2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

LaArdilla

Medalist
Have the rules changed since last year, then? You could get your SB only at ISU championships, GPs and challengers. The results at Senior Bs (also ISU events, after all) counted as TES minimums, but not as SB...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It has its own isu page and the scores say seasons best. not sure if they get standings points but im pretty sure the scores count

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/sht19/

I have no idea if the scores will count (normally I would expect not, but the showing SB is a bit weird if not). However, tons of events that don't count for SB have ISU pages. That tells you nothing. Japan Open has an ISU page. Senior B events have ISU pages.

slider11

Medalist
Since this thread is US Ice Dance, I would like to put my support towards Hawayek and Baker. I really like their FD this year. At first, I was concerned about a Latin/Flamenco type dance and how they would pull it off. But I really like the feisty nature in which they performed at Nebelhorn. This has possibilities! It may be hard to by-pass the hold of Hubbell/Donahue and Chock/Bates, but I hope they have a lock on third. And maybe put some thinking in the minds of judges to move them up higher!

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Since this thread is US Ice Dance, I would like to put my support towards Hawayek and Baker. I really like their FD this year. At first, I was concerned about a Latin/Flamenco type dance and how they would pull it off. But I really like the feisty nature in which they performed at Nebelhorn. This has possibilities! It may be hard to by-pass the hold of Hubbell/Donahue and Chock/Bates, but I hope they have a lock on third. And maybe put some thinking in the minds of judges to move them up higher!

I think they will be passed by C/P by nationals maybe also M/C

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree their free dance is interesting but rther than gaining ground on the top two H AND B really seem to struggling to stay on the world team. Even on the world stage they look like they are moving down than up. Carreira and Ponomarenko and Green and Parsons and Macnamara and Carpentar are going to be threats in the US and on the world stage the Dandians and the third Russian team and who knows who else could threaten them.

Bcash

Final Flight
And I don't understand why that's the case. Jean-Luc has some of the best skating skills in the world and Hawayek is skating with so much confidence and expression. Theirs are the true senior programs compared to the younger American teams, plus much more interesting and better skated than the Danadians'.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
And I don't understand why that's the case. Jean-Luc has some of the best skating skills in the world and Hawayek is skating with so much confidence and expression. Theirs are the true senior programs compared to the younger American teams, plus much more interesting and better skated than the Danadians'.

I think the Dandaniens and c/p both have better sets of programs. H/B's are weird and seem to be trying to disguise deficiencies. Plus the lack of height difference makes everything look weird

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the Dandaniens and c/p both have better sets of programs. H/B's are weird and seem to be trying to disguise deficiencies. Plus the lack of height difference makes everything look weird

It used to be a truism in Ice Dance that you wanted partners to be of relatively similar height because it made for more beautiful lines. Frankly, much as I love teams like China's Wang/Liu, the more extreme height differential does make them look less graceful.

Unfortunately, I was not so impressed by H/B's programs this year. The packaging just misses the mark by a country mile (Kaitlyn, sweetie, you should sue for what they did to your hair in the RD and what looks like a costume that weighs a ton in the FD; Jean-Luc, the brocade muppet jacket in the FD is a crime against Good Taste), and the dances themselves... Well, don't get me started. And I'm saying all of this because they are one of my favorite ID teams. Montreal has greatly improved their twizzles and given Kaitlyn new-found confidence, but I'm not sure if they're going to benefit more than that. Hope I'm wrong.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
It used to be a truism in Ice Dance that you wanted partners to be of relatively similar height because it made for more beautiful lines. Frankly, much as I love teams like China's Wang/Liu, the more extreme height differential does make them look less graceful.

Unfortunately, I was not so impressed by H/B's programs this year. The packaging just misses the mark by a country mile (Kaitlyn, sweetie, you should sue for what they did to your hair in the RD and what looks like a costume that weighs a ton in the FD; Jean-Luc, the brocade muppet jacket in the FD is a crime against Good Taste), and the dances themselves... Well, don't get me started. And I'm saying all of this because they are one of my favorite ID teams. Montreal has greatly improved their twizzles and given Kaitlyn new-found confidence, but I'm not sure if they're going to benefit more than that. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm worried that montreal has reached the point that they don't have enough quality material for all the teams they have. Some of the programs especially both of H/B's are especially puzzling (i won't get started on Smart/Diaz's free in the U.S. Dance thread)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It has its own isu page and the scores say seasons best. not sure if they get standings points but im pretty sure the scores count

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/sht19/

My apologies. If it has an ISU page, then it must be an ISU event. But since it's not a Challenger/GP/or Major International, the scores do not count as season's best. Per a poster on FSU, as an invitational, it won't count toward World Standings points either--though I've not seen any link to the rules for that. (I know that senior Bs count toward WS while the Japan Open does not). TV coverage for both Universiade & the Youth Olympics labeled scores as SBs, but those scores did not count on the ISU SB lists.

oly2018

Final Flight
I'm worried that montreal has reached the point that they don't have enough quality material for all the teams they have. Some of the programs especially both of H/B's are especially puzzling (i won't get started on Smart/Diaz's free in the U.S. Dance thread)

I am worried about this too. In a recent interview, all Marie-France had to say about H/D's new free dance it is very American. What does that even mean? I think the Montreal team really clicks with C/B, but I am not sure about how much thought is going into all of the programs.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If you look at the ISU site lists right now, I believe you can tell that the Shanghai Trophy scores don't count for either World Standings or Season's Best. The lists appear up to date after this weekend with Egna JGP scores already reflected on the SB list and World Standings list. Athletes who competed at the Shanghai Trophy are credited with technical minimum scores.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Love love their RD this year! Been longing for Saturday Night Fever program for ages... :agree2:

Blossom on Ice

Rinkside
An extract from my interview with Madison Chock and Evan Bates after their free dance at Finlandia Trophy: “We’re happy to put on a good skate and head to the Grand Prix”

Your outfit looks quite amazing. Would you please tell us about your costume?

Madison:

I was inspired by a runway show that Julien Macdonald did, and so that was the inspiration behind the dress. I’m a snake in the program, so I wanted it to look kind of reptilian, but also a touch Egyptian, with the golds and the turquoise. Mathieu Caron and I had an amazing time working on the design process, and it came out wonderfully. I’m so happy with it.

You’re a snake in the free dance. Who is Evan?

Madison:

Well, it’s a snake dance, so I’m a snake and he is a traveler. He finds me in the desert and uncovers my box that I’ve been hiding in and living in…

Evan:

Well, we’ve been joking it’s a box (smiles).

Madison:

Yes, we’ve been joking it’s a box. It’s probably a woven basket, but we told Marie, “Oh yeah, box. It’s a box” (laughs).

But yes, so he finds me and then I come to life, and I turn into a woman, and he can’t decide if it’s a trick of the desert, like a mirage —

Evan:

A mirage, like I’m super-dehydrated and don’t know what’s happening (both laugh).

Madison:

We dance together, and he doesn’t know if I’m a snake or a woman, if I’m going to hurt him or he’s falling in love with me. That’s the whole kind of interweaving of the story, kind of a cat and mouse, snake and man.