2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would be shocked if that happened. H/D have just revamped their FD and will want to perform it before ISU judges prior to Worlds.

But they do every year. So....:confused2:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
No one has mentioned how H/D messed up their FD at nationals. I didn't see it but saw an article later. They came out of their first element facing the wrong way somehow, and the next four elements were all done in the opposite direction of where it should have been. I could be totally wrong; it just seems to me that could be something that hurts their frame of mind when performing that routine for the rest of the season.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/01/26/chock-bates-hubbell-donohue-ice-dance-championships/

I'm looking for S/B to place at least 4th at World's this year.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I think if H/D were going to turn down 4CC they wouldn’t have been in the original announcement. Nathan, Vincent, Mariah- they are all going to worlds and weren’t on the 4CC list because they turned it down. I doubt H/D would have been on it if they were thinking about it.

dancelion21

On the Ice
C/B certainly have an outside shot at the world title this year. USFS has fully backed them, and their free dance has been massive. Is it a bold prediction to think that they could win the free dance?
Even though they fell at 4CC, they demonstrated that they have strengthened the rhythm dance. On the Grand Prix series, they were getting level 1 Finnsteps, but they were very clean with their levels in the rhythm and free. This gives them a better shot at beating S/K and possible P/C if they can keep the margin small during the rhythm dance, and rely on the strength of the free dance to move up in the standings.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Also, C/B's free dance has over 800k views on YouTube. It's by and far the highest viewed routine from Nats (slightly suprising, I expected Nathan, Alysa, or Mariah's free program to get that title). It doesn't mean anything in the long run, but I'm happy that a larger audience is able to see their mesmerizing routine. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, C/B's free dance has over 800k views on YouTube. It's by and far the highest viewed routine from Nats (slightly suprising, I expected Nathan, Alysa, or Mariah's free program to get that title). It doesn't mean anything in the long run, but I'm happy that a larger audience is able to see their mesmerizing routine. :laugh:

That is surprising. Very surprising. It was definitely the most poorly attended event by a mile. I would have thought Nathan or even Jason.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From the newly published 2020-21 list of NQS comps for Ice Dance:

- 2020 Chesapeake Open 6/24/2020 6/27/2020 Laurel, MD Baltimore FSC Eastern
- Cannon Texas Open 7/9/2020 7/12/2020 Farmers Branch, TX Lone Star FSC Midwest
- Skate Wilmington 2020 7/14/2020 7/19/2020 Wilmington, DE The SC of Wilmington, Inc Eastern
- Cactus Classic 7/15/2020 7/19/2020 Scottsdale, AZ Coyotes SC of Arizona Pacific Coast
- 2020 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships 7/28/2020 8/1/2020 Lake Placid, NY The SC of Lake Placid Eastern
- 2020 Silicon Valley Open 8/7/2020 8/8/2020 San Jose, CA Peninsula SC Pacific Coast
- Challenge Cup 2020* 9/17/2020 9/20/2020 Ardmore, PA Philadelphia SC & HS Eastern

*The U.S. Figure Skating Dance Development and Technical Committee has a Request for Action (RFA) before the 2020 Governing Council to eliminate NQS byes for ice dance athletes , to the U.S. Ice Dance Final, requiring all ice dance athletes, regardless of NQS ranking, to compete at their Sectional Ice Dance Challenge. If this RFA is NOT approved, Challenge Cup 2020 will be removed from the NQS approved competition list, due to its late date. The Governing Council will vote on this action May 2, 2020.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2020-21NQSCompetitions.pdf

(BTW, Dance-Pairs Chicago is not being held at all in the 2020-21 season.

Dance will have fewer NQS comps than Pairs [nine]. IIRC, was not true in the 2019-20 season?)

ETA (on Apr 10):

UPDATE on NQS (in light of COVID-19):

Ice Dance will not be included in the NQS this season and will resume in the 2021 NQS. This decision was made upon the recommendation of the dance committee. Ice Dance couples will begin their 2021 qualifying seasons with their respective Sectional Challenges.

https://twitter.com/icedancecom/status/1248702318264139778 (Apr 10)

http://app.e.usfigureskating.org/e/...q1RpUPYFTUF9AnG-so3bIysIqvP4GBYZ0ZJD0mx_JIC3Q

2020-21 Qualifying Season for Ice Dance (as of Apr 10):

> 2021 Midwestern Sectional Ice Dance Challenge (in conjunction with Eastern Great Lakes Regionals for Singles):
Sep 30 - Oct 4, 2020; Fort Wayne, Indiana

> 2021 Eastern Sectional Ice Dance Challenge
Oct 5 - 9, 2020; Location TBD
(seems likely to be in conjunction with New England Regionals for Singles; Oct 7 - 11, 2020; Location TBD)

> 2021 Pacific Coast Sectional Ice Dance Challenge (in conjunction with Southwest Pacific Regionals for Singles)
Oct 14 - 18, 2020; Artesia, California; Los Angeles FSC

> 2021 U.S. Ice Dance Final (in conjunction with Pacific Coast Sectionals for Singles):
Nov 10 - 15, 2020; Spokane, Washington; Lilac City FSC​

Among the changes in the landscape for U.S. juniors:

- Cesanek/Yehorov no longer age-eligible as juniors for 2020-21 international season.

- Ales/Tsarik and Pride/Lawless partnerships have ended, per announcements from skaters. Ales and Pride are interested in new partnerships. (I do not know one way or the other re Tsarik and Lawless.)

- Hilary Asher is on icepartnersearch (for senior dance).​

Good luck to Team USA at Junior Worlds this week. :hap85: :yay:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Avonley & Vadym, World Junior champions! Congratulations.

Will they move up? I'm not sure there's much to be gained by staying junior, even if senior opportunities will be hard-fought to gain.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I have a feeling they’ll move up, even though it will be difficult to get opportunities in the first couple of years. I don’t think they’ll get to Beijing, especially with citizenship issues but hopefully they’ll be sorted for 2026. After Beijing they could be one of the top teams, nationally and internationally, and they can start gaining momentum for that if they move up now.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
They might as well put themselves up now and establish competitiveness with G/P and C/P, since I'm still not convinced H/B will last in that 3rd spot. They're in the same situation as C/P as far as citizenship goes and I'm not sure they'll be able to put together any stronger of an application than they did, but they have nothing to lose.

dancelion21

On the Ice
N/K should definitely move up to senior, and make the battle for the third US Dance spot even more vicious. If citizenship wasn't an issue, then I think they or CPom would be the third US team at Olys 2022. I also don't think that H/B are going to stay the US #3, and the citizenship may be the only reason that they get to go to the Olympics.

heartyxo

On the Ice
It seems that the 3rd 2022 spot is between Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter. I wouldn't be surprised if G/P rose up in the next 2 years and got it. With the way H/B are going they could miss worlds next year. I don't think they'll leave Gadbois because they seem so happy there but I don't know if it's the best place for them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New article about Chock/Bates ... including what went into the creation of their FD: researching belly dancing videos, studying images of snakes, finding the braiding technique for Evan's costume, and much more. (Colorful phrasing :): "even Chock's hair was all in".)

From the discussion of their preparation for Worlds:
FD: In the weeks after the Four Continents Championships, they added more character and speed as well as details with the arms. ...
SD: ... For Worlds, they had prepared a more powerful ending.

Avonley & Vadym, World Junior champions! Congratulations. ...

:dance2: :luv17:

The April issue of Skating magazine will have Lynn Rutherford's full article on Vadym and Avonley's win. Excerpt here:

dancelion21

On the Ice
It sucks that Chock/Bates weren't able to cap their season off with a world medal, or dare I say it, even a world title. However, they are carrying a lot of momentum into next season, and I believe that they can find yet another hit free dance. Since moving to Montreal, all of their programs have been exciting and they've been really good at showing off their strengths, namely their intricate lifts and Madi's performance quality.
As for Nguyen/Kolesnik, I was so happy and proud when they won the junior world title. They are such a talented team, and even though the US Ice Dance field is tough, I think that they can break through. I really think that they should move up to senior next year so long as they can get Grand Prix spots since they have already shown that they're the class of the junior field. There's not much else to gain from staying junior since they've already won junior worlds, and it would hurt their momentum if they had another junior season with weak results. Plus, there's no shame in having weak results the first year on the senior circuit.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems that the 3rd 2022 spot is between Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter. I wouldn't be surprised if G/P rose up in the next 2 years and got it. With the way H/B are going they could miss worlds next year. I don't think they'll leave Gadbois because they seem so happy there but I don't know if it's the best place for them.

Yay!!! Someone who agrees with me! They are clearly not first priority at Gadbois, and probably not 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. She is very happy there. I’m not convinced he is as happy as she is. Since they are my faves and in fact the only reason I watch ice dance, which I will happily stop once they retire, I guess if they are happy not winning any GP medals 🎖 or 4CCs medals and having to fight it out at Nationals for bronze, I guess I have to be happy for them.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New article about Chock/Bates ... including what went into the creation of their FD: researching belly dancing videos, studying images of snakes, finding the braiding technique for Evan's costume, and much more. (Colorful phrasing :): "even Chock's hair was all in".)

From the discussion of their preparation for Worlds:
FD: In the weeks after the Four Continents Championships, they added more character and speed as well as details with the arms. ...
SD: ... For Worlds, they had prepared a more powerful ending.

:dance2: :luv17:

The April issue of Skating magazine will have Lynn Rutherford's full article on Vadym and Avonley's win. Excerpt here:

Even this excerpt stated nicely how Avonley and Vadym's FD performance at JW just transcended everything. In my opinion, it was this quality that elevated them head and shoulders above their competitors.

The article on Madison and Evan is wonderful, really going in depth about the process of creating the Snake program. I especially liked that Maddie said that over time, the program was in their bodies so they didn't have to think about it during performances. So they began to hear more and more notes in the music and were able to express more and more. (that's my paraphrase.)

I feel so vindicated, this year and last with the Fever/Elvis program. Maddie and Evan have been some of my favorites since I first saw them in the 2014 Nationals broadcast. When I first started reading, then posting in GS, shall we say it was Not Cool to be a Chock/Bates fan, and even less so to love their Show Biz SD and Les Mis FD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, that is true! When I put up their fan fest, it was mostly because of that Not Cool thing - I liked them, and felt they deserved better. I hate to see fine skaters dumped on by fans. But Now I just love them and am a shameless fan :)

heartyxo

On the Ice
Completely true. I have only been posting here for a few months but I’ve loved them since the start. The amount of crap they have got from the whole community over the years has only intensified that.

It wasn’t that people had to enjoy their skating, because fair enough if people didn’t, but it was how it reached the point of them pretty much being attacked for breathing. No team ever deserves that.