2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Not to mention Green and Parsons had a promising start and Avonley will be senior by then and will be pushing the teams in front of them as well. ...

Just "Avonley will be senior by then"???? Don't understand the absence of Vadym's name. He ain't chopped liver -- he deserves as much credit for the success of their partnership as she does. Their future together as seniors does look bright. :agree:

And I hope that much success lies ahead for Caroline and Michael too. :agree:

Leelee425

On the Ice
Just "Avonley will be senior by then"???? Don't understand the absence of Vadym's name. He ain't chopped liver -- he deserves as much credit for the success of their partnership as she does. Their future together as seniors does look bright. :agree:

And I hope that much success lies ahead for Caroline and Michael too. :agree:

I’m sorry, I like Vadym too! For the first time ever I watched the junior Grand Prix in full and I saw them and thought they were incredible, both Avonley and Vadym! I just had no clue how to spell his name and am typing on a iPad which makes it such a pain to toggle back and forth between pages looking at scores and names so I just said her name thinking people will know I meant their team. I was just being lazy, but they are both equally great (a team after all!) and I look forward to seeing how far they’ll go as seniors!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I’m sorry, I like Vadym too! For the first time ever I watched the junior Grand Prix in full and I saw them and thought they were incredible, both Avonley and Vadym! I just had no clue how to spell his name and am typing on a iPad which makes it such a pain to toggle back and forth between pages looking at scores and names so I just said her name thinking people will know I meant their team. I was just being lazy, but they are both equally great (a team after all!) and I look forward to seeing how far they’ll go as seniors!

Thank you for the explanation :ghug:, which makes me feel better.
It's still early in their career together, but I hope that they will go very far. :pray:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think they could still maintain their number 3 spot this year, especially if they improve on their levels. But looking towards Beijing 2022...at this rate I see potential for them to be passed by C/P or M/C by 2022. Not to mention Green and Parsons had a promising start and Avonley will be senior by then and will be pushing the teams in front of them as well. US ice dance is deep and it’s not going to get any easier to make that team.
I don't think Nguyen/Kolesnik are likely to be able to compete for an Olympic berth because of Vadym's citizenship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Nguyen/Kolesnik are likely to be able to compete for an Olympic berth because of Vadym's citizenship.

They wouldn't have a chance at top 3 anyway just starting out as a senior team. Even if they won JW and turned senior for 20-21, that wouldn't be enough time to be an established team the following season.

OTOH, Carreira / Ponomarenko have a shot at replacing Hawayek / Baker as US #3, but her citizenship problems could thwart them for an Olympic berth. Both C/P and N/K could be strong contenders for '26 if their citizenship problems are resolved.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They wouldn't have a chance at top 3 anyway just starting out as a senior team. Even if they won JW and turned senior for 20-21, that wouldn't be enough time to be an established team the following season.

OTOH, Carreira / Ponomarenko have a shot at replacing Hawayek / Baker as US #3, but her citizenship problems could thwart them for an Olympic berth. Both C/P and N/K could be strong contenders for '26 if their citizenship problems are resolved.

where is from Carreira from? If the Shibsibs come back HB are goners. They really have struggled the last couple of years in the us and being passed by teams from Canada and others too. Mind you I doubt the shibsibs will come back.They will be fighting with Chock and BAtes and Hubbell and Donahue both in the US and for a world ad olympic medal. They probably can tell gold is out of the question = maybe team if th ey get to compete.in the team event.

laceylou

Rinkside
where is from Carreira from? If the Shibsibs come back HB are goners. They really have struggled the last couple of years in the us and being passed by teams from Canada and others too. Mind you I doubt the shibsibs will come back.They will be fighting with Chock and BAtes and Hubbell and Donahue both in the US and for a world ad olympic medal. They probably can tell gold is out of the question = maybe team if th ey get to compete.in the team event.

Carreira is from Canada

litenkyckling

Final Flight

I think that H/B will likely get the Olympic spot if they can maintain a top 4 position nationally if they are ahead/behind C/P. Obviously, the political make up of the USA changes all the time, but as it stands I think there is a high chance that C/P will earn the Olympic spot but won't be able to take it. I think by 2026 they should be ok though.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I think that H/B will likely get the Olympic spot if they can maintain a top 4 position nationally if they are ahead/behind C/P. Obviously, the political make up of the USA changes all the time, but as it stands I think there is a high chance that C/P will earn the Olympic spot but won't be able to take it. I think by 2026 they should be ok though.

It still seems like it's a tall order to expect H/B to hold off so many rising teams for 2-3 more seasons. I guess nothing's impossible though.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
It still seems like it's a tall order to expect H/B to hold off so many rising teams for 2-3 more seasons. I guess nothing's impossible though.

Well in reality, this year they just need to get through nationals - then that leaves 2021 and 2022 where they need to keep in the top 4. Obviously, no idea how M/C are looking and Gr/Pa likely won't make the jump this year and I'm not sure that N/K would necessarily be ready by 2022. But who knows, ice is slippy but politics is slippier!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Are C/B officially in the GPF with two silvers or do they need to wait until after NHK? I think if they beat H/D in Torino, then they will have the momentum.

The final will probably be P/C, H/D, C/B, G/P, S/K and S/B.

That would be great: 2 Russian, 2 US, 1 Canadian and 1 French team. A pity there won't be any Italians, but still a nice mixture. And another moment for C/B's wonderful Free!

meem

On the Ice
Oh boy--a return to Torino! For a lot of us, it's going to bring back some mighty dramatic memories. I believe that was the most memorable night in the history of competitive figure skating. Here's hoping that Chock/Bates beat H/D and S/K (altho' I do love watching Katsalopov skate...he really brings choreography to life).

slider11

Medalist
It was interesting to hear on the US Olympic Channel, Tanith White and Ben Agosto commentating the Cup of China ice dance. Ben was baffled as to why Hawayek and Baker were getting low levels and GOEs. They re-showed an element that was given a basic score and Ben mentioned that they had a good choctaw where Tanith says she thought they were off on that move. They further remarked that judges judge those moves differently and what one thinks is good, another doesn't like. It goes beyond subjective artistry but whether or not certain leg, edge and arm movements are needed to hit the mark. There should be some consistent standards as to what makes a successful level, if they don't already exist. And if a judge is not applying those standards correctly, the isu should intervene. Jean-Luc is known as such a strong skater; so is it Kaitlin who is not hitting these levels? It seems the judges are holding both down in elements that have a man/woman score. I hope the Gadbois coaches are analyzing this and providing corrective assistance. I also agree with the possible costume change for Kaitlin and perhaps a bit more of a comedic flair. The competition in the US is tough but I think they are a solid team who deserve third rank in the US.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That would be great: 2 Russian, 2 US, 1 Canadian and 1 French team. A pity there won't be any Italians, but still a nice mixture. And another moment for C/B's wonderful Free!

I think C/B’s free will be a major highlight of the season! I thought it was pretty fun when someone threw a “snake stuffie” (a cute one, not a creepy one); if this catches on even close to Hanyu’s Poohs, imagine the post-skate ice covered with ... snakes.:eek:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Have we had an updates on her citizenship battle? Or would it be possible for them to go to skate for Canada?
The issue isn't so much that Carreira can't become a citizen, but that she's being denied the expedited route that would allow her to become a citizen in time for Beijing. So it's not something that would require switching countries (at this juncture, even if they did, Ponomarenko would never be able to qualify for Canadian citizenship in time, so there'd be no benefit).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The issue isn't so much that Carreira can't become a citizen, but that she's being denied the expedited route that would allow her to become a citizen in time for Beijing. So it's not something that would require switching countries (at this juncture, even if they did, Ponomarenko would never be able to qualify for Canadian citizenship in time, so there'd be no benefit).

Even if he did get citizenship in time, he might be hit by the "new Canadian Olympic qualification curse" that has already taken out Katitlyn Weaver, Piper Gilles, and Lubov Illyuschkina.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Best wishes to all the young ice dance teams competing in Ice Dance Finals this week! Looking forward to watching on U.S. Fan Zone and NBCsports Gold!

Shani

On the Ice
I really enjoyed watching Parsons/Green today on the livefeed. The Parsons left me cold before as I observed because it is hard to be connected to a sibling and project emotionally on romantic themes. This is the first time I thought Michael Parsons had a sense of humor and Caroline Green was awesome. Kudos to the coaches for giving them a fun light dance. I think a few minor errors but they will progress rapidly in the next few years.