2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes. So in both cases, we're not talking apples to apples. ...

And the conversation that you and I are having has nothing to do with my reply to La Rhumba, which I stand by.

La Rhumba -- who has shown a tendency to diminish Avonley and Vadym in other threads -- cited only Caroline's RD stumble when theorizing that the Greens otherwise had the potential for a higher placement at Junior Worlds.
If La Rhumba had mentioned Caroline's unfortunate illness, causing the late start to the Greens' season, and had not chalked up being outplaced to Avonley/Vadym's charisma, then I never would have replied to La Rhumba in the first place.

Wishing all a productive and fun time at dance camp.

Christina Carreira's Instastory showed some of Team Novi hanging out tonight with Gage Brown and Max Gart. :ghug:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And the conversation that you and I are having has nothing to do with my reply to La Rhumba, which I stand by.

La Rhumba -- who has shown a tendency to diminish Avonley and Vadym in other threads -- cited only Caroline's RD stumble when theorizing that the Greens otherwise had the potential for a higher placement at Junior Worlds.

I understand what you are saying about a specific posting history, and that you are having a different theoretical discussion there.

But that stumble at Junior Worlds was no minor thing so I am responding to the implication that it was. The pattern was always the Greens' bread & butter. They usually earned two level fours on it while most teams do not. It is what got the Greens into the final group at Junior Worlds the year before (over Carreira & Ponomarenko's botched RD). This year, the Greens lost over 6 levels total on that pattern, earning only a level 2 and a Basic. They lost over 5 points that they usually bring in. Five points that would have placed them right behind Nguyen & Kolesnik in the RD at Junior Worlds.

Very similar scenario happened with Ushakova & Nekrasov. Misfire during the pattern ate them alive, and it didn't look like a major mistake; but when you're in that kind of situation--up against the best in the World--then kerthunk and suddenly you're sitting behind multiple teams you usually come out ahead over and are fighting the whole competition from behind.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… They lost over 5 points that they usually bring in. Five points that would have placed them right behind Nguyen & Kolesnik in the RD at Junior Worlds. …

First of all, I need to sorta correct myself (apologies):
La Rhumba did mention Caroline's illness, but not specifically in relation to JW.

The hypothetical five additional points for the Greens in the RD could have resulted in higher placements for them than their actual placements (sixth instead of eighth in the RD and sixth instead of seventh overall).

But the hypothetical five additional points would not have been sufficient for them to be the top U.S. couple at JW -- and that status seemed to me to be the focus of La Rhumba's ultimate point, which is what I originally responded to.

Anyway, I will try to leave it there. This conversation has become increasingly pointless, IMO.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

If La Rhumba had mentioned Caroline's unfortunate illness, causing the late start to the Greens' season, and had not chalked up being outplaced to Avonley/Vadym's charisma, then I never would have replied to La Rhumba in the first place.

What ARE you on about????

Firstly, I DID mention Caroline's injury/illness.

Secondly, what on earth does this mean?
"La Rhumba -- who has shown a tendency to diminish Avonley and Vadym in other threads"
That is a libel, and you'd better take it back. I haven't even diminished their achievements in THIS Thread, I wrote a post lamenting the parting of the Greens, and YOU chose to interpret it in that way, who knows why? Though I could make a few guesses.
You make it sound as if I post regularly on these threads, which I don't. I stick to the British thread mostly, with an occasional foray elsewhere. FYI, I tweeted that Avonley/Vadym should've been on the Podium at Junior Worlds. So stop talking utter nonsense about me and mentioning my name. You know NOTHING about me, and I wish to complain to the Mods about this ridiculousness. Jeez! Talk about ruining someone's day. :confused:

:rolleye:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ICYMI, excerpt from two posts above:

First of all, I need to sorta correct myself (apologies):
La Rhumba did mention Caroline's illness, but not specifically in relation to JW. ...

I wish that I had seen your tweet about Avonley/Vadym and the JW podium.
But I see only a microfraction of the umpteen gazillion tweets out there from skating fans with Twitter accounts. (Avonley and Vadym do not have Twitter accounts, so it's not as if I could have seen retweeting by one of them of your tweet or of any tweet.)
[ETA:
And if I had seen your tweet, I wish that I could have had a way of knowing (or at least deducing) that it was from "La Rhumba" the GS member. I just went looking for an "@LaRhumba" Twitter account, and I don't see anything of that ilk that obviously would be the correct account that belongs to you. (To be clear, not criticizing you for using different usernames on different platforms -- absolutely nothing wrong with that. :))]​

If I have made an error of mistaken identity, I do apologize.
Over the course of the 2018/19 season until the present, someone on GS has made more than one comment diminishing Avonley/Vadym -- of whom I am a big fan (no shocker there :laugh:).
"La Rhumba" matched the username that I recalled, but if I recalled incorrectly, then again I do apologize.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Getting to Know: Anya Lavrova & Maxwell Gart (latest installment of IDC's series on new partnerships):

My favorite part is from Gart:

This past April, I went to the Southern Connecticut Open to cheer on a couple of my training mates when I saw Anya competing [in solo dance]. I was very impressed with her performance, so of course I tried to subtly walk by her a few times to see how we would look as an ice dance team. Needless to say, I thought she was perfect. Our tryout was seamless, and here we are!

LOL, "subtly" ;) :ghug:.

RD: The King and I. (Max cut the music.)
FD: The Theory of Everything.

Wishing them good luck in their first season :yay:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USFS website has been updated with 2019-20 Team Envelopes:

Team A
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue
Madison Chock & Evan Bates​

Team B
Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko​

Team C
Avonley Nguyen & Vadym Kolesnik​

Team D
Oona Brown & Gage Brown
Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov
Layla Karnes & Kirill Aksenov
Elizabeth Tkachenko & Alexei Kiliakov
Jordan Lin & Morgan Sletten​

Based on 2019-20 Team Envelope Criteria, nothing unexpected … except are Karnes/Aksenov still together???

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Green & Parsons have been added to the ISP.
Wolfkostin & Chen have also been added to the ISP. (Their names are randomly off to the right side of Nguyen & Kolesnik).

Based on 2019-20 Team Envelope Criteria, nothing unexpected … except are Karnes/Aksenov still together???

I think Karnes & Aksenov were both in the Teatime Foxtrot photo. (That he may be the redhead on the left side of the photo, standing next to Cesanek & Yehorov, I believe). At first I was thinking it might be Ian because red hair + Wheaton usually means Ian; but later I realized that Aksenov has red hair too and it seems like if Ian were there then DelCamp would have been there too. (I know you had pointed out that Layla was standing by Howard; but both then & now, Howard is still on IPS.

This is the first list we have seen with any of the three novice teams for this season, and I am very glad to see it. We can certainly use some young dance teams on the list after all of the splits over the summer. Fingers crossed that this means all three young teams are still together. (It's not always a guarantee. Teams have come off the list in the past after the season starts).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per videos, Karnes and Zhao did in fact partner each other at the Tea Time Foxtrot seminar in Detroit.

I'm talking about the thirteen ISU videos from the seminar. I have watched maybe half of the thirteen videos, and I remember that the camera at least several times happened to show Karnes and Zhao skating as a couple.

I never noticed Karnes skating with anyone else (except maybe Spodyriev), and never noticed Zhao skating with anyone else.

I am not trying to say that the seminar videos prove that Karnes and Zhao are a permanent partnership.

But the videos make me wonder whether Karnes still is with Aksenov.

Especially if(?) Aksenov were there, why would Karnes skate with anyone else if the Karnes/Aksenov partnership were intact?
(In the seminar videos that I have viewed so far, there never was any deliberate partner-switching. Avonley and Vadym always skated together; same for Ella and Daniel; same for Katarina and Jeffrey; etc. The only exceptions I have seen were Kaliszek or Spodyriev or Sylwia or a coach stepping in to demonstrate something with one of the junior dancers.)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Do not have an answer. (Except a possible injury?) Teams do come off the list. Kudos for watching the videos.

Hopefully the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships should solve a few mysteries for us by the end of the month. Here are a few that were solved today . . .

Per FSU, new teams training with Zoueva:

Adrienne Carhart & Yuri Vlasenko
Gianna Buckley & Anton Spiridonov
Marine Pouliot & Kenan Slevira
Christina Sheckler & Grant Kulenkamp (not 100% certain these two are with Zoueva)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Elders were on the original list in April, but I believe they were removed before this most recent update. Not sure if that was mentioned here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I think Karnes & Aksenov were both in the Teatime Foxtrot photo. (That he may be the redhead on the left side of the photo, standing next to Cesanek & Yehorov, I believe). ...

Remind me which photo from the Detroit seminar you're talking about?

My eyes don't see Cesanek/Yehorov in dscclub's photo, and I don't remember seeing them in any other of the Detroit seminar photos I saw at the time. (So my belief was that they were not there at all. Also have not seen them in any of the seminar videos that I watched so far.)

… Per FSU, new teams training with Zoueva:

Adrienne Carhart & Yuri Vlasenko
Gianna Buckley & Anton Spiridonov
Marine Pouliot & Kenan Slevira
Christina Sheckler & Grant Kulenkamp (not 100% certain these two are with Zoueva)

I hope it is true that Kulenkamp has found a partner. :)

LOL/FWIW, he still is on icepartnersearch -- which to me, does not necessarily cast doubt on the FSU news re his partnership [ETA: especially now that I see that Sylvia was the source of the FSU news].

I sometimes have noticed the continued presence of an icepartnersearch listing long after a skater herself or himself has made an outright announcement of a new partnership.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Sylvia posted that all of these teams, including Sheckler & Kulenkamp, are signed up for the Cactus Open.

LOL/FWIW, he still is on icepartnersearch -- which to me, does not necessarily cast doubt on the FSU news re his partnership.

I will try to look at the photo again later. I wasn't certain it was Cesanek. (Just looked like her). Surely there's only one redheaded guy on the left side of the shot, though? How many could there be?

Lutzlvr

Rinkside
OK, I looked at the photo again. The guy who I thought might be Aksenov is the one standing to the left of Kolesnik. Who is it? Slevira, maybe?
If we’re looking at the same photo (Tea Time Seminar at DSC), then to the left of Vadym are Ben Lawless and Cordelia Pride. That’s my best guess anyway :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sylvia posted that all of these teams, including Sheckler & Kulenkamp, are signed up for the Cactus Open. ...

I have great faith in Sylvia ... and indeed before seeing what I have quoted from your post, I just had edited a comment expressing my faith in her into my previous post.

My point re icepartnersearch was that because Kulenkamp still is listed there -- although he apparently will be ready to compete with a new partner at a club comp two weeks from now -- it is open to question (IMO) whether your references to Zhao's listing really are indicative that he does not yet have a new partner. As far as I am concerned, Zhao's status simply is unclear one way or the other.

If we’re looking at the same photo (Tea Time Seminar at DSC), then to the left of Vadym are Ben Lawless and Cordelia Pride. That’s my best guess anyway :)

Thanks.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I have great faith in Sylvia ... and indeed before seeing what I have quoted from your post, I just had edited a comment expressing my faith in her into my previous post.

My point re icepartnersearch was that because Kulenkamp still is listed there -- although he apparently will be ready to compete with a new partner at a club comp two weeks from now -- it is open to question (IMO) whether your references to Zhao's listing really are indicative that he does not yet have a new partner. As far as I am concerned, Zhao's status simply is unclear one way or the other.

Yes, I understood your meaning. We should be finding out who is really throwing their hats in the ring for this year's JGP or CS Series pretty soon because those new teams either need to get themselves out there in the next month or two in order to fight for ISP/minimum scores or they will be watching the international events from the sidelines until after Nationals.

It is possible Zhao has a partner, as you said. I am reluctant to leap to conclusions based on summer training camps because last year there were at least three teams in photos that never turned into teams. (Two or three teams from Russia/Lithuania with athletes still on the ISP that were partnered up for a shot with all the different dance teams training with Krylova and one of Buckley & Colluci at U.S. Dance Camp). Which makes sense as summer is a good time for tryouts but not all tryouts work. And also as athletes are often partnered up with someone else in a rink until they find the right partner. Buckley & Slevira were training together in the TV clip from Marina's new rink, for example. I learned my lesson with ignoring ISP listings last summer so I'll just wait & see what we find out.

Also, I am curious if Christopher Elder is done. He is the right age to move on to school, but he is also tall with good edges. (Igor's cup of tea & probably easy to repartner if Christopher wants to do so).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I am reluctant to leap to conclusions ...

Then we are on the same page, because not once have I attempted to make "conclusions" about Karnes or Zhao -- either in this thread or in the 2018-19 dance thread. :)

I have been careful to use a lot of "FWIW"s and question marks.

ETA:
... Surely there's only one redheaded guy on the left side of the shot, though? How many could there be?

Forgot to say earlier that in the dscclub photo, my eyes perceive zero redheaded guys on the left side of the shot.

Without Lutzlvr's help, I would not have known Lawless' name, but my opinion is that he does not look like a redhead?

That's part of the reason that I honestly did not understand that you were talking about the dssclub photo.

Maybe my eyes and/or my computer display are not as good as yours?​