2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Newly published video of Livvy Shilling's comments that were recorded at Nats:

My Switch To Ice Dance // Livvy Shilling

https://youtu.be/Zmtjko1pAXg (7:02, published Apr 18)​

A few updates on the 2020-21 season (some of which I had edited into a previous post earlier):

Ice Dance will not be included in the NQS this season and will resume in the 2021 NQS. This decision was made upon the recommendation of the dance committee. Ice Dance couples will begin their 2021 qualifying seasons with their respective Sectional Challenges. (Please note that singles and pairs will remain in the Series. This decision was based on input from the singles and pairs committees.)

No doubt that the status of dance sectionals is subject to change, but the first on the calendar is 2021 Midwestern Sectional Ice Dance Challenge, Sep 30 - Oct 4, 2020, in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
2021 U.S. Ice Dance Final is scheduled for Nov 10 - 15, 2020, in Spokane, Washington.

Not surprisingly:

USFS Ice Dance Camp, originally scheduled for Jun 26-28 in Laurel, Maryland, is "Postponed."

Chesapeake Open, Jun 24-27, is cancelled.​

ETA (on May 27):

Per USFS update on May 19:

Ice Dance Camp
Date: June 26-28, 2020

https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...g-national-programs-and-events-status-updates

laceylou

Rinkside
So after the announcement of Lorraine and Quinn... I went onto Usfsa’s site and they had already updated the Team USA/ISP list & Lorraine & Quinn were already removed.

Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Katarina DelCamp and Ian Somerville
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Layla Karnes and Kenan Slevira
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
Avonley Nguyen and Vadym Kolesnik
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Elizabeth Tkachenko and Alexei Kiliakov
Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen

I noticed that Livvy Shilling & Alexander Petrov are also not on the list. Does this mean they were removed from Team USA/ISP?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So after the announcement of Lorraine and Quinn... I went onto Usfsa’s site and they had already updated the Team USA/ISP list & Lorraine & Quinn were already removed.

Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Katarina DelCamp and Ian Somerville
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Layla Karnes and Kenan Slevira
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
Avonley Nguyen and Vadym Kolesnik
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Elizabeth Tkachenko and Alexei Kiliakov
Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen

I noticed that Livvy Shilling & Alexander Petrov are also not on the list. Does this mean they were removed from Team USA/ISP?

It still stings.

slider11

Medalist
I wonder if Quinn had retired a year ago, if Lorraine and Michael Parsons might have teamed? Same coaches and familiarity with rink and location. Lorraine is a tall ice dance girl so that might not be in favor with Michael. It might be hard for her to find another suitable height boy. But she is young, 21-22, so she has some time. Sorry to see such a promising team split but I don't hear rumors that it was totally abrupt or shocking to Lorraine. If so, I appreciate his consideration of his partner.

dancelion21

On the Ice
https://sport24.ru/news/other/2020-...oto-yuniorskogo-chempionata-mira-deportatsiya

Interview with Vadym Kolesnik! It's in Russian, but I think Google Translate gets the gist of it.

He mentions that they're looking to move up to senior next year with two GP assignments. I'm glad they're still taking this approach even when it looks like the season is probably going to be shortened. Hopefully they can have a good senior debut season!

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Madison and Evan gave an interview to All-Year FSC, which is Madison's club.

The interviewers are Courtney Phillips, Molly (Rendel?), and Doug Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicEPKXYcOo

Their response to the “how did you come to skate together” question was interesting. He completely glossed over Emily and didn’t mention her at all. Am I remembering correctly that he auditioned with Madison before ending his partnership with Emily?

heartyxo

On the Ice
Their response to the “how did you come to skate together” question was interesting. He completely glossed over Emily and didn’t mention her at all. Am I remembering correctly that he auditioned with Madison before ending his partnership with Emily?

There was no confirmation. There were several different rumours about the entire situation and not a lot of information. It’s difficult to tell whether any of them were true or if people were just bitter about the partnership ending. From what little was said, it didn’t seem to be as dramatic as some were making out, but none of us were there so who knows.

In reality, it’s none of our business and I do wish many people in the figure skating community would have moved on sooner- C/B got attacked for most of their partnership partly due to it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I recall that Evan incurred a serious injury to his hand when Emily skated over it (the hand). Maybe Evan was in fear of injury to other parts of his body.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It was Evan who had skated over Emily's hand, slicing a tendon in her finger -- an accident in 2007, years before the end of their long partnership.

In 2010, in another accident ("freak accident" in the words of ice-dance.com), Evan's Achilles tendon was severed by Emily's blade.
They missed a full season while Evan recovered. His partner Emily waited for him to recover.
Shortly after he returned to the ice, he ended the partnership.

Emily did not end the partnership after her injury.
And AFAIK, Evan never said that fear of injury was his reason for ending the partnership.

The announcement of the end of Evan's partnership with Emily was followed only days later by the news of his new partnership with Madi. (Disclaimer: I am not saying that the timing is a smoking gun.)

dancelion21

On the Ice
In pretty much every interview or question about them teaming up, Evan glosses over ending his partnership with Emily. He usually says something along the lines of getting back onto the ice right after a bad injury and wanting a change. In every interview, they mention that they were both looking for new partners at the same time while skating at the same rink, so it was a partnership born out of convenience. This seems to imply that Evan ended his partnership with Emily before trying out with Madi, but there were so many rumors flying around that it's hard to know what was the truth.

C/B got a lot of flak back in the day, but it's been ten years since the split happened, and all parties seem pretty happy where they are now.