2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Chock and Bates are my favorite ice dance team, and I'm super happy that they won the silver medal at the GPF and they beat H/D without any flukey errors. I think with the way things are going, they are going to win US Nationals over Hubbell and Donohue this year. The programs just aren't clicking for H/D and their scores are suffering as a result. I feel guilty every time I watch C/B free dance and enjoy it, because it is a mess of cultural appropriation, but it's so enjoyable??!! They go all-out when performing it, and the music is super captivating. Of course, Madison Chock gives all the face, and just draws you into the performance. I hate that I love it so much since it's so culturally insensitive and entertaining at the same time.

I'm curious as to what other changes H/D might make to their programs, or if they even have time to make significant changes before US Nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
USA should be mighty proud right now. Two medals in ice dance. It shows the judges will mark accordingly and aren't afraid to place2 teams from the same nation on thep odium. On the other hand, ice is slippery while I believe thye could repeat silver and bronze at worlds you just never know - Russia could steal those medals or even Canada. I don't think Italy will get a medal in dance. The odds are someonefrom the US, China or Gilles and Porier willwin medals before them. C and B solidified themseles as the national faves. But again ice is so slippery.

oly2018

Final Flight
The US judge had C/B ahead of H/D by a few points, so that bodes well for them going into nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get to watch due to my substandard nbc sports gold package. But I am very happy about the close scores here as though the judges are being watched themselves. I love Chock and Bates, Gilles Poirier freedances. Lets see what happens.

Huh? I saw it fine with my NBC Sports gold package?

litenkyckling

Final Flight
This has been mentioned in their fan fest but Hawayek and Baker were supposed to join SOI on 28th and 30th but they didn't?

noskates

Record Breaker
I really, really like Chock and Bates this year. In the past I thought she was a little too dramatic and it was distracting but their programs this year are stellar. Also like Hawayek and Baker and always look forward to their exhibition pieces specifically. Don't know about SOI but wouldn't that conflict with their prep for Nationals? I thought current competitors usually didn't join SOI until after their competition season was over. Why risk getting injured?

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Don't know about SOI but wouldn't that conflict with their prep for Nationals? I thought current competitors usually didn't join SOI until after their competition season was over. Why risk getting injured?

Gilles and Poirier and Bradie Tennell are there, I think its just for the holiday shows? It seems like a few teams are doing shows over the festive period this year, Smart and Diaz are doing Javi's show just now. Maybe they skipped it to prep, but it seems odd to announce it online just two weeks ago and then not be there?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Gilles and Poirier and Bradie Tennell are there, I think its just for the holiday shows? It seems like a few teams are doing shows over the festive period this year, Smart and Diaz are doing Javi's show just now. Maybe they skipped it to prep, but it seems odd to announce it online just two weeks ago and then not be there?

Bills gotta be paid.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This has been mentioned in their fan fest but Hawayek and Baker were supposed to join SOI on 28th and 30th but they didn't?

... it seems odd to announce it online just two weeks ago and then not be there?

ICYMI/FWIW: H/B have been on the published entry list for Mentor Torun Cup (in early Jan) since (only) approx. a week ago.

(That said, the USFS assignment page does not [yet?] show entries for Mentor Torun Cup.)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
ICYMI/FWIW: H/B have been on the published entry list for Mentor Torun Cup (in early Jan) since (only) approx. a week ago.

(That said, the USFS assignment page does not [yet?] show entries for Mentor Torun Cup.)

It doesn't show entries for the Youth Olympics either, and they have already been announced. Plus both events are listed on the assignment page. It seems quite plausible that whoever is in charge of updating the page is enjoying his/her holiday vacation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It doesn't show entries for the Youth Olympics either, and they have already been announced. Plus both events are listed on the assignment page. It seems quite plausible that whoever is in charge of updating the page is enjoying his/her holiday vacation.

I was just bending over backward to be clear that I am making no guarantee that H/B are going to Mentor Torun Cup.
(Although if they are, it would make sense that they could not appear in the SOI shows after all.)

If you would like to make a guarantee that H/B are going to Mentor Torun Cup, please feel free to do so. :)

As an aside: Throughout the season (and not only this season), updating of the USFS assignments page tends to be quite erratic, in my experience. Vacation time for a USFS staffer is not (IMO) a plausible explanation for season after season of erratic updating.

It is possible that holiday time is the explanation in the case of Mentor Torun Cup and YOG -- or IMO, it is equally possible that the chronic pattern of erratic updating is rearing its head once again.

Last season, Winter Universiade was listed on the USFS assignments page at the beginning of the season and for many months thereafter.
Did USFS actually send anyone to Winter Universiade? Unfortunately, the answer is No.

heartyxo

On the Ice
The only time I remember a U.S. team going to the Mentor Toruń Cup was Chock/Bates last year because they wanted to compete before Nats? I might be wrong, there could be others. It’s so close to nationals though that teams often don’t want to go.
It could make sense for H/B to go if they’ve made changes to their programs after their struggles during the Grand Prix season. I imagine they could be worried about keeping their world spot.

slider11

Medalist
Hawayek and Baker at the Mentor Torun cup next week is a sigh of relief for me. In another thread, someone mentioned that they might be injured and that's why they pulled out of SOI. I would much rather see them work out kinks to their program at a sanctioned event before Nationals. The latest entry list confirms
http://www.mentorcup.pl/entries

humbaba

Final Flight
According to the Mentor/Torun entry list, the Peals will be competing in adv. novice. :clap:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawayek and Baker at the Mentor Torun cup next week is a sigh of relief for me. In another thread, someone mentioned that they might be injured and that's why they pulled out of SOI. I would much rather see them work out kinks to their program at a sanctioned event before Nationals. The latest entry list confirms
http://www.mentorcup.pl/entries

Oh thank God. Is there a stream?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The only time I remember a U.S. team going to the Mentor Toruń Cup was Chock/Bates last year because they wanted to compete before Nats?

The Greens won the junior dance event there last season as well.

One of the regular dance events mid-season on the U.S. calendar used to be the NRW dance trophy. I believe it has been moved to very early. Am not sure if that has anything to do with USFS sending dancers to Mentor Torun now, but it does seem likely this works better for sending the top young teams, like the Greens & the Peals. It isn't as logical for the senior teams, but of course, Chock & Bates attended last year because their season was delayed due to injury. And Hawayek & Baker, who could have done a second Challenger but did not, could afford to fill a second international box with world standing points. It would make sense for them to go. Nope, there is no guarantee that they will; but none of the assignments are illogical ones. They all make good sense.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today the official list of competitors at 2020 Nats was published by USFS.

The link below is from the USFS home page:

Thirteen couples were expected to qualify for junior dance (top twelve at U.S. Ice Dance Final + Avonley/Vadym, who have a bye).

But ... the list has a fourteenth couple: Isabella Flores & Adam Bouaziz, who placed thirteenth at the Final.

The skaters who have qualified for Nats in Junior Ice Dance:
  1. Ella Ales & Daniel Tsarik
  2. Hilary Asher & Kyle Pearson
  3. Oona Brown & Gage Brown
  4. Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov
  5. Katarina DelCamp & Ian Somerville
  6. Isabella Flores & Adam Bouaziz
  7. Layla Karnes & Kenan Slevira
  8. Angela Ling & Caleb Wein
  9. Avonley Nguyen & Vadym Kolesnik
  10. Anna Nicklas & Max Ryan
  11. Cordelia Pride & Benjamin Lawless
  12. Samantha Ritter & Jim Wang
  13. Elizabeth Tkachenko & Alexei Kiliakov
  14. Katarina Wolfkostin & Jeffrey Chen

Update:
I just noticed that Breelie Taylor and Tyler Vollmer have been added to the official Nats list.
Junior Dance now has fifteen entries.​

(Perhaps Lake Placid International did count toward international byes to Nats after all??? For the Browns and for Cesanek/Yehorov.)

Anyway, the junior Nats field now includes Avonley/Vadym + all fourteen couples from the U.S. Ice Dance Final.

BTW, Taylor/Vollmer had an awesome reverse lift at Challenge Skate.
Although I have not seen all that many reverse lifts to compare it to, theirs really made my eyes pop open.
(I don't have access to Dance Final videos ... I hope they still had it there.)

Howard Zhao is off IPS.

Thanks for posting.