2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Bio for Caroline Green/Michael Parsons has been added to USFS fan zone.

FWIW, it says, "Teamed up in June 2019." (As opposed to any earlier -- again, FWIW.)

It makes reference to the previous partnerships with Gordon and with Rachel, without saying that either one has retired.

It does not (yet?) give any information re coaches, although the format of previous fan zone bios has been to list coaches.
(For example, as in the old fan zone bio for the Parsons.)

ETA (on Jul 9):
As something new for 2019-20, looks as if fan zone might be adding bios for coaches?? The 2019-20 index page for skaters does not have any skater bios yet, but it shows a link for "Go To Coaching Staff."
Maybe that is why the new Green/Parsons bio does not (yet?) list coaches.​

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Kirill Aksenov just listed himself on IPS. So there's your confirmation that Karnes & Aksenov have split.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Getting to Know: Angela Ling & Caleb Wein (another installment in IDC's series on new partnerships):

I am intrigued by this part :popcorn::
Our free dance is to baroque style music but we are taking a modern dance approach with our dancing and movement style. It is loosely inspired by a performance by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater of Wayne McGregor’s Kairos, which is danced to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. As the season progresses, we look to take this modern style forward to create something unique and exciting.

Fun (at least for me) fact: Before joining forces with Caleb, Angela most recently had been training at Ilderton Skating Club.
Hope it is a good omen for the new partnership.

Good luck to all competing at Cannon Texas Open. :yay:

(Whoever they might be.)

Kirill Aksenov just listed himself on IPS. So there's your confirmation that Karnes & Aksenov have split.

Thanks.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Results for the Texas Cannon Open are being posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom/
(There's no stream so I assume that's why no play-by-play thread).

-Junior debuts for Tkachenko & Kiliakov and Lin & Sletten

-New partnership debuts for Ling & Wein and I assume for Ritter & Wang. I can't remember if Loughlin & Petrenko did the RD at the Chesapeake Open or not. I know they haven't skated their FD yet.

-Season debut for Nguyen & Kolesnik. And boy did Wolkostin & Chen give them a run for their money in the RD. 0.15 between first & second (granted W&C have already competed twice this summer).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... -New partnership debuts for Ling & Wein and I assume for Ritter & Wang. I can't remember if Loughlin & Petrenko did the RD at the Chesapeake Open or not. I know they haven't skated their FD yet.

-Season debut for Nguyen & Kolesnik. And boy did Wolkostin & Chen give them a run for their money in the RD. 0.15 between first & second (granted W&C have already competed twice this summer).

Glad that Wang has a new partner. :yay: (Wonder whether they hope to represent the U.S.?)

ETA (on Jul 13):
Maybe the answer is Yes re Ritter/Wang representing the U.S.?
Their U.S. clubs are listed on the results sheet -- whereas Loughlin/Petrenko both are listed as Azerbaijan.​

Those who competed RD both at Chesapeake and Cannon:

W/C, whose RD score stayed about the same.

FWIW, higher RD score at Cannon for Ales/Tsarik and Lavrova/Gart. (And for Loughlin/Petrenko.)
(NQS rankings will compare scores from different comps, so I am not refraining from doing so. Again, FWIW.)​

Howard Zhao just updated his bio on icepartnersearch.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Seems like the first M/C and C/P's first head to head this year will be at Lake Placid next week - exciting start to the season imo!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Seems like the first M/C and C/P's first head to head this year will be at Lake Placid next week - exciting start to the season imo!

Would be awesome. I've been wondering if we might get one. If so, good for both teams in getting out there early!

I've seen the confirmation from McNamara & Carpenter's facebook page that they are planning to debut both programs at Lake Placid.:dance:

Do you have a link confirming that C/P will be there? (Sorry if this is posted in the event portion of the board already. If it's on instagram, I can't read it; but I would still appreciate the link).

chameleon

On the Ice
Would be awesome. I've been wondering if we might get one. If so, good for both teams in getting out there early!

I've seen the confirmation from McNamara & Carpenter's facebook page that they are planning to debut both programs at Lake Placid.:dance:

Do you have a link confirming that C/P will be there? (Sorry if this is posted in the event portion of the board already. If it's on instagram, I can't read it; but I would still appreciate the link).

Yes, Anthony posted on his instagram this morning: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0V83bFp764/?igshid=1xh7rtpo6ewku

Last I heard, C/P were unsure of whether they were doing Lake Placid this year or Skate Detroit, so I assume this indicates they're feeling good about where they are in their prep this year. I'm looking forward to this first head to head of the season!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Last I heard, C/P were unsure of whether they were doing Lake Placid this year or Skate Detroit, so I assume this indicates they're feeling good about where they are in their prep this year.

I was told there was no dance event at Skate Detroit this year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think it was Chicago Dance-Pairs they were considering

Yes, I was thinking they would do Lake Placid or Chicago. (Could still do Chicago). It's possible Hawayek & Baker may go to that one. Didn't last year, but they were injured; and it's not as convenient for them as it used to be but they haven't signed up for the Quebec summer event. They may not do anything; but if they want something early, Chicago seems plausible.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Yes, I was thinking they would do Lake Placid or Chicago. (Could still do Chicago). It's possible Hawayek & Baker may go to that one. Didn't last year, but they were injured; and it's not as convenient for them as it used to be but they haven't signed up for the Quebec summer event. They may not do anything; but if they want something early, Chicago seems plausible.

I'm wondering if maybe Chicago is something that Pasquale likes to do (hence why C/P, T/B and N/K were there last year) and if so perhaps H/B will skip that too? Idk why but I feel like they might make a CS event their first one. I'd imagine they'd love US Classic if H/D are opting out this year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if maybe Chicago is something that Pasquale likes to do (hence why C/P, T/B and N/K were there last year) and if so perhaps H/B will skip that too? Idk why but I feel like they might make a CS event their first one. I'd imagine they'd love US Classic if H/D are opting out this year.

It's entirely possible. They came out looking quite ready last season. (I think Gadbois usually does a good job making sure its injured athletes are really ready when they return to competition). And, yes, Chicago is convenient for the Detroit coaches. Camerlengo, Shpilband, and Marina--in the past--have all brought their teams. No world minimum scores or world standing points available there, though, so Lake Placid has more payoff if you're ready for it.

The Gadbois teams usually go to Quebec. I can't recall them ever bringing teams to Chicago. However, Quebec was not particularly friendly to Hubbell & Donohue the year they went there (and finished behind both Paul & Islam and Paradis & Ouellette during a season in which H&D ultimately finished 6th in the World); and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson will be there skating at home. So I could see H&B choose a different strategy to get started if they want an early event.

I think if they do get the U.S. Classic, it wouldn't hurt to get an early run accomplished first. As odds are one of these other young U.S. teams will be there and that team + any teams Canada sends to Salt Lake will likely have already done one.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This just in:

Logan Bye :luv17: has posted a photo of himself with Eva Pate, Igor, Pasquale, and Adrienne.

Logan's words:

A new chapter begins

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0WwMQfH1Wq/ (Jul 25)​

Novi Ice Arena signage (with Olympic rings) in the background.​

Go, Logan and Eva. :yay:

(He also tagged USFS, Harlick, MK Blades, and Skating Club of New York.)

ETA:

Lovely to see all the positive reactions from Logan's skater friends.

My favorite one so far is from Camden:
Yay I’m not the only youth olympic member still around!😂 proud of you man!❤️

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The ISP list has been updated, and Tkachenko & Kiliakov and Lavrova & Gart have been added.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

I would freak out if Hawayek and Baker are at Chicago Dance-Pairs!! :luv17: I traveled there last year and enjoyed seeing Carreira/Ponomarenko and Manta/Johnson in person. Really hoping to at least see juniors Nguyen/Kolesnik again! I'm waiting impatiently for a schedule from Dance-Pairs. We're two weeks away!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good luck to all competing in Lake Placid this week. :yay:

The ISP list has been updated, and Tkachenko & Kiliakov and Lavrova & Gart have been added.

Beating a dead horse, but I still find the published version of the ISP list to be mysterious.

Ling/Wein are not on the published list (I just looked at it again), but are on the entry list for Lake Placid International junior dance.

Tkachenko/Kiliakov and Lavrova/Gart were added to the published list after Cannon (no problem there).
Ling/Wein also competed at Cannon … but have not been added to the published list … but have been given an international assignment. (Unless USFS inexplicably does not count Lake Placid International as an international assignment???)
Given that T/K and L/G were added to the published list after Cannon, a mere delay in updating the published list would not make sense to me as plausible reason for the absence of Ling/Wein -- if it is true that achieving a certain competition score is the only criterion for addition to the ISP list.

ETA (on Aug 6):
Could a strong showing at post-Chesapeake dance camp have helped Ling/Wein get the LP international assignment??​

Not picking on Ling/Wein. I sincerely wish them all the best, along with the Browns, and T/K.

As long as I'm beating dead horses ;), turns out that Aksenov was on ice-dance.com's Partner Search at least as far back as April 25 (when his profile was last updated), which was shortly before the Detroit seminar.

I would freak out if Hawayek and Baker are at Chicago Dance-Pairs!! :luv17: I traveled there last year and enjoyed seeing Carreira/Ponomarenko and Manta/Johnson in person. Really hoping to at least see juniors Nguyen/Kolesnik again! I'm waiting impatiently for a schedule from Dance-Pairs. We're two weeks away!!

I'm hoping to travel to Chicago Dance-Pairs as a first-timer there. :hap85:

Hope you have seen that D-P finally (well after your post) has published the schedule.

According to the schedule, 10 couples for junior dance, and 4 for senior dance.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I'm hoping to travel to Chicago Dance-Pairs as a first-timer there. :hap85:

Hope you have seen that D-P finally (well after your post) has published the schedule.

According to the schedule, 10 couples for junior dance, and 4 for senior dance.

Yes, I saw that! :hap10: Slightly lower numbers than last year (I believe there were 11 junior teams and 5 senior teams) but I'm still very excited! Now I just wish I knew which teams are competing... I guess it'll be a surprise! :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Confirmation that Gordon Green decided to move on from competitive skating is in the Aug-Sep issue of Skating magazine (pp. 44-45).

Good luck to Gordon as he applies to college in the fall, and looks ahead to becoming a full-time college student.

Nice quotes from Gordon also about life lessons that he has learned from the sport.

Also from Caroline and from Michael Parsons about their new partnership.

For posterity, 2019 Dance-Pairs Chicago results:

icedancecom posted lots of photos of results details in its Facebook album, such as:

New bios have been showing up on USFS fanzone (most are works in progress):

And as previously mentioned, Green/Parsons bio was added earlier.