Now we will have a different one in some way, shape, or form.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Which was the very first year of Avonley and Vadym's partnership.

Yes. So in both cases, we're not talking apples to apples. And clearly both teams were within range of defeating each other on the right day. There was every reason to think this battling back & forth could have gone on for years.

But it won't. In that particular form, anyway. We will see something else develop in its stead.