2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are you telling me this wasn’t an issue for panels at regionals/dance final but it is getting called here? Not every panel is picking it up but every so often you get someone who is a stickler?

If you ask me Molly and Yehor were pretty close to the judges then went to the opposite wall. Did they want them literally touching the boards?

A shame they didn’t catch it at one of their previous events. Such a hard lesson to learn at a national championship.

It may not have been caught, but they also may have been a little bit further than they normally are. Or it could be a combination of a stricter panel and doing the element just a little shorter.

I didn't actually watch any of the FD here, so I'm not sure.

zounger

Medalist
I'm glad that the FD that I like the most this season won. Congratulations to Madison and Evan :clap: . I wish them the best (gold) at worlds.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I'm very happy for Madi and Evan! They are the US' best shot right now and they'll hopefully win 4CC too. I think they have a very good shot at the world podium.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Given that USFSA have shared the assignments in all the other disciplines, I’m disappointed that they decided to keep the Dance team the same for both Worlds and 4CC - I would’ve liked to have seen them give C/P one more assignment - especially because it’s been 2 years since the last head to head between them and L/L

heartyxo

On the Ice
Given that USFSA have shared the assignments in all the other disciplines, I’m disappointed that they decided to keep the Dance team the same for both Worlds and 4CC - I would’ve liked to have seen them give C/P one more assignment - especially because it’s been 2 years since the last head to head between them and L/L

I’m not surprised, they haven’t since 2015. USFSA usually only split them when someone turns 4CC down (Nathan, Mariah etc).

All 3 going can be justified. C&B are arguably the favorites to win now, H&D probably want to get their improvements out more and are practically guaranteed a medal, and H&B have looked rough all season and probably need more time to get their programs out more before worlds.
I agree though- it would be great if C&P could get more major international experience.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C/P have zero chance of going to the Beijing Olympics because of Christina's citizenship issues. They are very young (19 and 20) and will have plenty of opportunities to shine at ISU Championships in the future. I expect C/B and H/D to call it a day after Beijing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
With the surprising upset of PC at Euros Chock and Bates and or Hubbell and Donahue could be see as challengers for world gold now. Both have beaten teams that have beaten the Russians and or French and each other. Though to be honest I think the battle is really for silver and bronze. The French still have the gold. At the GPfinals we saw judges weere willing to give US two medals so who knows. Then again those Russian teams, Italians and G and P could put a wrench in things.

dancelion21

On the Ice
C/P have zero chance of going to the Beijing Olympics because of Christina's citizenship issues. They are very young (19 and 20) and will have plenty of opportunities to shine at ISU Championships in the future. I expect C/B and H/D to call it a day after Beijing.
Who do you think will go to Beijing 2022? I'm curious if Nguyen/Kolesnik have a chance, but he's not a citizen yet either. If citizenship blocks both C/P and N/K from competing in 2022, I think G/P will get it over H/B. G/P have looked great in their first season together, so I'm excited to see what they can do with more time together to gel.

With the surprising upset of PC at Euros Chock and Bates and or Hubbell and Donahue could be see as challengers for world gold now. Both have beaten teams that have beaten the Russians and or French and each other. Though to be honest I think the battle is really for silver and bronze. The French still have the gold. At the GPfinals we saw judges weere willing to give US two medals so who knows. Then again those Russian teams, Italians and G and P could put a wrench in things.
I don't think H/D can podium at Worlds this year. We need to wait for what happens at 4CC, but if C/B get a big score at that competition, which is quite likely given how much the judges like their free dance, and they were willing to rewark S/K free dance even though it's super boring, then C/B could be seen as challengers for the world title. If Euros taught us anything, it's that P/C aren't invincible, and S/K and C/B are there if they make mistakes, like what happened at Euros. I agree with you that P/C are the favorites for the world title, but it's not a done deal like we thought it was at the beginning of the season. Then again, G/P might factor into the conversation for podium since Worlds is in Canada this year. A lot rides on what happens at 4CC in two weeks.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I don't think H&D are gonna get a world medal either. The FD is improved, but it's too late. The damage has been done, and its still not great. I think P&C, C&B, S&K is the most likely podium at this point but its the order which is unknown.
I'm not sure about G&P- I'd love for it to happen but with the way they were scored at GPF?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Marie Bowness is the Worlds TS for ice dance, or Leanna Caron is the TC, G/P have a medal shot.

oly2018

Final Flight
4CC can actually end up being really bad for H/D. Their momentum has already been stopped in its tracks after losing to C/B twice. GPF was a fluke for S/K. Despite being so low in the standings because of tech errors, they still had the second highest PCS. They are safely World #2 and now may even be the chosen challengers of P/C. If H/D go to 4CC and lose to C/B again, I would say their world medal chances are almost 0 unless C/B severely mess up at Worlds. I don't see C/B fighting for silver because their RD doesn't score as high internationally and S/K have consistently score high in the RD and now have a big FD score to match it.

G/P may also challenge H/D at 4CC. Whatever national champ bonus H/D were getting previously is now gone and G/P and H/D have split wins in their head to heads.

4CC is going to be fascinating to watch.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not at all sure H/D are out of it. One of the big surprises in the US Nats FD was the changes H/D have made. Their FD now has a story line that packs an emotional wallop.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the beginning of the season, I said the only great program coming out of Gadbois was the Chock/Bates Free Dance.

It was true then, and it's true now.

It is a work of genius.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I do think C/B RD is getting better- it wasn’t scoring high because they weren’t getting levels then everyone got dinged at the GPF. It looked better at nationals even though it’s difficult to tell how accurately levels are there. I think 4CC will tell the story of whether it isn’t strong enough.
Their FD is genius- the best of the season in terms of what an FD is meant to do.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Don't be surprised if H/D choose not to go to 4cc and C/P are sent as alternate.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Don't be surprised if H/D choose not to go to 4cc and C/P are sent as alternate.

That would be a good outcome. Spread those ranking points around! It's especially advantageous since the same skaters can't get points from both 4CC and Worlds.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be a good outcome. Spread those ranking points around! It's especially advantageous since the same skaters can't get points from both 4CC and Worlds.

I didn't realize that skaters didn't get points for both. I've got to get smarter on this ranking thing.

It's not something I've followed closely at all.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I would be shocked if that happened. H/D have just revamped their FD and will want to perform it before ISU judges prior to Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Start order for Worlds is based on ISU World Standing, so it's helpful to go to 4CC and get a bunch of points. The European ice dancers have already moved up in the Standings, and it would be foolish to skip 4CC and lose ground to a rival.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Look here:
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

There's only one slot per year for "ISU Championships and Olympic Winter Games" . That one slot holds the highest number of points for 4CC/Europeans, Worlds, and Olympics. BUT a first at 4CC/Europeans is worth less than a first at Worlds/Olympics.

Start order for Worlds is based on ISU World Standing, so it's helpful to go to 4CC and get a bunch of points. The European ice dancers have already moved up in the Standings, and it would be foolish to skip 4CC and lose ground to a rival.

But H/D are second (see the above link). The only people who could get enough points at 4CC to pass them are C/B and G/P, and H/D would still be in the last flight for the RD at Worlds. So while your point is valid in general, and they indeed might lose some ground, it wouldn't push them down too far. Also, if C/B or G/P got a lot of points at 4CC, they would also lose one of the amounts they already have in the ISU .... slot, so the net gain might not even push them past H/D.

Note: Starting this year, the ISU has put ( ) around point that aren't counted in calculating the points total. This a a very nice addition to the listing!