2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Touching video of Cesanek/Yehorov receiving their Team USA jackets:

My favorite part is the end, when they speak to camera about their excitement. :hap85:

Changes on USFS site re envelope funding:

USFS finally has removed Karnes/Aksenov from the published list. They still were on it as of a few days ago, but now gone.
(Unrelated BTW: Karnes competed in solo dance at Dance-Pairs Chicago.)

Now listed in the Reserve Envelope: Lavrova/Gart; Ales/Tsarik; Green/Parsons.
No funding for them yet, but a JGP/Challenger/GP medal would move them up to Envelope C.​

ETA (on Aug 17):

Wolfkostin/Chen now also listed in the Reserve Envelope.​

haribobo

On the Ice
SENIOR DANCE
Carreira/Ponomarenko 177.72 Lake Placid
McNamara/Carpenter 175.75 Lake Placid
Green/Parsons 168.25 Lake Placid
Shilling/Petrov 140.64 Dance Pairs Chicago
Carhart/Vlasenko 120.15 Cactus Classic
Melton/O'Donnell 119.50 Dance Pairs Chicago
Reynolds/Reynolds 114.65 Chesapeake Open

Yet to compete- Hubbell/Donohue, Chock/Bates, Hawayek/Baker

JUNIOR
Nguyen/Kolesnik-Dance Pairs Chicago 162 (170 @ JGP)
Wolfkostin/Chen-Chesapeake Open 150 (147 @ JGP)
DelCamp/Somerville-Lake Placid 148
Cesanek/Yehorov-(140 @ JGP) Lake Placid 134
Tkachenko/Kiliakov-Texas Cannon Open 138 (122 @ JGP)
Ales/Tsarik-Lake Placid 136 (140 @ JGP)
Brown/Brown-Chesapeake Open 135
Lavrova/Gart-Texas Cannon Open 126
Ling/Wein-Dance Pairs Chicago 126

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Green & Parsons: A New Journey Begins

Nice interview with Michael and Caroline. (First topic is how their partnership came about. Another topic that they address is their age difference.)

Good luck to them at Lombardia. :yay:
(And congratulations on the assignment to Skate America.)

Good luck also to the Browns and Wolfkostin/Chen at JGP Russia.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I know it is unlikely skaters or the USFS will give details on envelope funding, but god I am dying to know how much skaters on Team A get vs Team B vs C and so on. Now I don't think USFS is awash in money, but does getting Team A funding mean that Nathan or Alysa's bills are covered 100% or what (certainly, from what I've read a lot of skaters' families seem to be struggling financially)... argh, my hunger for the finances behind figure skating continues!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Team A funding ... Nathan or Alysa's ...

Not that this thread is the best place to discuss Nathan and Alysa, but I quickly will mention that their Team A funding presumably is not the same.
(Although I have no idea what the extent of the difference would be.)

As World Champion, Nathan is in Tier 1 of Envelope A.

Alysa is in Tier 2.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it is unlikely skaters or the USFS will give details on envelope funding, but god I am dying to know how much skaters on Team A get vs Team B vs C and so on. Now I don't think USFS is awash in money, but does getting Team A funding mean that Nathan or Alysa's bills are covered 100% or what (certainly, from what I've read a lot of skaters' families seem to be struggling financially)... argh, my hunger for the finances behind figure skating continues!!

From everything I have read, envelopes in no way shape or form pay for all a skater's expenses. Not when those expenses run $50K a year for an elite skater. Skaters may have sponsorships or other financial resources to cover their expenses. But the envelopes do not cover them. I would not be too excited to learn that number. :)

If you mean how much does figure skating cost, there are some articles and interviews that are very illuminating. (Alex Krasnozhon's for one)

If you mean, how does a skater pay for those costs, in the US where the skater must cover their own expenses, that is the skater's business, and not ours. :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
After last year’s, imo, so-so programs I’m really excited to see what Hubble & Donahue are doing this year.

Bcash

Final Flight
After last year’s, imo, so-so programs I’m really excited to see what Hubble & Donahue are doing this year.

After seeing their close competitors' tasteful and promising new programs, I'm a little nervous for H/D. I don't think Lady Gaga can ever match up to Dvorak but I hope at least Madi and Zach make something original out of it. Not too overwrought and overworked like last season's program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Listed among entries competing today at Midwestern Sectional Ice Dance Challenge:

Logan Bye and Eva Pate in Senior Dance.
Is it the first competition for this previously-announced partnership?
The only other senior entry is Shilling/Petrov.​

Layla Karnes and Kenan Slevira in Junior Dance.
New partnership, AFAIK? Which would explain this photo from Sep 23: https://instagram.com/p/B2wuE3ulr96/.
Five junior couples are competing.
(BTW, Ritter/Wang and Nicklas/Ryan will have a rematch after a close one-two finish at U.S. Challenge Skate.)​

The two Junior Dance entries at Eastern Sectional Ice Dance Challenge: Ling/Wein and Tkachenko/Kiliakov. (No listing for Senior Dance.)

Good luck to all competitors at sectionals. :yay:

And to Team USA at JGP Italy, especially Oona and Gage.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are H/D not competing before the GP season? I would figure how they ended last season not medaling at 4CC and barely getting on the podium at Worlds they would want to get out there and show that they have better programs then last season. They aren't so good like P/C that they can afford to just sit back and not compete while there competition are getting out their and competing and showing off their new programs..

believed

On the Ice
Why are H/D not competing before the GP season? I would figure how they ended last season not medaling at 4CC and barely getting on the podium at Worlds they would want to get out there and show that they have better programs then last season. They aren't so good like P/C that they can afford to just sit back and not compete while there competition are getting out their and competing and showing off their new programs..

They’ve said that they felt too rushed last season and have decided to learn from their mistakes and take time to develop their programs instead.

oly2018

Final Flight

In a recent interview, Marie-France said they made the decision to debut their programs at Skate America so they have enough time to develop them. IMO, it's a bad strategy. So far, the challengers have show there will be some movement in standing this year and I don't think H/D are securely US #1 or World #3. Who knows, maybe they will debut in a few weeks and everything will be fine, but for a team with challenges last year, it seems like they would need a few competitions under their belt before their assignments.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Claire Cloutier :) interviewed Michael Parsons and Caroline Green for USFS Fan Zone.

Green and Parsons Start Down New Path Together

10/2/2019 11:54:00 AM

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...and-parsons-start-down-new-path-together.aspx

Good luck to Caroline and Michael at Skate America. :ghug:

ETA:

Happy Birthday today (Oct 3) both to Michael :hb: and to Caroline :hb:.​

Still cheering for Team USA at JGP Italy. Go, Oona and Gage :yay:.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Why are H/D not competing before the GP season? I would figure how they ended last season not medaling at 4CC and barely getting on the podium at Worlds they would want to get out there and show that they have better programs then la. Theg

Getting on the podium imho is an amazing feat. They are battling with Chock and Bates for US no. 1; they seem to be clearly ahead of the Canadians with Weapo go. They look pretty good going into this season. The world silver medallists look like they are sitting precarious and could be beaten by their Russian counterparts. all is not doom and gloom for HD.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Getting on the podium imho is an amazing feat. They are battling with Chock and Bates for US no. 1; they seem to be clearly ahead of the Canadians with Weapo go. They look pretty good going into this season. The world silver medallists look like they are sitting precarious and could be beaten by their Russian counterparts. all is not doom and gloom for HD.

imo S/K have established themselves as the No.1 team in Russia. They've already been posting huge scores at the Challengers and are skating quite well. H/D seem comparatively more vulnerable to C/B, and H/D didn't outscore S/K at Worlds or even at WTT. I think they know they have to come out of the gate with quality programs and not put doubt in the judges' minds by making major changes throughout the season like last year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
imo S/K have established themselves as the No.1 team in Russia. They've already been posting huge scores at the Challengers and are skating quite well.

No. Sinitsina & Katsalapov have only attended one Challenger. (Nepela). They have the 5th highest SB score from an ISU event this preseason.

5th being behind Gilles & Poirier, Chock & Bates, Guignard & Fabbri, and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen. It's very early in the season. Events tend to be scored differently and S&K left points on the table at Nepela. I don't think this current 5th place ranking means anything in particular. (5th in a list that does not yet include the reigning gold, bronze, or 4th place finishers from Worlds). But S&K certainly haven't proven anything with their score there yet.

Do not confuse the Shanghai Trophy with a Challenger. It is not an ISU or A-level event.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
No. Sinitsina & Katsalapov have only attended one Challenger. (Nepela). They have the 5th highest SB score from an ISU event this preseason.

5th being behind Gilles & Poirier, Chock & Bates, Guignard & Fabbri, and Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen. It's very early in the season. Events tend to be scored differently and S&K left points on the table at Nepela. I don't think this current 5th place ranking means anything in particular. (5th in a list that does not yet include the reigning gold, bronze, or 4th place finishers from Worlds). But S&K certainly haven't proven anything with their score there yet.

Do not confuse the Shanghai Trophy with a Challenger. It is not an ISU or A-level event.

Proof that it's not an ISU sanctioned event?

I'm saying they've been scoring well in their own events. I see relatively minimal value in comparing their scores to other teams at other events, especially when some of those teams were skating at home. If we went by the preseason last season, H/D would have won the silver at Worlds. I'm much more interested in how the programs look.

And all I said was that they look like they're being positioned as the No.1 Russian team. They pulled away from S/B last season. Don't really see how that's controversial or so off base to inspire that response.

happycamper2554

On the Ice

It has its own isu page and the scores say seasons best. not sure if they get standings points but im pretty sure the scores count

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/sht19/